Very disappointed

Had a look at a white sr today and it’s not for me, which is a great disappointment.

Firstly I’m not impressed with the two dealers I left my details with as they couldn’t be bothered to inform that they had taken delivery of the demo.

I liked the look of the car but it does need larger wheels to fill the arches better. It also needs the roof spoiler from the trophy model but I could live with it. The rear fake light bar was a bit heavy handed, I would have preferred it to be slimmer, but again not enough to put me off.

The interior…… dear god you could not make a darker, gloomier interior if you tried! I could not live with that interior. Who ever thought that a black roof lining is cool needs to be hung, drawn and quartered!

The quality was very mixed, the dash is very nice in soft touch plastic but the door cards are hard plastic, the speaker grills were made of plastic that looked as if they were intended for Toysrus.
The seats were appalling, the quality of the material is coarse and cheap but the manufacturing was terrible with material rucked up on the side bolsters…..if your car turns up with poorly assembled seats I’d be making a real fuss!

When I left the showroom and sat in my A3 the difference in quality was night and day. MG are going to have to try much harder if they want my money.
What were the seats like for comfort? I remember in the mid to late 2000's the most uncomfortable seats I sat in were my old A3 and a VW transporter. Mind you my 2018 Seat Leon is reasonably comfortable, I'm wondering if it was the lack of lumbar support, I assumed that the option of an electronic lumbar support was an extra over a manual controlled lumbar support, nope, it was electronic lumbar or no lumbar support!

I know the feeling about moving into a car with plasticky panels, when I went from a base model A3 to my Focus ST the leatherette finish an plastics felt much less nice then the Leon felt worse again. However as I only touch the steering wheel and the gear stick and a few buttons it doesn't matter too much.

Who ever thought that a black roof lining is cool needs to be hung, drawn and quartered!

That I find particularly funny. I seem to recall paying extra for it on my 1 Series M-Sport back in the day (or was it part of the M Package?).

Since you compared it, I had a look at the Audi A3 configurator. There you'll get the black headliner (apparently only) if you get the "S line" or "Edition 1" Packages. In Germany, it's a 235 Euro option that I'd go for any day:

Audi_Headliner.png

In Germany, they sell the MG4 Trophy (Luxury) with Grey/Orange Interior for €1k Extra
Luxury-Grey-Interior.jpg

and while I'd love the Seats, this package comes with a grey headliner, while I want the black headliner.

Perhaps it's because I am used to it from BMW M; Audi S; and AMG cars, but I feel it makes the car appear significantly much more sporty and upscale in my humble opinion.

Disappointing to hear the seats are poor. My first edition ZS pleather seats are fine. Indeed I was impressed by the interior at the price compared to my top of the range Passat with its real leather, the MG Is far more comfortable, whether it is the more upright seating position or just better body hugging form I am not sure? But we did a 300 mile trip last week and my 75 year old body didn’t complain more than usual!
The first decent long trip we have done. My wife drove most of the outward journey at breakneck speed after I pointed out we were behind time for an appointment. Apparently she was touching 90 mph for quite a lot of the way!

That I find particularly funny. I seem to recall paying extra for it on my 1 Series M-Sport back in the day (or was it part of the M Package?).

Since you compared it, I had a look at the Audi A3 configurator. There you'll get the black headliner (apparently only) if you get the "S line" or "Edition 1" Packages. In Germany, it's a 235 Euro option that I'd go for any day:

View attachment 11211

In Germany, they sell the MG4 Trophy (Luxury) with Grey/Orange Interior for €1k Extra
View attachment 11212
and while I'd love the Seats, this package comes with a grey headliner, while I want the black headliner.

Perhaps it's because I am used to it from BMW M; Audi S; and AMG cars, but I feel it makes the car appear significantly much more sporty and upscale in my humble opinion.
I think the black is a bit claustrophobic.

Maybe keep an eye out on ebay or with breakers - Its very easy to swap seats.

[...]The seats were appalling, the quality of the material is coarse and cheap but the manufacturing was terrible with material rucked up on the side bolsters…..if your car turns up with poorly assembled seats I’d be making a real fuss![...]
This is interesting as the seat quality has been questioned from early on and, in at least a couple of reviews they've looked more tired than they should on a new car. It'll be good to see how/if they hold up over time, and whether any issues are covered by warranty or just put down to 'normal wear and tear' There should be a decent minimum quality level being hit as with their other cars, but at the same time it'd be silly to compare it to Audi et al given the price difference.

