Wallbox Pulsar Plus and Oct' Intelligent

IanE

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Anyone on the BETA testing with Octopus and a wallbox Pulsar plus with Intelligent?

I believe they are doing some BETA testing with the wallbox, but from what I've read MG's arent compatible as they do not report the state of charge back to the charger.

Any feeback ?

I thought IO either worked with an EVSE or car, so if they are testing the Pulsar Plus EVSE what does the car too have to be compatible?

As far as I was made aware by octopus, intelligent only worked with certain makes, any smart charger (MG is not one of them)
The only other way is an ohme and any manufacturer, I've not seen any mention of the pulsar plus

Audi, BMW, Ford, Jaguar, Kia, Land Rover, Mini, Tesla, VW (excluding ID models) work with intelligent and any smart charger

I am on the Octopus Intelligent, with my Wallbox Pulsar plus and my MG4. It appears the car isn't sending a SOB singnal back to the charger, however the charging plan is worked out on the size of the battery and what you set the Octopus Intelligent app to for the charge % and when you need the car for.
What I don't under stand, is that when I plug into a DC charge the car dose send a SOB to the charger. Maybe the WallBox is the issue??
Anyway I have the extra 2 hours (6hrs) of cheep charging at 0.075p KWH and if the charge plan take me out of those hours, it sill charges at the 0.075p KWH

The AC charging interface does not include the SOC in the data interchange. Intelligent home chargers rely on talking to the car via the over the air API - but MG do not seem to be willing to open that up to third parties.

I am on the Octopus Intelligent, with my Wallbox Pulsar plus and my MG4. It appears the car isn't sending a SOB singnal back to the charger, however the charging plan is worked out on the size of the battery and what you set the Octopus Intelligent app to for the charge % and when you need the car for.
What I don't under stand, is that when I plug into a DC charge the car dose send a SOB to the charger. Maybe the WallBox is the issue??
Anyway I have the extra 2 hours (6hrs) of cheep charging at 0.075p KWH and if the charge plan take me out of those hours, it sill charges at the 0.075p KWH
Have you had any extra slots outside the 2330-0530 window

Well the first two times I used it, it set the plan to start at 11pm and Finish at 6am (I told the app i needed the car for 6.30am) which is about the length of time (6hr) to charge from 0to80% but it won't charge for that long if the car has some battery because the car will stop charging when the SOC reaches what the car is set to.

Octopus do say that they will only charge the 0.075p KWH when smart charging, even out side the cheaper time.

Well the first two times I used it, it set the plan to start at 11pm and Finish at 6am (I told the app i needed the car for 6.30am)
With IO you do not set the start and end times, you just say how much charge you need, and when you want it by. The "Intelligent" bit from Octopus then sets the start and end times, of which there may be multiple - at least that is how the Ohme works.

I too have signed up to Octopus Intelligent but my Wallbox & MG4 isn’t playing when I try to set it up as per the instructions. I wrote to them as recommended, still no reply, I don’t understand what the problem is as they say the Wallbox is compatible.

I haven’t managed to set my Wallbox up with IO either. Followed the instructions to the letter, many times, but each attempt fails. I have given up for now. No help or explanation from Octopus.

I haven’t managed to set my Wallbox up with IO either. Followed the instructions to the letter, many times, but each attempt fails. I have given up for now. No help or explanation from Octopus.
Me too, waiting 7 days now for a response by email.

Good luck with the email response, they are very slow these days.
I did have a couple of goes to start with, but I put it down to the wallbox having issues with connecting to the Internet. I made sure the box was connected and went through the procedure again and it worked. Also, you need to have the car turned on and plugged in.

I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus ... the WiFi in it isn't great; that's why I installed a WiFi repeater inside the house but very close to the Wallbox. This makes Internet connectivity very good.

Good luck with the email response, they are very slow these days.
I did have a couple of goes to start with, but I put it down to the wallbox having issues with connecting to the Internet. I made sure the box was connected and went through the procedure again and it worked. Also, you need to have the car turned on and plugged in.
Thanks. I did everything you said you checked. I will just keep trying I guess.

I’m also on intelligent Octopus with Wallbox Pulsar plus.
Yes I did have issues connected up st first but after a few more goes, it connected.
When I plug in my MG4 in the early evening, it start charging @ 22:30, so it’s an hour before off peak rate of 7.5p.
I’m just assuming it’ll charge me @7.5p??

I must have tried at least 20 times now. It’s a slow process - ’wait 5 minutes for this to happen, 10 minutes for that process’…… And then the error messages. I’ve had several emails from Octopus now, telling me I haven’t entered the details correctly (even though I used copy and paste) and despite me sending them screenshots showing the correct stuff, screenshots of the error messages etc. The latest email informed me that I had only tried to do the test charge once, and to try again! If only I could. I just get the ‘uh oh, something went wrong’ message.

Unfortunately, it’s really messed up my Wallbox; it now requires unlocking when I need to charge, which also doesn’t happen instantly. Apparently, the UK regulator also needs 10 minutes to decide on this change!

I just want to go back to how it was, but I seem unable to ‘clear the decks’ and resume normal service.

I will try another restart of the Wallbox, and if that doesn’t bring it back to life properly, I’ll call my electrician.

I must have tried at least 20 times now. It’s a slow process - ’wait 5 minutes for this to happen, 10 minutes for that process’…… And then the error messages. I’ve had several emails from Octopus now, telling me I haven’t entered the details correctly (even though I used copy and paste) and despite me sending them screenshots showing the correct stuff, screenshots of the error messages etc. The latest email informed me that I had only tried to do the test charge once, and to try again! If only I could. I just get the ‘uh oh, something went wrong’ message.

Unfortunately, it’s really messed up my Wallbox; it now requires unlocking when I need to charge, which also doesn’t happen instantly. Apparently, the UK regulator also needs 10 minutes to decide on this change!

I just want to go back to how it was, but I seem unable to ‘clear the decks’ and resume normal service.

I will try another restart of the Wallbox, and if that doesn’t bring it back to life properly, I’ll call my electrician.
You could try email Wallbox technical, they should be able to reset your wallbox?

Every time you start the process it gives you a different set of codes. That stumped me for a while. I was on the edge of my WiFi too and it kept switching to Bluetooth. It has been OK for two days now but I am getting some strange slots

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231009_125902_Wallbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20231009_125902_Wallbox.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 47
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom