What is the best phone network for charging apps?

ging353

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I was recently on the East Coast and tried to charge my car on a Rapid Charger at a Lidl store. The charger was a Pod Point charger but had to be started using a Phone App. As I had the Podpoint App on my phone I thought I would be ok until I tried to start the App and it came up on my phone as " No network connection". I am on the 1D network and until now have not had a problem around where I live. But the 1D network doesn't seem strong enough for certain places. What network would you recommend as being the most reliable for EV Charging?

I'm with ASDA mobile PAYG, which used to be run by EE, now run by Vodaphone and I've had no problem connecting to BP Pulse app at Mablethorpe.
You didn't happen to run out of data on your phone plan did you ?

I'm with ASDA mobile PAYG, which used to be run by EE, now run by Vodaphone and I've had no problem connecting to BP Pulse app at Mablethorpe.
You didn't happen to run out of data on your phone plan did you ?
No .....the problem was purely connection problems.

I use Lebara which utilises the Vodafone network. No problems running charger apps inc Podpoint. Also, very competitive on price.

No .....the problem was purely connection problems.
Did you have a poor phone signal as well ?
The reason I ask is that I had the same "no network connection" message once when I had no data left, but an excellent signal.

The best way would be a multi network simcard like the car has it can use any of the 4 networks the UK has

I was recently on the East Coast and tried to charge my car on a Rapid Charger at a Lidl store. The charger was a Pod Point charger but had to be started using a Phone App. As I had the Podpoint App on my phone I thought I would be ok until I tried to start the App and it came up on my phone as " No network connection". I am on the 1D network and until now have not had a problem around where I live. But the 1D network doesn't seem strong enough for certain places. What network would you recommend as being the most reliable for EV Charging?
I guess the best network would be whichever works at that location, silly, unhelpful but obvious answer as we all know different networks have their own weak spots.
Maybe look for somewhere hopefully close by to walk to and use free Wi-Fi.

Just go into the store and use their WiFi

One would have been forgiven for expecting a WiFi hub at each group of chargepoints

Or simply, all chargepoints to have enable and pay by bank card - just like petrol pumps have had for donkeys years.

I'm ranting. Does it show?

It's cheap enough for them to fit to cars smart meters and charges but of course you will pay a bit more for the benefit

I don't think there's any SIM card or specific network involved. It's an Emergency Call. I believe you can make an emergency call on a phone, even without it being on your preferred/home network or even actually having a SIM installed in the first place.

So you're saying the car only makes Emergency Calls ?

The car itself. Yes.
I refer the Honourable Member to the MG5 SR instruction book, pages 185 and 186.

The connection to your own phone, on the other hand, is via Bluetooth and uses your own phones system connection with all its costs, limitations and restrictions.

The car itself. Yes.
I refer the Honourable Member to the MG5 SR instruction book, pages 185 and 186.

The connection to your own phone, on the other hand, is via Bluetooth and uses your own phones system connection with all its costs, limitations and restrictions.
Oh other models/versions do rather more iirc

Where from?
Somewhere like this?
Screenshot_20221001_160842.jpg
Screenshot_20221001_161034.jpg
Screenshot_20221001_161716.jpg

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back