What cable should I get?

CMJ22

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I’m trying to get sorted for when my car gets here and wondering is it a good idea to buy a type 2 cable for when I’m needing to charge on the road aswell as tethered charger or is that a waste of money and better to get an u tethered charger and one type 2 cable to use for both?

I’m new to electric cars so any info would be great thank you!

Yeh I need to check I can’t remember what she said but I think it was the granny plug cable.

That’s a fair point about the charger though having to keep getting it out the boot so that makes sense getting a tethered one.

Any chargers I should avoid? I see a lot of podpoint ones around

When I got my ZS EV. 18 months ago it came with a “Granny charger”. I bought a type 2 cable so that I could use untethered chargers such as those at Tesco etc. I also had a tethered Hypervolt charger installed at home.

I understand that the cars that have been delivered so far have been supplied with a type 2 charger as there were no “granny chargers” available. Therefore useless for charging your car at home.

I like to cover all possibilities and the order in which I have used the cables that I have is :

1. Tethered Hypervolt charger - used 2/3 times a week.
2. Granny charger - used when we have been staying in holiday accommodation
3. Type 2 cable - used 3/4 times a month to get free charges at Tesco’s. However as free charging is now ending it will be a while before I use it again.

It's supposed to be the granny lead (according to the user manual) but the first batch were supplied with Type 2 leads. (And I'm expecting mine will come with a Type 2 also).
I am thinking of keeping my existing granny charger if the car comes with a type 2 but I will check with the garage what is being supplied when I pick the car up - whenever that may be!

I am thinking of keeping my existing granny charger if the car comes with a type 2 but I will check with the garage what is being supplied when I pick the car up - whenever that may be!

Dont assume that they'll actually know unless they physically have the car. Ours said that the car had a granny charger with it, so we ordered a type 2 and then they only discovered that there was a type 2 with the car when they were cleaning it to give it to us on the day of delivery.

Dont assume that they'll actually know unless they physically have the car. Ours said that the car had a granny charger with it, so we ordered a type 2 and then they only discovered that there was a type 2 with the car when they were cleaning it to give it to us on the day of delivery.
That’s what I am going to do. Wait until the car is in the showroom then they can tell me what type of cable is being supplied. 😀

I’m trying to get sorted for when my car gets here and wondering is it a good idea to buy a type 2 cable for when I’m needing to charge on the road aswell as tethered charger or is that a waste of money and better to get an u tethered charger and one type 2 cable to use for both?

If you're getting an SE LR or Trophy, there's a chance you may have a 3-phase AC onboard charger that supports 11kV AC charging. To utilise this you would need a 3-phase type 2 cable.
Was handy for the Tesco PodPoint 22/11kW chargers as they were free and gave a solid 10kW; but becoming paid-for on 1st November, and dearer than their 7kW units.

Well CMJ22, On a cold wet and windy night you will be glad you went for the Tethered charger and sorry if you don’t, having to get the cable out of the boot out of its bag unwind it out put the bag back in the boot then plug in at both ends and it might be dark , as well as wet&windy.

And then the next morning the cable is wet or covered in snow, or some snow frozen onto the cable, possible in the north east of England having to remove the cable again from both ends wind it up open the boot place the now very wet and dirty maybe cable in the boot before for you start off on your journey no no no, not for me sorry tethered every time.
Hope this helps you to make your decision.
Les.

I'm going to wait until the car is delivered then if it hasn't got the one I want I'll get one either from Screwfix or Amazon.

Yeh I need to check I can’t remember what she said but I think it was the granny plug cable.

That’s a fair point about the charger though having to keep getting it out the boot so that makes sense getting a tethered one.

Any chargers I should avoid? I see a lot of podpoint ones around
I was told they no longer supply Granny charging leads , only a type 2 for public charging. Based on this I have bought a Granny lead so hope the info is correct.

I was told they no longer supply Granny charging leads , only a type 2 for public charging. Based on this I have bought a Granny lead so hope the info is correct.
I believe it was the first batch that came with type2 cables as MG couldn't source the 'granny' cable to ship with the cars.

When my SE SR was delivered to me three weeks ago in the boot was an MG branded granny charger inside a nice carry bag.

When we pick up the wife’s 4 it came with a type 2-type 2 cable in an Mg logo bag, I didn’t want that I already have 2, so I got them to replace it with a granny lead it was one that had been used else where but was in good order so I was far better off with that so went with it no problem
Les

Well CMJ22, On a cold wet and windy night you will be glad you went for the Tethered charger and sorry if you don’t, having to get the cable out of the boot out of its bag unwind it out put the bag back in the boot then plug in at both ends and it might be dark , as well as wet&windy.

And then the next morning the cable is wet or covered in snow, or some snow frozen onto the cable, possible in the north east of England having to remove the cable again from both ends wind it up open the boot place the now very wet and dirty maybe cable in the boot before for you start off on your journey no no no, not for me sorry tethered every time.
Hope this helps you to make your decision.
Les.
Ha I’ve made my mind up now thanks for that! Tethered charger it is!

Just spoken to my dealer and they confirmed that it will come with a type 2 cable

Ok that’s your type 2 sorted and you tethered home charger fine and if you feel you need a Granny charger for use away from home there are lots of after market ones now Screwfix do one which looks good but you would only need one on holiday maybe or at a work place
Good luck and enjoy your new motor and if you need anymore help in the future this forum is here just for that
Les

At home I have a tethered charge point (Wallbox Pulsar Plus). In the car a Type 2/Type 2 will be most practical (for use at Type 2 charge points when out and about, if a CCS point isn't available), but I'll also get a granny charge lead as this will allow me to charge up when I go visiting family. (Of course I'll offer reimbursement for the charge cost). :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back