Was lucky to get the panoramic roof version, until it got smashed.....

nikochan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
and now, almost six weeks with a hole in the roof, things are starting to get us down. I'm posting to garner advice over moaning as we seem to be stuck between a rock and hard place with the insurance and glass repair company.

We leased a brand new LR in October, it was a first for us, leasing, using an EV, having a brand new car - it was exciting to begin with. Then the front section of the glass roof got damaged. We got the car at the end of Autumn so have't even made use of the panny roof yet.

My insurer (Admiral) put me in touch with Autoglass for the repairs who ordered in the parts. Despite weekly calls to Autoglass I can't get any updates other than they have to wait for the glass to arrive. Going back to the insurer to ask for a temporary replacement car didn't yield anything. They say courtesy cars are provided by the garage which isn't applicable here. The enhanced hire car policy I have with them doesn't cover glass repairs, mainly theft of vehicle or while it's held by the garage suffering a repair.

We've done our best to temporarily repair the hole and managed to at least stop any water ingress to the cabin. But that repair is then 'taped' to the roof in order to secure it. We can drive it when there's no chance of rain but the tape we aren't comfortable to let get wet. The first waterproof tape attempt we removed as it was really strong and acted like glue so we didn't want to risk any paint damage.

It's been an incredibly frustrating and inconvenient six weeks to now. I work permanent nights so need a car to commute. Fortunately a kind neighbour lends me their car on wet days as they don't use it through the night. I've needed to arrange separate insurance for this as mine doesn't cover driving other vehicles - something I wasn't aware of until we looked into this.

I hate relying on the kindness of my neighbour so looking for advice and the length of time this is all taking is beginning to take it's toll on us. Any tips to get the insurance company on board with a replacement or some better semi permanent repair suggestions that will keep me running in the rain is welcome.

RLC-811A Front_live_1711300192861~3.jpg
IMG_20240217_122317.jpg

Nightmare!
Dare I ask how it got broken?
My solution is a bit expensive....
Take the car somewhere it can remain inside until the glass arrives. Then use say £1000 of your savings to buy virtually anything that has an mot for a year, swop the insurance and use that.

Given the slow wait time on MG replacement parts, I worry that your wait time could be long unfortunately.
I was told by the local dealer, that replaced warranty parts are not returned.
They are held by the dealer for a while and then thrown away.
There has been a couple of owners who had the whole sky roof cassette replaced.
It’s a shame you can’t get hold of the front glass from one of those cassettes !.
I had a Quick look on e.bay and there is a number of ZS EV’s being broken.
I have a feeling that the front section of the sky roof glass can be removed fairly easily.
What about obtaining one of these glass panels and either fit it yourself, or by your local body shop / garage ?.

Given the slow wait time on MG replacement parts, I worry that your wait time could be long unfortunately.
I was told by the local dealer, that replaced warranty parts are not returned.
They are held by the dealer for a while and then thrown away.
There has been a couple of owners who had the whole sky roof cassette replaced.
It’s a shame you can’t get hold of the front glass from one of those cassettes !.
I had a Quick look on e.bay and there is a number of ZS EV’s being broken.
I have a feeling that the front section of the sky roof glass can be removed fairly easily.
What about obtaining one of these glass panels and either fit it yourself, or by your local body shop / garage ?.
It's a possibility though I'm no way mechanically minded for vehicles.
My gut is telling me though that this is going to be a drawn out situation.

It's a possibility though I'm no way mechanically minded for vehicles.
My gut is telling me though that this is going to be a drawn out situation.
I fear your gut reaction maybe spot on.
Maybe send a message to one of the sellers on e.bay ?.
Just ask them to give you a ball park price for the replacement panel.
Then explain your situation and ask them if it is easy item to remove and replace ?.
If the item is affordable and a easy install, you could be back in your car in a much quicker turn around.

Have you tried contacting MG or a local dealer for availability of the replacement parts. If you can get a part within a reasonable timescale then speak to the insurance company and see if they will pay the dealer to get and fit the replacement.

Have you tried contacting MG or a local dealer for availability of the replacement parts. If you can get a part within a reasonable timescale then speak to the insurance company and see if they will pay the dealer to get and fit the replacement.
So far I haven't approached a dealer or the lease company. I was feeling reluctant to make them aware the car was damaged. But that's maybe our naivety of never having a lease before.

So far I haven't approached a dealer or the lease company. I was feeling reluctant to make them aware the car was damaged. But that's maybe our naivety of never having a lease before.
I would contact MG - ideally your local dealer and explain the issue that AutoGlass are taking a huge amount of time to source a replacement and can they get a definite delivery date from MG Parts?
The lease company are probably not bothered but I wouldn't get them involved as nothing to gain.
That said I have no idea what the lead time from MG might be and how reliable they would be on delivery dates. Just sounds like it's stressing you out so try every avenue to get it sorted asap.

So the neighbour pays for it then. Don't they?
Yes, they are inclined to assume they're paying for the insurance excess. I've given them an interim bill for the expenses I incurred during that first week of it happening.
They've agreed to it, but so far aren't forthcoming as yet.

It's like a double misery for us.

I would contact MG - ideally your local dealer and explain the issue that AutoGlass are taking a huge amount of time to source a replacement and can they get a definite delivery date from MG Parts?
The lease company are probably not bothered but I wouldn't get them involved as nothing to gain.
That said I have no idea what the lead time from MG might be and how reliable they would be on delivery dates. Just sounds like it's stressing you out so try every avenue to get it sorted asap.
I'll look into this on my next off cycle.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom