Washer fluid

RedandboX

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hi does the 5 LR let you know when it is out of washer fluid, I’ve not ran out as yet (from new) so was just wondering as my previous Scout did but the wife’s 3008 doesn’t ?

It lets you know by failing to squirt water when you pull the stalk! I was also surprised to discover the lack of a low level warning as this is pretty basic stuff.
Quite common these days, my previous-previous car - a VW Golf - had no warning, my previous car - a Skoda Octavia - did, go figure.

My other car (Ford Focus) has a warning for low level washer fluid.

My 2010 Prius had a dipstick in the washer bottle.
When I bought my 2016 Prius, I noticed there was no dipstick in the bottle so I asked the dealer if it was missing (PDI), he checked another one one in the showroom and confirmed that the 2016 didn't have one. :confused:
I normally check the fluid levels quite often and it was around two years before I realised that the 2016 actually had a sensor and flashed up a low fluid warning on the dash when I let it run low once. :D

On vehicles with rear wash/wipe the rear usually stops working first and in theory acts as a warning. However, if you don't use the rear as often as the front then .....

Hi does the 5 LR let you know when it is out of washer fluid, I’ve not ran out as yet (from new) so was just wondering as my previous Scout did but the wife’s 3008 doesn’t ?
no (I've confirmed this now multiple times by using them and they're empty), it's a crappy cost saving (imho)

no (I've confirmed this now multiple times by using them and they're empty), it's a crappy cost saving (imho)
Isn't the cost saving, hence the lower price one of the reasons you bought the car ?

Your definition of "cost-saving" may be different - paying the current price for the size of car puts them into the higher spec end of the market - a basic Astra estate is £18k before any discount (but doesn't have a washer fluid level either). The users circumstances and electricity costs make any "fuel" saving hard to quantify - someone having to pay for their own electricity from Rapids rather than charging at cheap rates at home is paying a similar cost to fossil fuels.

There are numerous features added (at a cost) for marketing rather than engineering reasons.
I'd ditch one of those (TPMS for example) in order to have something genuinely useful like a washer fluid level sensor.

Isn't the cost saving, hence the lower price one of the reasons you bought the car ?
I bought it as a cheap, long range estate car and didn't expect them to cut so many corners.

examples -
washer level (cheap and on most cars these days)
heated seats (on or off!, I've never found one that hasn't got a low/med/high option)
auto full beam (it's bloody dangerous if turned on and ends up twitchy and flashy)
onboard navigation (why do I have to accept the bloody t&c's every time?)(not to mention it's sluggish and slow)
Wasted storage under the bonnet (why not design a storage compartment that could easily accommodate the charge cable & granny charger)

I bought it as a cheap, long range estate car and didn't expect them to cut so many corners.

examples -
heated seats (on or off!, I've never found one that hasn't got a low/med/high option)
auto full beam (it's bloody dangerous if turned on and ends up twitchy and flashy)
onboard navigation (why do I have to accept the bloody t&c's every time?)(not to mention it's sluggish and slow)
Wasted storage under the bonnet (why not design a storage compartment that could easily accommodate the charge cable & granny charger)
If it's comparatively cheap, they have to save the pennies somewhere I suppose, if they put in everything, everyone wanted, the price would inevitably creep up.

The acceptance of the terms & conditions every time, before using the Sat Nav is certainly not unique to MG, I have had that in other cars. I suspect it is in all manufacturers.

Regarding the storage of cables, you might want to have a look at this thread. The cables can be stored under the bonnet.

If you want a bit more space under the bonnet, have a look at this thread.

If you want more professional storage under the bonnet, apparently "EV Accessories Ireland" has a frunk in the works, so you could check with them.

and didn't expect them to cut so many corners.

examples -

Coming from a Nissan LEAF Tekna like me you'd find it exactly the same with the exception of the LEAF not having heated seats (only available on the top model) and "auto full beam" (which I have never found satisfactory in any car including current Porsche) at all.

Some bmws don't include android auto/apple car play as standard like the mg does.
I'll opt for checking my washer fluid anyday.

Its weird how different models by the same manufacture, some have a low washer bottle warnings and some don’t ????.
Strange how some folks continue to pull on the column switch, expecting water 💦 to come out of the jets, when they KNOW the bottle is already empty !!!!.
This is never going to end well.
The rubber impeller of the washer motor is kept cool by the fluid in the bottle.
Pulling back on the switch with no water in the bottle, will cause the impeller to overheat and fail.
A new washer pump motor and then the water it required before the impeller failed, is the only out come to get the washers working again.
Expensive bottle of tap water that !.

examples -
I can live without a washer bottle level warning, it's not that difficult to top up without having to be warned. I've never had one on any car before and therefore don't miss it.
Heated seats, I don't need them on for long anyway.
Auto full beam has worked absolutely fine for me and not dangerous in any way. Perhaps you need to get yours checked out.
I don't use the built in Satnav on any car, I like live updates. AA or Car play or straight old phone in a cradle far better IMO.
As already mentioned plenty of solutions for frunk storage.

You can pick at and find niggles and things you would like different about any car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom