What happens if you accidentally hit the P button when driving ZS EV?

ARvanHAS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know if the P (parking button) function on the selector is blocked when driving?

In other words, what happens if you (or Funny friend, dog, wife, cat, kid) accidentally presses it while driving...?

I can't imagine it would be allowed to function while driving, but the (Dutch) manual says something in contrary with that. Namely that it Could lead to wrecking the car and encountering a heavy accident?

Attachments

• 20200625_190720.jpg
    20200625_190720.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Yes I pressed It whilst driving approx 20mph by mistake . I was attempting to slide the cup holder mechanism without looking and accidentally pressed it. There was a rapid break and the screen told me it wasn’t happy and it probably bonged. The car recovered very quickly so as not to cause a pile up and immediately started driving normally .I won’t be making the same mistake again. Ergonomics could probably be improved if anyone Fancies doing a you tube video

Sorry I’ve just seen The picture.i pressed the park button not the Big circular One
So the little P works while driving, like a manual parking break. Good that the car recovered itself because blocked rearwheels are in no way possible to control for us, not being really drivers and sorts.
So that's another thing to ask... What is the difference between the big round P and the little square P? I mean in function, I see the visual difference?
Why are there two parking breaks?
I know that the little one has to be used to release the break if the car is not standing horizontal but why then the big round one. ?

Last edited:
Hi,
Do we know if the fire brigade are up to date to deal with emergency rescue on MG EV vehicles?

Okay, just read the English manual. That is a lot clearer. The Dutch manual only mentions the "do not try this at home or while driving" warning
The English manual gives more inside because on the next page it shows some conditions in the form of Precautions on when the parking brake works... It seems that it only works below 2 km/h (approximately 1.25 ml/h).
Case closed.

Attachments

• 20200628_163427.jpg
    20200628_163427.jpg
    671.8 KB · Views: 273
Hi,
ARvanHas....sorry I mis-read your earlier post, I didn't realise that English wasn't your first language. Even so, its much better than my Dutch......which is non-existent! Welcome to our forum. :oops: and enjoy your MG.

Hi, nothing will happen if you accidently press the big button whilst driving but there is an emergency function for the parking brake. See below. Oh also there is no Parking Pawl mechanism in the geabox. Park is solely reliant on the electronic parking brake.

Emergency Braking Function
If whilst driving the vehicle there is a footbrake failure, the vehicle can be decelerated by pulling up and holding EPB switch.
Holding the EPB switch in either on or off positions supplies the EPB module with continuous signal (rather than the momentary apply/release
signal)
Pulling the EPB switch button up and holding provides a continuous ‘apply’ signal. The EPB module analyses this data and initiates an emergency
brake process.
If there are no faults with any aspect of the SCS system, the system is able to respond, and the vehicle speed is above 5 km/h, the EPB module
will send a request on CAN for all 4 brakes to be applied. This action is carried out by the SCS/ABS module.
If the vehicle speed is 4 km/h or below, or the SCS is unable to respond, only the rear brakes will be applied.
A continuous acoustic alarm will sound during emergency brake application.
Releasing the EPB switch button or pressing the accelerator pedal will cancel the emergency brake process.
During EPB dynamic deceleration (emergency braking), the system has the ability to prevent the rear wheels from locking during the application
of EPB actuator clamping force.

Last edited:
Hi, nothing will happen if you accidently press the big button whilst driving but there is an emergency function for the parking brake. See below. Oh also there is no Parking Pawl mechanism in the geabox. Park is solely reliant on the electronic parking brake.

Emergency Braking Function
If whilst driving the vehicle there is a footbrake failure, the vehicle can be decelerated by pulling up and holding EPB switch.
Holding the EPB switch in either on or off positions supplies the EPB module with continuous signal (rather than the momentary apply/release
signal)
Pulling the EPB switch button up and holding provides a continuous ‘apply’ signal. The EPB module analyses this data and initiates an emergency
brake process.
If there are no faults with any aspect of the SCS system, the system is able to respond, and the vehicle speed is above 5 km/h, the EPB module
will send a request on CAN for all 4 brakes to be applied. This action is carried out by the SCS/ABS module.
If the vehicle speed is 4 km/h or below, or the SCS is unable to respond, only the rear brakes will be applied.
A continuous acoustic alarm will sound during emergency brake application.
Releasing the EPB switch button or pressing the accelerator pedal will cancel the emergency brake process.
During EPB dynamic deceleration (emergency braking), the system has the ability to prevent the rear wheels from locking during the application
of EPB actuator clamping force.
Wow that is very usefull and important information. Thank you very much.

Hi,
Do we know if the fire brigade are up to date to deal with emergency rescue on MG EV vehicles?
Mike,

I wouldn't worry about the car if I had to get the Fire Brigade involved, just worry about yourself and occupants. Having worked closely with the Fire Brigade during the strike of the 70s I know they are well trained on hazardous materials (of which an EVs Battery) so again don't worry about it. What you should be more concerned about is how the recovery service RAC, AA, Green Shield and worse the private car recovery guys deals with taking your car to the nearest charge point if you run out of juice. I suggest you read the manual carefully in the chapter that deals with movement and recovery of your car, for example you CAN'T tow the car or you will damage the electric motor.

Regards

Frank

Mike,

I wouldn't worry about the car if I had to get the Fire Brigade involved, just worry about yourself and occupants. Having worked closely with the Fire Brigade during the strike of the 70s I know they are well trained on hazardous materials (of which an EVs Battery) so again don't worry about it. What you should be more concerned about is how the recovery service RAC, AA, Green Shield and worse the private car recovery guys deals with taking your car to the nearest charge point if you run out of juice. I suggest you read the manual carefully in the chapter that deals with movement and recovery of your car, for example you CAN'T tow the car or you will damage the electric motor.

Regards

Frank
I have just read an article in Auto Express magazine. Where Peter Sealey watch manager from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service. It show they are well on the case dealing with electric vehicles fires. As one of the worst of fire cases in cars, was DIY kits with LPG which lack safety systems and information sheets.
The tip on not having your car tow away was a good to remember.

I have just read an article in Auto Express magazine. Where Peter Sealey watch manager from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service. It show they are well on the case dealing with electric vehicles fires. As one of the worst of fire cases in cars, was DIY kits with LPG which lack safety systems and information sheets.
The tip on not having your car tow away was a good to remember.
It can be moved obviously, but only two methods can be used and one NOT to use under ANY circumstances which is towing with ALL four wheels on the ground.

Regards

Frank

PS I suppose I should mention the two ways you can move it, they are:-

a. It is pushed/pulled/winched onto a flat bed vehicle, and point to note is that the vehicles speed during this manoeuvre is NOT to exceed 3MPH going on or off the flat bed.
b. It can be towed with the front wheels off the ground but you must ensure that (it tells you how in the manual) the parking brake is not on.

It can be moved obviously, but only two methods can be used and one NOT to use under ANY circumstances which is towing with ALL four wheels on the ground.

Regards

Frank

PS I suppose I should mention the two ways you can move it, they are:-

a. It is pushed/pulled/winched onto a flat bed vehicle, and point to note is that the vehicles speed during this manoeuvre is NOT to exceed 3MPH going on or off the flat bed.
b. It can be towed with the front wheels off the ground but you must ensure that (it tells you how in the manual) the parking brake is not on.

What is the relevance between the car being on fire and towing safely?

All in all batteries are nowhere near as flamable as fosill fuel cars and their general interior, but when batteries burn they really burn which is nearly impossible to put out.

I would suggest to save yourself and others in the car (in that order) and leave the car for what it is at that moment: a late car, a lost piece of property and a hazard.

Regarding towing, should't you also disengage the anti-collision systems (if possible)?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom