Warped brake rotor.

Kegs11

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Has anyone else suffered from warped brake rotors? My car is 2 years old, and has done only 6000 miles but I’m told the rotors are warped and that I need to replace the front disks and brake pads at a cost of nearly £500.

It's very unlikely they are warped.
Were you complaining of a judder as this can have many causes?
It's simple enough to set up a DTI and do your own runout test on both the disc and hub.

Yes there’s a judder whenever I apply the brakes, like a pulsing, and the stopping distance odd longer than normal. What could some of the other causes be? My local garage advises the rotors are warped, when they did a service on the car.

Juddering can also be caused by contamination of the pad and/or disc surface in which case it might be fixable without replacing parts. I'd want some actual evidence before I agreed to part with £500 for a brake job.

Juddering can also be caused by contamination of the pad and/or disc surface in which case it might be fixable without replacing parts. I'd want some actual evidence before I agreed to part with £500 for a brake job.
My local garage checked the brake parts and found no other defect. They say the rotor is warped. There's no financial benefit to them in telling me this, as they know if the work needs doing I'll be going to a MG dealer.

As @Alb correctly states, bolting a DTI to the car and checking for disc run out will 100% confirm if there is any warping present on the rotor / disc surface or not.
I will try and include a video of a owner of a HS / PHEV who had a similar problem.
He sourced some third party discs and pads from Borg & Beck and completed the job himself.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom