What’s the best charging cable ??

Nevski

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi All.
I’m looking to buy a charging cable to leave in the boot so I can make use of untethered charging points.
Is there a cable with a CCS connection??
Are they Type 2 only??
Any advice on what cable provides the quickest charge would be very helpful please
Many Thanks.

CCS is for rapid charging and all rapid chargers already have the cable. You only need a cable for AC charging which is type 2. To ensure you can get the full 7 kW then ensure it's a 32 amp cable and NOT 16 amp. Only other thing to be aware of is if your car supports 3 phase AC which the UK cars don't so no need to worry about that.

I'd go for the MG Type 2 cable.
It may not be the cheapest but the quality is better than anything I've seen in the aftermarket.

£125 2day postage, incl carry bag.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do the type2 cables recommended work on 11kwh and 22kwh chargers?
That's when you need to know about 3 phase AC as 11 and 22 kW are 3 phase 16 amp and 32 amp respectively. A single phase cable will still work on a 3 phase charger but as you'll only get one of the phases then you'll only get 3.6 or 7 kW (assuming 32 amp cable). Even if the cable was wired for all 3 phases then as mentioned the UK MG ZS doesn't support 3 phases so will still get 3.6 or 7 kW max.

Do the type2 cables recommended work on 11kwh and 22kwh chargers?
Yes but will only take 7kWh on the MG as that's all the car can take..
Quite simply a type 2 cable 32amp is all you really need to know. It will work on any type 2 connection regardless of power. It is a cable, do not overthink this.

Interested to know what the 11 kW european MG ZS's can achieve on a single phase, is it 3.6 or 7 kW?

Ok thanks. So just checking the on the following vehicles...

Mg5 Exclusive LR is only max 7kwh on AC
MG ZS EV LR (2022) is only max 7kwh on AC

And can only therefore handle single phase type 2, so a lead like suggested is all I'll need.

Ok thanks. So just checking the on the following vehicles...

Mg5 Exclusive LR is only max 7kwh on AC
MG ZS EV LR (2022) is only max 7kwh on AC

And can only therefore handle single phase type 2, so a lead like suggested is all I'll need.
Yep for a UK MG EV ensure it's 32 amp then the only cable parameter you need to choose is it's length!

Yes but will only take 7kWh on the MG as that's all the car can take..
Quite simply a type 2 cable 32amp is all you really need to know. It will work on any type 2 connection regardless of power. It is a cable, do not overthink this.
Long term it might be worth paying the extra for a 3 phase 22kw cable if you get a car that supports it in the future.
The ZS does have an option for 11kw charging, but they're not offering it in the UK/Eire.

Long term it might be worth paying the extra for a 3 phase 22kw cable if you get a car that supports it in the future.
The ZS does have an option for 11kw charging, but they're not offering it in the UK/Eire.
Ah that link seems to imply that the 11kW european versions can still get 7kW on a single phase which is nice thanks.
I think most cables will be bought and sold with the car so unless you intend to keep a cable then it's not worth spending extra for a bulkier cable but best to match cable to car.

I think most cables will be bought and sold with the car so unless you intend to keep a cable then it's not worth spending extra for a bulkier cable but best to match cable to car.
Totally agree, 3 phase is heavier and longer is heavier.
A 5m, 32A, Type 2 to type 2 should suffice for most situations.
You could maybe go to 7.5m if you prefer reversing in to a bay (or blocking in ICED bays :sneaky:).

Anyone have any experience with a coiled cable? I like the look of those.. So it's not trailing on the ground as much..

It’s also important to ensure a minimum Ingress Protection Rating. Type 2 cables at home shpuld meet a minimum of IP54.
Preferred would be IP65 with better dust ingress protection and resistance to low pressure water jets.

Anyone have any experience with a coiled cable? I like the look of those.. So it's not trailing on the ground as much..
I had coiled one with my Merc, always ended up tangled when in the boot and if stretched so that it dose not sit on ground, it puts a strain on the plugs and sockets due to weight of cable especially 5m. i prefer standard 32am. At home I have a water hose crescent plastic holder above the charger and loop just as you would a hose pipe.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom