What does the symbol 3 on the dash mean?

marley

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Had my car a few days can anyone tell me what the 3 means on the o of the dash board please, it came on about 3 days after I got the car , I don’t know what it means, any help appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my car a few days can anyone tell me what the 3 means on the o of the dash board please, it came on about 3 days after I got the car , I don’t know what it means, any help appreciated
The number 3 refers to the level of Regen the car is currently using.
Level 3 is the default mode, together with driving mode NORMAL.
One of the three switches in front of the gear selector, that is marked KERS is the toggle switch that you use to change the level of Regen you require.
One being the lightest and 3 being the strongest.
The MODE switch next to it, charges the drive mode settings.
again, in three levels.
ECO / NORMAL / SPORT.

Should I change it ? Sorry being so naïve, but I got the car from my local garage as my husband is very I’ll, and I am not sure what to do because they told me never to touch that

Should I change it ? Sorry being so naïve, but I got the car from my local garage as my husband is very I’ll, and I am not sure what to do because they told me never to touch that
It's perfectly ok to leave it as is. Some drivers like to change it to suit their driving style but most keep it on 3. Hope your husband gets better.

Thank you so much, unfortunately my husband will not get better, but I really appreciate your help . After 35 years it hard trying to do things on your own without any input from him . But with help from this forum I shall learn . Thank you once again
Oh sorry for you and him. Yes, this forum is a great place to learn and everyone is very helpful.

You'll find as you drive the car more with the regenerative braking on level 3 you'll get used to the ability to subtly slow down without needing the brake. It makes for very smooth driving.

Welcome to the EV club 👍.
I am very sorry to hear about your situation.
I would advise that you just keep the car charged and then use and enjoy the car for just what it is !.
This is a great forum and wealth of knowledge, somebody will always be prepared to answer any of your questions, no matter how simple or hard you think they maybe to answer.
Generally EV folks are a friendly and helpful bunch of people.
Can I ask, what made to go for an EV ?.
A lot of short journeys and reduced running cost I would hazard a guess ?.

Thank you so much, unfortunately my husband will not get better, but I really appreciate your help . After 35 years it hard trying to do things on your own without any input from him . But with help from this forum I shall learn . Thank you once again

Feel free to ask about anything, anytime. To use a cliché, there's no such question as a silly question, and you'll find everyone on her willing to help :)

Welcome to the EV club 👍.
I am very sorry to hear about your situation.
I would advise that you just keep the car charged and then use and enjoy the car for just what it is !.
This is a great forum and wealth of knowledge, somebody will always be prepared to answer any of your questions, no matter how simple or hard you think they maybe to answer.
Generally EV folks are a friendly and helpful bunch of people.
Can I ask, what made to go for an EV ?.
A lot of short journeys and reduced running cost I would hazard a guess ?.
To be perfectly honest with you, I went to my local garage as I required a new car, I saw the EV exclusive and thought I would try it , had a test drive and purchased it. It was the first EV my local garage had had so it was a new experience for them also. Just had the home charger fitted this with. I must admit I am right now enjoying driving it. It’s a smooth ride and my husband said I can now hear you when you talk , haha not sure if that’s good or bad fthim 😊

This KERs thing is a bit like engine braking in a petrol car. Lift your foot off and let the car coast and the motor acts like a generator and feeds a bit of power back into the battery.

The higher the KERs is set, the more "engine braking" you get.

Just be aware that when the battery is at a high level of charge - something over ~95% in an MG5 - the car decides the battery shouldn't be fed much more juice and reduces the actual "engine braking", so you have to compensate by braking a little earlier/harder. You'll soon get the feel of it.

Is this defo referring to the KERS setting?

I thought all MG cars always start on level 2....

What does the handbook say?
Screenshot_20220219_123522.jpg

Default mode on the ZS EV is Regen level 3 and drive mode Normal.
If you wish anything else, it is done by manual section, via the MODE button or the KERS button.

This KERs thing is a bit like engine braking in a petrol car. Lift your foot off and let the car coast and the motor acts like a generator and feeds a bit of power back into the battery.

The higher the KERs is set, the more "engine braking" you get.

Just be aware that when the battery is at a high level of charge - something over ~95% in an MG5 - the car decides the battery shouldn't be fed much more juice and reduces the actual "engine braking", so you have to compensate by braking a little earlier/harder. You'll soon get the feel of it.
Thank you have worked this out , had to brake harder and slow down earlier

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom