Water in the boot - where spare wheel normally is - MG5LR

zatras9911

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I got my 5 LR last year (end of September), and a few months back, I noticed water in the boot. It looks like water was getting in from day one, but because it was not too much, I did not see it until a couple of months back when this got bad. Since then, the car has been in MG garage x2 for a combined time of 4 weeks. Every time they said that they found the problem, and fixed it (however, each time water penetration was reduced but not eliminated). The car came back from the 2nd garage session last Monday, and on Wednesday rained, and guess what, water is back in the boot. I will be calling them again, but this is not funny anymore. I know it’s difficult to fix water leaks, but still, it’s very annoying. Could anybody advise what can be done? What I mean is, can I reject the car? Can I ask for a replacement if the fault can not be fixed? What are my legal rights?

Thanks all for your replies in advance.

Your chances of rejecting a car after nine months are limited given that you didn't report the problem until relatively recently. I suggest that you read the Consumer Association advice:

Problem with a used car

You haven't mentioned the model or whether the water ingress happens when static or only when driving. Common issues in all makes are poorly sealed roof rails (Exclusive only obviously), issues around the rear light clusters and the rear vents (hidden under the rear bumper cover - these sometimes stick "open" and allow water to splash in from puddles. Good luck.

They said, that rear lights, boot opening, top of rails were resealed, and something in the back floor as well. They water tested it for a week and was supposed to be ok. 1st rain and water is back.

I'd suggest that it is likely that the cabin vents below the rear bumper lip are stuck.
Fords are famous for this !.
On them it’s not the flaps staying open, the actual frame of the vent ( plastic ) warps and allows water to enter the boot, mainly the spare wheel well.
My friend’s Focus had a similar water leak via the vents behind the bumper, the wheel well had almost an inch of water in it !!!.
Here is a couple of photos showing the amount of water in his boot !!!.

E92745DB-95A6-4F6D-83BB-E552222D706F.jpeg

2E9648E1-EB08-4F60-A6AF-65E075F09896.jpeg

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom