Visiting France

Wudus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
I am planning a few days holiday in France. I have a Type 2 3 phase cable and I assume finding and using EV chargers won’t be much different from UK but paying for a charge seems to be a minefield. I would like to just pay with a normal credit card or maybe my Octopus Electric Universe Card but it seems I may need to buy membership cards such as Ivizia, Chargemap, etc in advance. I don’t mind paying fees to sign up for such cards if necessary but I don’t want to pay for 4 different cards that I may not need. I would be grateful for any advice and recommendations from people who a familiar with the systems in France.

You could try Shell recharge the card is free. I would avoid Chargemap, as it is always more expensive than others. Paying by credit card is only available on Fastned stations, so not very useful for all around coverage.

Hi , all depends on your travel plans, you could use "a better route planner" app and put in your expected itinerary . It will show you the chargers available from which you can choose what cards/apps you will need. RAC have useful webpage for European travel.
Bring cream crackers!

I have a Chargepoint Card as well. I find it's often cheaper on Total Chargers.

I’ve ordered a Crit Air sticker and I have also discovered that I need UK stickers on my car reg plates for visiting France. I don’t mind because I think they look good, just a shame that they don’t quite cover the green stripe completely.

I’ve ordered a Crit Air sticker and I have also discovered that I need UK stickers on my car reg plates for visiting France. I don’t mind because I think they look good, just a shame that they don’t quite cover the green stripe completely.
Don't forget you'll also need a bunch of stuff like high-vis vests for everyone in the car, breathalysers, spare bulbs & fuses, a first-aid kit, etc, etc. Basically, all this:-

Last edited:
Don't forget you'll also need a bunch of stuff like high-vis vests for everyone in the car, breathalysers, spare bulbs & fuses, a first-aid kit, etc, etc. Basically, all this:-

Soon you'll need another car to carry all the kit!

What's the thinking with the breathalysers? That you'll stop yourself drink driving if you have them?

I am planning a few days holiday in France. I have a Type 2 3 phase cable and I assume finding and using EV chargers won’t be much different from UK but paying for a charge seems to be a minefield. I would like to just pay with a normal credit card or maybe my Octopus Electric Universe Card but it seems I may need to buy membership cards such as Ivizia, Chargemap, etc in advance. I don’t mind paying fees to sign up for such cards if necessary but I don’t want to pay for 4 different cards that I may not need. I would be grateful for any advice and recommendations from people who a familiar with the systems in France.
We just had the Electroverse (octopus) card and app for our recent France trip. Only used fast chargers but worth taking the type 2 just in case. The electroverse app displays all the chargers it is compatible with. Worked for us on the IONITY, Engie and becharge chargers we used. Nice to get an itemised bill on the octopus app as well, brings it all together.

Soon you'll need another car to carry all the kit!
It does come with its own holdall!
What's the thinking with the breathalysers? That you'll stop yourself drink driving if you have them?
I think it's legally required because the Gendarmes always forget to bring theirs. :sneaky:
It's also useful to have extras. If you're stopped and asked to use one, you instantly fall foul of the law that says you have to have two in the car.

I'm pretty sure breathalysers haven't been mandatory in France for some time. The law got shelved.

I went around Brittany and Pays de Loire last year. Almost everywhere took Electric Juice card, with a surprising number being free. Also used an Ionity on the way back to Caen as it was early and convenient, but you should be with with your Octopus card.

Only thing I would say is to take a cable with you as lots of places are untethered.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back