Virgin ev user

Barry wood

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just ordered a new

ZS EV Trophy today from arnold clarke in manchester.​

Super excited now and my first go at an ev.got fed up of my 200 a month fuel bill.
Any advice for a novice 1st time ev user will be appreciated

keep your left foot planted to the floor as you won't need to use it anymore, well not while driving.

I'd never driven an automatic before buying my MG5 and made the mistake of hitting the brake pedal thinking it was the non-existent clutch pedal. Learnt my lesson after hitting my head on the sun visor a couple of times.

There's a ton of useful stuff on this site, so best first recommendation would be to spend some time reading round here. There are several "newbie" threads featuring the obvious queries - "do I need a home charger and if so, which one?", "what apps and RFID cards are worth getting?", "how do I manage long drives?", etc., etc. The search box (top right of the screen, near your username) is definitely your friend.

Best second piece of advice is have fun! Once you've got the feel for it (which doesn't take long) you'll never want to return to ICE driving again.

Just ordered a new

ZS EV Trophy today from arnold clarke in manchester.​

Super excited now and my first go at an ev.got fed up of my 200 a month fuel bill.
Any advice for a novice 1st time ev user will be appreciated
Welcome but you maybe better off to use the ZS forum 🤔
I would advise getting a smart meter from your current energy supplier even if you are thinking of getting an off peak Cheap rate tariff.
Are you looking at getting a 7.5kwh EVSE unit for home charging or using a local free supermarket? You will need the PodPoint app to start a charge even if it is free.

Last edited:
Use Zap map and podpoint for charging places. Plan any journey over 70% of your cars range and leave lots of time first time round, using different charge points is not difficult you just need to take time to read the instructions. Follow instructions in the hand book for tethering and un tethering to chargers. And most of all enjoy.

keep your left foot planted to the floor as you won't need to use it anymore, well not while driving.

I'd never driven an automatic before buying my MG5 and made the mistake of hitting the brake pedal thinking it was the non-existent clutch pedal. Learnt my lesson after hitting my head on the sun visor a couple of times.
I managed to get a car with ABS to lock up the wheels doing the same. :D

Having driven autos and manuals in work for years I did get caught out once.

I had a hire car about 6 years ago in work, picked it up and immediately spent 2 hours on a fairly quiet motorway so had no need to slow down.

Got to the services for a comfort break and coming down the slip road hit the (non-existent clutch) brake with my left foot. Now this probably wouldn't have been a major issue but I drive a Defender a lot with a hard clutch so my left leg is used to a hard pedal so I kept pushing.

It took my brain about 3 seconds to work out what was going on by which point I was sliding at an angle down the wet greasy slip road. Steered out of it but thankfully never did it again though (touch wood) 😂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom