Vin Numbers for Faulty BMS update identification

Delboy102000

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Does anyone know where to access the vin number range of ZS Ev cars suspected of having the faulty patch installed.
My full charge voltage on a 2021 car is 455 volts and the range seems to drop of fast even when driven at a steady 65 mile per hour. The other day I started a journey with a margin of 75 miles and ended with 30 mile margin after reducing speed to 50/55 mph and turning heater off. Does this sound like I have the bad patch.

Does anyone know where to access the vin number range of ZS Ev cars suspected of having the faulty patch installed.
My full charge voltage on a 2021 car is 455 volts and the range seems to drop of fast even when driven at a steady 65 mile per hour. The other day I started a journey with a margin of 75 miles and ended with 30 mile margin after reducing speed to 50/55 mph and turning heater off. Does this sound like I have the bad patch.
Only the dealer ( if then ) has that information sorry.
If you are seeing 445 - 456 volts after a full charge and balance, then I would suggest that you are indeed running on the original factory BMS software.
This does not necessarily mean that you DO have the “Buggy” though.
Just remember if you have the HVAC running for heat, it will reduce your range by a lot !.
Of course the weather conditions plays a big part in range reduction as well.
Next time you are in the car, watch the effect on the GOM as you turn on the HVAC and increase the demand for heat.
You are likely to loose any thing between 10 and 15 instantly, as you request more and more heat.
There is some brilliant posts on the whole BMS thing on the forum, a quick search 👀 will proved all the info you require.

If you are on 455v after full charge and balance you are not on the dodgy BMS. :)

if that was a typo and you are on 445v, then it's likely you are.

If you have not seen it before have a look at this website which gives an idea of real world ranges

the entry for the ZS EV is here

and an extract from it.

Real Range between 95 - 210 mi​

City - Cold Weather140 mi
Highway - Cold Weather95 mi
Combined - Cold Weather115 mi

City - Mild Weather210 mi
Highway - Mild Weather120 mi
Combined - Mild Weather155 mi

Miles you lose and miles you gain on the GOM vary quite a lot.
If you start at 160 in Normal mode, roughly speaking you can subtract 10 for heating (or 10 for AC in Summer), subtract 10 for Sport mode, subtract 10 for travelling over 50 mph, 5 for a headwind, 5-10 for a wet rain as the tyres are working to disperse x gallons of water beneath them and if it's very cold the battery heater may kick in and take more off.
So you're going to end up with 140 miles range at most travelling at 65mph with the heating on and if it's cold, wet and there's a headwind and you put it in Sport mode you could be down to 110 miles or less.
The miles/kWh multiplied by 42 (usable battery capacity) is a better indication of how many miles you'll get.

If you are on 455v after full charge and balance you are not on the dodgy BMS. :)

if that was a typo and you are on 445v, then it's likely you are.

If you have not seen it before have a look at this website which gives an idea of real world ranges

the entry for the ZS EV is here

and an extract from it.

Real Range between 95 - 210 mi​

City - Cold Weather140 mi
Highway - Cold Weather95 mi
Combined - Cold Weather115 mi

City - Mild Weather210 mi
Highway - Mild Weather120 mi
Combined - Mild Weather155 mi
Thanks for that all helpful stuff. Yes it’s 455 after overnight on the 7kw pod.
This morning in economy it showed 182 range which immediately dropped down to 147 when switching on the heater and air con. Running voltage when driving with wipers , air con, hrw was 439

This morning in economy it showed 182 range which immediately dropped down to 147 when switching on the heater and air con. Running voltage when driving with wipers , air con, hrw was 439
I lot of folk (me included) recommend resetting the trip after a full charge so that the GOM range is reset to using the WLTP calculation.
At least this way you are seeing a consistent reading from the GOM (163 in N3) and, you can make an educated guess/calculation based on what type of journey/conditions you will next be undertaking.

Forget the GOM, the Voltage is the indicator if you have the bad BMS.

FWIW, it was wet and windy this morning and I managed to get 2.7 m/kWh with the heat on, driving steady, whereas on a colder but dry day I would normally get over 3 m/kWh (3.5 without heating) on the same journey. Based on that I have a feeling rain might take more off than just cold.

Same with my 2021 registered ZS. A 50 miles M5 trip took 80 miles of charge, steady 55-65

Bit of an update. The figures I quoted at the start were after a full slow charge and equalisation last night.

This afternoon when looking at the cars settings I saw mileage remaining 142 miles(after sixteen miles this morning) and volts 439, which prompted me to recharge and equalise again.

Charge took 1 hour and equalisation has been going on again for over four hours. Does this sound like the good BMS patch or the bad one. Appreciate any further comments.

Further update , just finished equalisation after 4.25 hours , only 10% recharge, and volts of 457, and eco miles 175. I feel this is definitely not the new BMS update but others may think I am wrong
You are correct in your assumption.
As first thought, you are running on the original factory BMS software then.
Your voltage looks right.
4hrs 25 mins to conduct a balance cycle is not that uncommon with the new BMS, but on the older BMS the balancing should only take around about 1 hour.
Therefore, this would indicate that your pack is indeed a little out of balance.
Running voltage when driving with wipers , air con, hrw was 439
To verify your pack voltage, check it when the car is stationary with ALL electrical items turned off.

You are correct in your assumption.
As first thought, you are running on the original factory BMS software then.
Your voltage looks right.
4hrs 25 mins to conduct a balance cycle is not that uncommon with the new BMS, but on the older BMS the balancing should only take around about 1 hour.
Therefore, this would indicate that your pack is indeed a little out of balance.

To verify your pack voltage, check it when the car is stationary with ALL electrical items turned off.
Thanks, the volts quoted are all on the basis you say. Other than the 439 I quoted when driving this morning. The 439 I took before charging this afternoon from 90% was on the basis you say. The charge time was about 45 minutes to Full charge then 3.25 hours for equalisation . However I did a full equalisation charge the night before anyway. So you think I need to get the new patch loaded? The strange thing is that the comfort pack is on the car already.

I have the latest BMS giving 449/448 miles after full charge. On eco I get 179 miles dropping to around 147 with heater/ air con on (still in eco mode). Your figures look pretty normal to me and a lot better than what some others have reported. Running voltage is not relevant.

I have the latest BMS giving 449/448 miles after full charge. On eco I get 179 miles dropping to around 147 with heater/ air con on (still in eco mode). Your figures look pretty normal to me and a lot better than what some others have reported. Running voltage is not relevant.
Agreed, thanks the figures do not look bad, however as the BMS update is to improve battery life and regen I think I must get it installed. Everything points to the old pack being on the car.

Does the car charge with the doors unlocked?
If not then make sure that they do the EVCC update as well. :)
Further update , just finished equalisation after 4.25 hours , only 10% recharge, and volts of 457, and eco miles 175. I feel this is definitely not the new BMS update but others may think I am wrong
As stated earlier if you have 455v+ after a charge and balance you do NOT have the dodgy BMS, you just have the ORIGINAL BMS.
There is nothing wrong with the original, you will not get any greater range with the update to the 449/450v BMS.
However it is reportedly beneficial in that it preserves battery life a little better long term and as a bonus you get regen immediately (you may notice on yours that when fully charged when you start up that it warns you there will be limited regen).

Yes it has the comfort pack installed, but that is separate from the BMS generation 2 update. Everything points according to all of the fantastic information on this forum to it being installed currently with the last good BMS
If not then make sure that they do the EVCC update as well. :)

As stated earlier if you have 455v+ after a charge and balance you do NOT have the dodgy BMS, you just have the ORIGINAL BMS.
There is nothing wrong with the original, you will not get any greater range with the update to the 449/450v BMS.
However it is reportedly beneficial in that it preserves battery life a little better long term and as a bonus you get regen immediately (you may notice on yours that when fully charged when you start up that it warns you there will be limited regen).
yes that is it exactly, 100%. Virtually no regen until some life taken out. Yes I have the comfort pack installed which is such a godsend, meaning you are not stuck and keep stopping the charge when doing things like hoovering etc.. 457 volts last night after balance and no regen this morning with warning, In view of the fact that this second generation patch has been issued for better battery life I think it is worthwhile getting it installed but do you think I should have to pay for that? Once again thanks for your help.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom