wavering due to lack of information

vini

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I've been waiting 4 and a half months now and latest info from cars 2 Barnsley MG is that they don't know when they will get a delivery or if any delivery that comes will have my spec - trophy in red grey or white

so I'm now looking to find a car that's actually in this country that I can buy, and have located a Hyundai Kona ultimate, or a Megane e tech. both are closer to 40k but after waiting so long I am just about prepared to pay that

what are peoples opinions on what I should do? keep on waiting or spend more money? my friend has a Kona and is very happy with it, I don't know very much about Renault and the Megane

mg4 has everything I want, but after 4 and a half months and no sign of when it might come I'm frustrated and

Last edited:
I can recommend Hyundai, had 2 Ioniq's . I didn't want a Kona because of it's looks , not a fan of SUV's and Kona not a good looking SUV. But Hyundai's have a very good reputation for build quality and reliability and I can certainly vouch for the customer service I have received.

I cancelled my order and bought a Megane instead. I had lost confidence in both the MG4 and the wildly varying responses from dealers. The Megane is more expensive, but is also definitely a step up in quality.

So far, I’m happy I made the right choice (for me, anyway).

I bought a VW ID4 a month ago after having had an ID4 for 6 months previously on a motability scheme.

It is a lovely car,spacious, reliable, very comfortable and extremely well put together. I looked at the MG4 myself but whilst the MG has a bit more pep in all other aspects the VW beats it hands down.

There are a few about now with some discounts so the basic 52kw battery version should be around £36-38k I paid £38k for mine but that was with an extra charge due to the paint colour I selected. Whilst the basic version does not come with ALL the goodies it has more than enough features and has sat nav/heated seats and steering wheel/alloys and premium feel to the cabin.

The 52kw battery will give 200+mile range in spring/summer and 150 in winter. But as I charge from home and don't do very long journeys I have not had to use public chargers yet in 8 months of owning an EV.

I don't regret getting mine at all having looked at Other cars like Ionic 5 Kia Nero and none of those being available on a virtually immediate delivery. I had to wait 2 weeks for my car.

Last edited:
Cancelled my MG4 order and got a Megane, zero regrets

I've been waiting 4 and a half months now and latest info from cars 2 Barnsley MG is that they don't know when they will get a delivery or if any delivery that comes will have my spec - trophy in red grey or white

so I'm now looking to find a car that's actually in this country that I can buy, and have located a Hyundai Kona ultimate, or a Megane e tech. both are closer to 40k but after waiting so long I am just about prepared to pay that

what are peoples opinions on what I should do? keep on waiting or spend more money? my friend has a Kona and is very happy with it, I don't know very much about Renault and the Megane

mg4 has everything I want, but after 4 and a half months and no sign of when it might come I'm frustrated and
Have you tried other dealers locally like Eric Stead at Sheffield or Luscombe MG at Leeds, to see what they have coming in.

Car2 barnsley... I have the same problem with them. No communication. It seems like stock is comming in but they are selling it on autotrader (easier to sell a car you have) vs fulfilling orders. Go look they are advertising mg4 as in stock and 'beat the que'

I'm in a similar situation. Ordered the car end of September, had a message from the dealer that it's in the country and expecting delivery late December but stuck at the docks. Yesterday's update and MG still can't give them a delivery date. I'm going to give them until the end of the month then start looking elsewhere.

To be expected to wait indefinitely without any updates is ridiculous. I would certainly take my custom elsewhere.
The MG4 gets great reviews, but there are other cars and other dealers out there.
Treating customers in this way because of demand when your order books are full shows the character of these dealers.

I ordered my MG4 SE SR from Cars 2 Barnsley and again very difficult to get any answers. The latest was that the MG Rep may have some information as from 4.1.23 but still heard nothing but they did tell me they only are told when the cars arrive at the docks in the UK and they usually arrive at the dealership within about a week. They have ’hinted’ that my car may arrive at the end of Jan. I contemplated buying another MG4 with 2250 miles on the clock advertised at an MG dealership at Lincoln, they basically offered me the car on a finance deal which matched the car I’d ordered but even the salesman there advised me to hang on and wait for my car as it would be a 2023 registered model - I was surprised by his honesty but I’m sticking it out. I’m running an MG ZS EV and the dealership has promised me the PX and finance deal agreed in Sept 22 would be honoured

I cancelled my order and bought a Megane instead. I had lost confidence in both the MG4 and the wildly varying responses from dealers. The Megane is more expensive, but is also definitely a step up in quality.

So far, I’m happy I made the right choice (for me, anyway).
I've just done the very same : - loved the megane interior and exterior, and drives really well - more expensive but feel so much happier about the deal now

I ordered my MG4 SE SR from Cars 2 Barnsley and again very difficult to get any answers. The latest was that the MG Rep may have some information as from 4.1.23 but still heard nothing but they did tell me they only are told when the cars arrive at the docks in the UK and they usually arrive at the dealership within about a week. They have ’hinted’ that my car may arrive at the end of Jan. I contemplated buying another MG4 with 2250 miles on the clock advertised at an MG dealership at Lincoln, they basically offered me the car on a finance deal which matched the car I’d ordered but even the salesman there advised me to hang on and wait for my car as it would be a 2023 registered model - I was surprised by his honesty but I’m sticking it out. I’m running an MG ZS EV and the dealership has promised me the PX and finance deal agreed in Sept 22 would be honoured
I called in today as the MG dealership sits either side of Hyundai and Renault - had a chat with MG dealer and got a similar response to you - except he couldn't be confident I would see one before march - went to Hyundai and saw a Kona ultimate but the only one available was at the docks, and not quite the colour I fancied. went the other side to Renault and saw a beautiful launch edition in the showroom, then drove a techno to test it out. managed to do a good deal with them on the launch edition, and very very happy...

Car2 barnsley... I have the same problem with them. No communication. It seems like stock is comming in but they are selling it on autotrader (easier to sell a car you have) vs fulfilling orders. Go look they are advertising mg4 as in stock and 'beat the que'
The issue which has been confirmed by numerous dealers is MG weren't building factory orders they basically built a load of random cars to send out and if you dealer gets one that matches your order you get it, else it goes in their stock to sell, and they apparently get told their allocation when its loaded on the boat by MG UK.

Yes but what they were selling on autotrader was the same colour and spec of car I ordered. So either they were not being truthful on their listing about beating the que and it being in stock, or they were selling cars they have in stock to boost their numbers and keeping everyone who ordered months ago still waiting.

Yes but what they were selling on autotrader was the same colour and spec of car I ordered. So either they were not being truthful on their listing about beating the que and it being in stock, or they were selling cars they have in stock to boost their numbers and keeping everyone who ordered months ago still waiting.
Did you ring them to see what was happening?

I understand your feelings exactly. Its gone through my head quite a few times. Only thing that kept my order in is the lack of similar priced rivals that arent SUVs or SUV shaped, no interest thanks.

The price rise is also in the back of my mind so cant easily go back if I do cancel

Definitely worth phoning round a few dealers. Our dealer in Norwich had no idea when our orange trophy would arrive but a mate had his car serviced at Crayford and Abbs about 50 miles away who happened to mention that they had an orange one in stock and ready to go. Made the call and a week later was on our drive! There are dealers posting on Facebook fairly regularly with stock update so I think there are still some 4's to be had.
I would say it's worth persisting, 1500 miles later and we still love our 4 :)

I’ve also been waiting over 4 months and watched as other people order the same car weeks or months after me and have already taken delivery. This has cost me as the PCP rates have increased and the trade-in price of my existing car has decreased.

My dealer has provided zero information. I contacted MG and they can‘t provide me with a build date.

This is my first experience of MG and I’m not sure they could organise a ****-up in a brewery. Their management of the order book is a joke.

If they treat customers this badly before they have taken delivery, what will they be like when I’ve got a car and it has a problem?

I’m going to contact my dealer next week to cancel my order. What a total farce.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back