Warranty

remarkable1967

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Morning all. I did search for this but couldn't find it. I'm sure I read somewhere on here that the warranty on the battery is actually 8 years rather than the 7 years. Am I going mad or was it mentioned?

Just search this board for warranty ... the MG warranty document has been posted/linked a few times.

Edit: it took a bit of finding: :)

Edit 2: The link in there doesn't work anymore - here's the link to the MG warranty (PDF)

I did look at this but the links no longer go no longer go anywhere.

Many users will do the mileage before the 7 years is up. I think 80k miles is the limit isn’t it? I do around 15k/year so warranty for me would be less than 6 years - which is fair enough I suppose.

Not a massive amount of that list over 3 years, apart from battery, motor and anti perforation even that requires a yearly inspection from an MG authorised repairer

Is gearbox covered? Very topical.
Don't see it! Some stuff has quite a short cover: seats, cosmetic trim and 12v batteries only 12 months

Make sure it's all clear. My Golf only had a three year warranty. When it was two years and nine months old, its engine blew up. I think it was the timing belt/chain, and that the RAC repairman pretty much finished it if my own efforts to start it hadn't already done that.

First they scrutinised both my purchase date and my mileage, but these were both still in the warranty period.

Then they gave my garage owner the third degree, because he had serviced it from the get-go, trying hard to find something he hadn't done to their specifications. He even had to fax them the receipts to prove he'd bought the correct oil for the car.

He phoned me in a bit of a tizz asking me if I'd shown them the invoice he'd sent me for the most recent service, which I hadn't yet paid, because apparently he'd used a non-VW air filter somewhere because he couldn't get a VW one. He had included that on the invoice and he thought they would invalidate the warranty if they saw it. I said the invoice hadn't left my briefcase since he gave it to me. He said tear it up and I'll give you a new one that doesn't specify where I got the air filter!

Everything checked out and they couldn't find any loophole. So they sent a low-loader to cart the car to the dealer to get a new engine. Then they got really mean and refused to give me a courtesy car because I hadn't used their dealer to service the car. (The dealer was 28 miles away, and my own garage is within walking distance of my house with a bus stop outside that has a service straight to my work, why would I go near the dealer?) I had a long weekend of motor-touring in Mull booked and had been looking forward to handling the GTi round the island roads (having had my XR2 there years before). I was stuck with a boring box of a Kia or something like that, that I had to pay for myself. Skinflints.

But I did get a brand new engine with a bill for £0.00. And the car's petrol consumption was significantly better after that, for the rest of its life.

So it really pays to know what's covered and to do everything to keep in within cover.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back