What bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you have a normal filament bulb that is for example 10W atleast 8 of those are just converted to heat.

If you want more light from a LED, you might go with a 5W LED bulb.

This will give a lot more light than the 10W filemant bulb, and will only "waste", maybe 1 watt on heat.

You REALLY have to up the wattage on a LED, before you get anywhere near as hot as the filament bulb you are replacing
& the other issues of heat dissipation when say fitting powerful LED bulbs into spaces designed for halogens (i.e. headlight bulbs) tho I think that's more to do with maximising the life of the LED than protecting the actual lamp cluster..

& the other issues of heat dissipation when say fitting powerful LED bulbs into spaces designed for halogens (i.e. headlight bulbs) tho I think that's more to do with maximising the life of the LED than protecting the actual lamp cluster..
I fully agree, the heat would mainly be a problem for the bulb itself, not the bulb holder and whatnot

ISTR reversing lights used to have 21W bulbs in until recently.
Did the regulations change ?
is there a 21W equivalent bulb of the same dimensions (W21W ?) ?

I, like many other people don't do manuals, I find searchable forums better for information gathering, it also helps spark a discussion as to the best LED bulbs to replace them with :)

I am guessing like most that the mirror indicators are going to be 501 bulbs and the rest will be 382 unless the indicator in the rear is an orange one then it will be a 581 but I wanted to know if someone knew and had maybe done the replacement themselves and what bulbs they recommend
I agree. It’s much easier to let others supply the answers than to read the manual. :)

Be great if you post up your findings once you’ve replaced them all. It’ll save others having to go through the same issues.

LED Exterior replacement bulbs are not E-marked. As a result they are a MoT fail.
Full stop.
End of story.
The only MOT failure you will get with LED "exterior" bulbs is if they are A. the wrong colour (when chavs put blue LEDs in their side lights) or if it's in the headlight and it generates an erratic beam pattern...

There is no stipulation in an MOT test that requires bulbs to be "E-Marked" at all, MOT testers won't take your bulbs out of the housing to inspect them, thats ridiculous to think they would...

I have always ran aftermarket bulbs in positions such as front and rear side lights, number plate lights, indicators and brake lights and I have NEVER experienced a problem at an MOT.

The only MOT failure you will get with LED "exterior" bulbs is if they are A. the wrong colour (when chavs put blue LEDs in their side lights) or if it's in the headlight and it generates an erratic beam pattern...

There is no stipulation in an MOT test that requires bulbs to be "E-Marked" at all, MOT testers won't take your bulbs out of the housing to inspect them, thats ridiculous to think they would...

I have always ran aftermarket bulbs in positions such as front and rear side lights, number plate lights, indicators and brake lights and I have NEVER experienced a problem at an MOT.
(Thread drift alert!! 😂)

Reactions: Alb

I'll lock this to keep the discussion in one thread (link above) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom