Wallbox charger or MG disconnects when to much current is drawn

dprager

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have my wallbox copper sb installed for 4 months now and have no problems charging my MG ZS EV. I installed the wallbox including a power boost module (a din rail meter) that keeps track of how much current I'm drawing on each phase.

My grid connection is 3 * 240V 25A. Since the MG can draw 7,2 kW from only a single phase this could blow the main fuse. With the wallbox I can limit the current and I have set it to 23A. Ofcourse I have other appliences at home. So on a saturday I was charging the car, baking a pizza in the oven, washingmachine and dryer where all busy. Then suddenly the car stopt charging (luckily wallbox gives you a message on your phone). So I had to unlock the car and reinitialize the charging process and again after a few minutes the car stopt charging. I could see that on one phase I was drawing 5,5kW ( a little over 23A). The wallbox should limit the current for charging. But if the other appliences are drawing 20 amps it only leaves 3Amps left for charging the car.
The power boost module does work thankfully. Otherwise my main fuse would have bown as that is expensive to replace (only to be worked on by the grid operator). So a few questions..

Has anyone experienced something similar?
Is there a minimum current supply for charging the MG ZS EV?
Who's to blame? me, the car or the wallbox unit?

I had a similar problem. I have a wallbox and charge the MG everyday. Recently it went to the garage and I was loaned a Tesla. It kept tripping the main fuse. (The fuse box is one where you can just flick the switch up again). After three of these trips, I read up on the Tesla manual, and you can turn down the current requirement. So, I turned it down from 24 amps to 18 amps and it never happened again. I guess the MG doesn't draw quite so much current. Also, the wallbox is installed on a completely separate circuit so has its own 40 amp fuse. However, it was the main fuse that was tripping, like you say...indicating that the limit of the supply was reached rather than for the individual circuit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom