Well this sucks (XPower crash tested) 🙄

:poop: happens.
Glad no-one was hurt and fingers crossed your insurance plays nicely.

Could have been a lot worse like the young lady in a Micra who was blinded by the sun and pulled out of a side street in front of my bus. The engine block was no longer attached to the car and before you ask no one was hurt.

Glad no one was hurt.

On the upside...

1706180663556.png

The important thing is you're ok. It sucks, but it can be repaired/replaced, you can't.
Indeed.

I remember a girlfriend coming home extremely upset. I gave her a cwtch and asked her what was wrong.

She burst into tears. By now I was really worried.

"Has somebody died?"

"No," she sobbed, "I've crashed your car..."

"Are you OK?"

She nodded. "I think so."

"Well, that's all that matters. The car can be fixed or replaced: you can't. Don't worry about the car."

She then went on to tell me how she once took her ex's car to the supermarket and it got scratched while she was shopping and he went ballistic. He never let her drive his car again. What a ****.

Latest update is that they ARE gonna try repairing it. Will likely add lead time but will see how it goes.
Being picked up from the yard it got recovered to for a proper look of course. Least the airbags didn’t deploy and no glass broke so the cabin is pretty OK.

Latest update is that they ARE gonna try repairing it. Will likely add lead time but will see how it goes.
Being picked up from the yard it got recovered to for a proper look of course. Least the airbags didn’t deploy and no glass broke so the cabin is pretty OK.

Bugger.
Would have been nice to start afresh.

I only say that as I had a brand new Volvo V70 back in the day (1998) I managed to do 2000 miles in it before.......

Long story short, car pulled out from a side road, and to avoid going straight into the side of it, killing the driver no doubt (60mph A road) I swerved, caught the front of it and ended up in ditch.

The insurance assessed it as repairable!!!
When I eventually got it back, (months later) it just wasn't right.
Traded it back in for another new one at a huge loss to me.

I really hope you don't get messed about too much M8!

Last edited:
Indeed.

I remember a girlfriend coming home extremely upset. I gave her a cwtch and asked her what was wrong.

She burst into tears. By now I was really worried.

"Has somebody died?"

"No," she sobbed, "I've crashed your car..."

"Are you OK?"

She nodded. "I think so."

"Well, that's all that matters. The car can be fixed or replaced: you can't. Don't worry about the car."

She then went on to tell me how she once took her ex's car to the supermarket and it got scratched while she was shopping and he went ballistic. He never let her drive his car again. What a ****.

That's what's important.

I remember my business partner coming back into the lab after having gone home for lunch, somewhat shaken. As he drove past the entrance to the church car park in the village, where a mother and toddler group had been meeting, one of the mothers, complete with toddler, pulled out in front of his Vauxhall Senator. Too late to brake, he stamped on the accelerator in the hope of clearing the space before she got there, but she hit his car on the nearside rear.

She was apparently completely hysterical. George got hold of her and calmed her down, saying look, you're not hurt and your child isn't hurt and come to that I'm not even hurt, and it's just a couple of cars. It's just metal and rubber and stuff. It can all be repaired.

He was right. People are in a state in these situations because they're thinking about money. Insurance excess, increased premiums, having to manage without the car if it's off the road being repaired and so on. But none of that matters as much as the people being safe.

When I eventually got it back, (months later) it just wasn't right.
Traded it back in for another new one at a huge loss to me.
I had a prang on a roundabout. The date was 1/5/2002. The car that pulled out on me (to be more precise, it didn't even attempt to slow down) was a Mondeo estate ambulance.

It ended up on the grass in the middle of the roundabout, having thumped up the kerb. The driver got out, writhing around clutching his shoulder.

I reported the accident to my insurance company.
"What's the registration?", the girl asked.

"Mike Victor Zero Two...", I began.

"Oh God!" said the insurance girl.

Turned out the geezer with the dislocated shoulder was the chief geezer at a nearby ambulance station and was on his way back there after picking up a brand new vehicle.

Apparently, the car had only done 10 miles and was written off. Damage to the front suspension, a bent rear wheel, damage to the shell.

Anyway, I digress. The whole point of this post was that my car never felt right afterwards. It got repaired and I sold it privately at a loss, having divulged the repaired accident damage.

I guess that would be ok if the inner structure and subframe hasn't moved.
Bumper, light and wing obviously but possibly the bonnet and door salvageable by a skilful metal tickler ?

If there's no airbag pop and the damage is confined to the external cosmetic panels I don't think I would be concerned, just need a good paint match blended into adjacent panels and no one will ever know.

I guess that would be ok if the inner structure and subframe hasn't moved.
Bumper, light and wing obviously but possibly the bonnet and door salvageable by a skilful metal tickler ?

If there's no airbag pop and the damage is confined to the external cosmetic panels I don't think I would be concerned, just need a good paint match blended into adjacent panels and no one will ever know.
The position of the front nearside wheel suggests the damage is a little deeper, the wing has moved back and the wheel is still closer to the rear of the wheel arch than it should be.

.... Least the airbags didn’t deploy and no glass broke so the cabin is pretty OK.

... that may have actually helped a lot in getting it written off .... insurance companies can be quite twitchy about fitting new airbag systems. My daugters Fiesta was written off for fairly minor frontal damage (deer ran out in front of her) due to the all air bags deploying.

The car is now fixed though and someone else bought it and repaired it.

Anyway I hope everything gets sorted speedily and you can look forward to driving again đź‘Ť

Hey, checking back in. I got an update yesterday!
They’ve finished…. Assessing it 🙄 costs sent over to insurance for the verdict on which side the coin lands I guess.
Not moving fast but I haven’t been chasing as I’ve got too much other stuff on my plate but as nice as the Kia Ceed I’ve got is, it feels archaic with dino juice and manual box. LKA button and driver profiles are pretty welcome though.
Can’t wait to get back into (a/my) Turbo Tango though, really miss it!
Been quiet on the forums as it makes me miss it more heh.

Hey, checking back in. I got an update yesterday!
They’ve finished…. Assessing it 🙄 costs sent over to insurance for the verdict on which side the coin lands I guess.
Not moving fast but I haven’t been chasing as I’ve got too much other stuff on my plate but as nice as the Kia Ceed I’ve got is, it feels archaic with dino juice and manual box. LKA button and driver profiles are pretty welcome though.
Can’t wait to get back into (a/my) Turbo Tango though, really miss it!
Been quiet on the forums as it makes me miss it more heh.

Thanks for the update pal.
I hope it goes the way you want it to.
(Wrote off, new car?)

That would at least see you back on the road a lot quicker.

L8Rs.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom