Volume buttons do everything but control volume

mieva

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
You hear your favourite song on internet radio, you press the volume up (steering wheel or dash control) and you loose the song forever...

I use internet radio without an app that I can't control from the car. I guess the car doesn't always know there's some music on? The volume buttons change the source to a podcast or radio, that's very very frustrating. I need to fiddle with the phone but the song's already changed to a new one.

I also can't get rid of the podcast restarting again and again but it's a different topic.

If I push the right joystick up or down it increases or decreases the volume and a bar graph appears for a couple of seconds on the infotainment screen.
If I push the joystick left or right it changes the source of the music.

If I'm listening to songs from my phone, left/right on the joystick skips back/forward in the playlist. If I'm listening to DAB radio then it changes the source (as far as I recall).

I'm speaking about joystick 'up' and 'down' right from the steering wheel, and physical buttons on the infotainement board that are clearly marked as volume. Yes, these change music source instead of volume, otherwise I wouldn't be frustrated and wouldn't be writing here. Anyone tried what they do if there is no music/radio selected? I guess they switch some sound source on. In my case the car is stupid to understand that I am listening to music already (played from my phone chrome app)

I am not playing music from my phone, so I can't comment directly. However I play music both from the radio and from a USB stick, and in both of these cases using the right joystick button does what it's supposed to do - up and down alters the volume, left and right skips to the last or the next track or to the next radio station. SE SR.

I found the buttons did not work properly until I realised that the button is not a 'toggle' button but a combined 'slide' button. Thus to use you must slide the button rather than putting a finger on top and toggling it. Have a go at various push positions to see what works.

You are absolutely correct, it is a joystick on the steering wheel. I should have said that I found that I had to think of the button as a combined slide switch. Thus to increase the media volume I push the bottom edge upwards as though it were a slide switch rather than pushing down the top edge of the button. In that way, I found that I no longer triggered a different response.

Have you solved your problem? What do the left/right motions on the wheel joystick do?

I have to say these buttons work brilliantly for me. I had a stupid fall on Wednesday evening (tripped over the edge of my rowing machine and did a perfect face-plant, how daft is that?) and bashed my left shoulder. The motion I can't do is extending that arm from the shoulder. I have to make sure everything on the infotainment screen is properly set up before I get going, and if I need the fog lamp I'm screwed. But I was able to control both the sound system and the HVAC system just as I wanted on a fairly long drive Thursday/Friday, just with my right hand on the buttons.

It may be only myself that gets annoyed with this but here goes: I have a small number of favourite DAB stations set but left or right movement of the joystick ignores them and goes to the next station in the current DAB multiplex. D'oh!

@mieva, can you please let us know the phone/connection setup you are using because the Forum seems not to be helping you.

We have responded about the steering wheel controls but not the Dash controls which you mentioned in your original post. I assume you are talking about the physical buttons on the centre console and not any touch controls on the screen.

Please respond so that others may learn or another software side-effect reported.

I selected 'Online Music' on my Trophy (without logging into Amazon Music) and the volume buttons worked ok.

You are absolutely correct, it is a joystick on the steering wheel. I should have said that I found that I had to think of the button as a combined slide switch. Thus to increase the media volume I push the bottom edge upwards as though it were a slide switch rather than pushing down the top edge of the button. In that way, I found that I no longer triggered a different response.

Have you solved your problem? What do the left/right motions on the wheel joystick do?
There's no solution. It looks like it's not a common problem so I don't expect a quick update. We can discuss the steering wheel buttons but the buttons on the infotainment are dedicated volume buttons. And instead of turning volume up they switch the source. That said, sometimes they (and steering wheel) buttons do control volume for my web based internet radio. No idea why so and what different mode I get to

Sounds like you are going to have a challenge persuading your dealer to fully investigate and solve a clear fault.

He will probably ask you lots questions, for example does it only occur for your web-based internet radio? What do the buttons do with the DAB/FM radio/USB music?

There are more ways to adjust the volume; have you tried them? That is via the settings/sounds page and, my favourite (as it gives quick access to my trophy's hotspot soft switch) by swiping down from the top right corner of the home page.

Worth a try to see if you get the same results.

It may be only myself that gets annoyed with this but here goes: I have a small number of favourite DAB stations set but left or right movement of the joystick ignores them and goes to the next station in the current DAB multiplex. D'oh!
Not only you, this is what I expected to happen when I first used it, but as you say, it just cycles through stations . So unless you 'open' the radio on the infotainment screen and reach out to select the saved station you want each time, they are inaccessible.
Also I find the labelling of saved stations bizarre.. The actual station name in tiny print under a generic station label in large print as I recall.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back