View attachment 11211

View attachment 11212

I'd much rather have the black headlining and pillar trims, with the grey seats (without the orange in any capacity). Pretty close to the colour scheme I have now, and have never found it to be too dark - the cheaper looking white trim is one of the few things I dislike about the ZS.

Anyone know how the interior quality compares to a Nissan leaf? I have a 2018 leaf and an MG4 on order to replace it.

For that matter, can anyone who's been in a 4 tell me if it is more or less spacious feeling in the back

Had a look at a trophy and an SE now.
The seat base is a concern. Even on the trophy. The side squabs on the seat back are ok, but the seat base isnt anything like firm enough.
I note that the electric seat doesn't seem to give slope adjustment for the base- its up and down only. I'm used to being able to alter the angle of the seat base. tbh the electric seat adjustment is a bit of a waste of time/money without memory. Again I'm used to the car automatically setting theseat depending on which key opens it.

It drives well though.
I'd be happy with the SE if it had the 360 camera. For me thats the thing that means the trophy is the only one to buy.
One dealer has told me they will look into the possibility of adding a reversing camera to an SE for a cost of course. I would only really take the car if they can do this as I personally feel it would be a backwards step coming from a 40kwh leaf

Anyone know how the interior quality compares to a Nissan leaf? I have a 2018 leaf and an MG4 on order to replace it.

For that matter, can anyone who's been in a 4 tell me if it is more or less spacious feeling in the back
I sat in one on Saturday - I'm 6ft 1" and I found it very comfortable in the back for head and leg room, and that was with the front seat set for me too

I had a Puma Vignale previously, and while not quite as plush, the interior of the mg4 was very nice I thought

Had a look at a white sr today and it’s not for me, which is a great disappointment.

Firstly I’m not impressed with the two dealers I left my details with as they couldn’t be bothered to inform that they had taken delivery of the demo.

I liked the look of the car but it does need larger wheels to fill the arches better. It also needs the roof spoiler from the trophy model but I could live with it. The rear fake light bar was a bit heavy handed, I would have preferred it to be slimmer, but again not enough to put me off.

The interior…… dear god you could not make a darker, gloomier interior if you tried! I could not live with that interior. Who ever thought that a black roof lining is cool needs to be hung, drawn and quartered!

The quality was very mixed, the dash is very nice in soft touch plastic but the door cards are hard plastic, the speaker grills were made of plastic that looked as if they were intended for Toysrus.
The seats were appalling, the quality of the material is coarse and cheap but the manufacturing was terrible with material rucked up on the side bolsters…..if your car turns up with poorly assembled seats I’d be making a real fuss!

When I left the showroom and sat in my A3 the difference in quality was night and day. MG are going to have to try much harder if they want my money.
Just been down for first test drive (orange Trophy) and found the car fantastic to drive. Excellent handling and ride, really pulls well too, plenty of performance. We had already ordered a white Trophy and very pleased with what we see.

If I may say so, you might have unrealistic expectations. This is not in the premium Audi market, but for the price I thought the interior was refreshingly modern and sleek with nice soft-touch materials on the parts you actually touch. Yes there are hard plastics but not on the bits you touch so who cares?

Electric cars benefit from small wheels for both rolling resistance and ride quality. Sure you can buy other cars with massive wheels but they only hurt the actual performance.

We were pleasantly surprised with the space inside, much bigger than expected. The seats were comfy at first try, not sure what they would be like for a long journey. Yes there’s no lumbar support but this is a low cost vehicle, so no surprise. The ‘leather’ looked properly put together.

Yes, it is very dark inside. I like that, means minimal distracting reflections. Also the forward visibility is very good. I can see why the darkness might not be for some.

Tom.

One thing I did notice is that the projecting plinth with the gear selector and handbrake did jut out against my left leg, which could potentially be an issue. I am 6ft 1 and long-legged, won't be an issue for shorter folk. There is a lot of adjustment in the seat and steering column, so I am confident I can solve this with the right setup.

There was absolutely no problem having enough leg room or headroom. Headroom seems excellent. In the back, headroom is also great. Legroom less so, partly due to the higher floor (like most EVs) and partly due to limited space under the front seat depending on the height setting. This is not a problem for us as we only occasionally have rear passengers.

Daughter says that there is more room in the back of the 4. Also she liked that the rear floor was flat rather than having a hump in the leaf.

I'm a bit conflicted on the 4. I thought that the ride/drive was good - better than the leaf easily. The trim not so much. The seat base cushions squash right down rather than providing support. I found the leather seats in a leaf much better than the cloth ones, but both are better than the mg seats.

They are actually in the dealers now so I'd say go look at one and see for yourself.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back