Volvo EX30 launched

I’m 65 and I like both, where does that place me? If I wasn’t picking up a ZS LRT next week and could wait a year I’d buy the Volvo . But I am where I am. 😀

I can’t believe if you like the interior of the Volvo you would also like the interior of the ZS… 😯
I had a loan ZS and mark 1 MG5 on loan when my 4 was in the garage (a lot), they were both just so damned old inside.
Buttons everywhere (many blanked on the base models I had, which just cheapens the interior) and low centre screens.
Yuck

TBH I’m surprised the ZS sells at all, it’s just so dated outside and in.
But it appeals to people of a certain age that want ‘buttons and dials’ and are used to older cars, so the materials and build quality seem fine.
It’s a time warp car for time warp people.

I’ve not even seen photos of the EX30 interior but they “won’t like the screens”, put your money on it.
Continue to be surprised then.

I will
But, as I said, there are still ‘time warp’ people out there buying cars.
God knows my mother could do with a new car, but she likes the third-world
/iron-curtain simplicity of her old Micra.
Chuck in an 8 track and a couple front speakers much better than a full soundbar

But no other speakers as a cost cutting measure.
It's not a cost cutting measure though, it's for space, as per below.

Volvo says the EX30 will be the first application of a sound bar in a production car, chosen in part because the bar's clustered speakers cut down on wiring and open up space elsewhere. That's right, the sound bar contains the only speakers in the cabin. The space in the doors where speakers normally go has been converted to storage

A full width Harman Kardon soundbar will not have any cost saving over 4 generic speakers in the doors, as the article says it's about providing more storage (probably because the boots small!)

It sounds as if this car has a sound system I'd want to sit and listen to in preference to my home hifi! Not knocking it, but I don't spend that long in the car in general. Nice to have for a long journey, and for people doing a lot of these I can see it - especially with the absence of ICE noise. But for me, it's not a deal-breaker.

It sounds as if this car has a sound system I'd want to sit and listen to in preference to my home hifi! Not knocking it, but I don't spend that long in the car in general. Nice to have for a long journey, and for people doing a lot of these I can see it - especially with the absence of ICE noise. But for me, it's not a deal-breaker.
Car stereo systems are good to a point they will never be able to beat the sound of a good home system, probably not even close.
Personally I also prefer the sound of vinyl to the digital versions of stuff you now get.

Volvo says the EX30 will be the first application of a sound bar in a production car, chosen in part because the bar's clustered speakers cut down on wiring and open up space elsewhere. That's right, the sound bar contains the only speakers in the cabin. The space in the doors where speakers normally go has been converted to storage

A full width Harman Kardon soundbar will not have any cost saving over 4 generic speakers in the doors, as the article says it's about providing more storage (probably because the boots small!)

That’s a great idea

Car stereo systems are good to a point they will never be able to beat the sound of a good home system, probably not even close.
Personally I also prefer the sound of vinyl to the digital versions of stuff you now get.

True. I put a vinyl record of something I know well and had played recently on CD on to my Linn Sondek to check on something. About five minutes in I started to cry. It was completely unexpected. It just hit me where the digital sound didn't. I was only checking on the technical occurence of a leitmotif from a musicology disc, too.

Strange one was speaking to a friend of a friend today who works for Volvo and the ex30 isn't available on PCP at the moment and no idea when it will be.
You either buy it outright or on Volvo subscription (basically lease)

Just watched this review, confirms the car is way to small in the back seat for me, looks really good but far too small in the back.
Strange because it's not much smaller than my current car but seems to be all bonnet

It's both, the extra space is a side effect of why they have done what they have done.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom