What is the true range of zsev

John Griffiths

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello
I’ve had my MG ZS EV for about 7 weeks and am very pleased with it. Since I don’t do a large mileage the range doesn’t bother me but I’m surprised at the low range displayed after charging. The range displayed has varied between 138 and 141 miles and during the last two charging sessions I checked the range after the badge light was on but the charger light was still on . The range was 158 and 161 miles but by the morning this had dropped to 138 and 141 miles. Is this due to temperature or balance charging. This must be a concern for higher mileage drivers..
Most grateful for any replies.
John Griffiths

Hi John,
There are many things that will affect your range, remember the GOM is only and estimate based on your previous driving conditions.
The highs and the lows.
The lows in winter for me was about 120 miles per charge on mixed motorway use, heating on with an average speed of 65 mph.
The highs in the summer for me using the same driving example, no heating on obviously, has been nearer 178 or more.
And there you have it driving style and temperatures do has massive impacts on your range.
That said in the town or driving in, around and out of London I can get about 200 miles or just over in the summer.
If you reset your trip readings on both, have the car fully charged, with fans and heating of in ECO mode your car should display about 163 miles on the GOM.

The best I got was 149 miles and that was about a month ago so not very warm, no HVAC and very light use of the throttle. Got home with 10% battery left but only 8 miles of range showing.
My car always shows 179 miles of range on the GOM after a full charge and zeroing the "accumulated total"
Today I drove to Leeds and managed 140 miles of almost exclusively motorway driving with the AC on but slipstreaming lorries and doing about 55MPH. Arrived with 34 miles of range still showing.

The best I got was 149 miles and that was about a month ago so not very warm, no HVAC and very light use of the throttle. Got home with 10% battery left but only 8 miles of range showing.
My car always shows 179 miles of range on the GOM after a full charge and zeroing the "accumulated total"
Today I drove to Leeds and managed 140 miles of almost exclusively motorway driving with the AC on but slipstreaming lorries and doing about 55MPH. Arrived with 34 miles of range still showing.
So 174 range with AC on is good then....isn’t it?

That’s pretty good. I don’t see that on longer journeys. I do tend to go a little faster though which kills range badly. Sticking to 60mph and below and keeping power % below 20% when you can gives brilliant mpk - especially for the body type of the ZS.

Thanks for the replies-most helpful. The latest charge showed 157 last night withe badge light still on but down to 144 this morning. It’s plenty for me but I was puzzled by the drop overnight as I assume nothing is on.
When the light in the MG badge is still pulsing, it is still charging.
When the badge is a constant glow the car is carrying out a balance to the pack.
When you boot up the car the following morning, make sure you have your HVAC turned off or it will impact on your reported range straight away.

So 174 range with AC on is good then....isn’t it?
I wouldn't push it past 150 miles to be honest as that's the very outer limit of its range and I don't trust the GOM.
Turning the HVAC on takes the range prediction from 179 to about 160. If you keep it off and turn it on when you're down to a very low predicted range it only drops the range by 1-2 miles.
That’s pretty good. I don’t see that on longer journeys. I do tend to go a little faster though which kills range badly. Sticking to 60mph and below and keeping power % below 20% when you can gives brilliant mpk - especially for the body type of the ZS.

As you said you have to keep your speed low to achieve decent MPK (I arrived with 4.1MPK showing) I found on that journey slipstreaming lorries at about 50-55MPH added about 15 minutes to my 2hr20min drive, which is less time than having to visit a rapid charger on route.
Also with the MG Pilot on it makes the journey so much more relaxing. I have a diesel 4x4 and wouldn't wanna do the journey in that.

I have a free 7kw charger in my village which I use (5000 miles free so far 😂) and in Leeds there are free 50kw chargers dotted about so the journey cost me nothing at all.
In my diesel Koleos it would have cost me £30-£40!

Thanks for the replies-most helpful. The latest charge showed 157 last night withe badge light still on but down to 144 this morning. It’s plenty for me but I was puzzled by the drop overnight as I assume nothing is on.
I’m just wondering what BMS version you have, are your batteries at full voltage capacity, when your car is fully charged and with everything turned off other than the car in ready mode, what volts are showing in your electrical data screen in the middle dashboard panel?

I have a free 7kw charger in my village which I use (5000 miles free so far 😂) and in Leeds there are free 50kw chargers dotted about so the journey cost me nothing at all.
In my diesel Koleos it would have cost me £30-£40!
Free fuel and free car! My idea of Heaven!

Just turned the HVAC off and miles is 161, voltage is 456V, most grateful for all the info as I like to know how things work.
456 volts reported by the HV pack after a full charge & balance ( with all electrical items switched off on boot up ) suggests you are running on the original OEM factory BMS software.

Drove to Cheltenham from Scotland last week and managed 4 miles/kWh, that’s equivalent of 180 miles if I had kept going until battery was dead. That was with sensible driving on the motorway and very limited use of air con and blowers.

is that good or bad ?
If you are running on the original BMS software and your car has NOT received any of the BMS updates that introduced problems with regards to range / long balancing times etc.
Then you have nothing to worry about.
The introduction of the "Buggy" software has been covered extensively on this forum and a quick search will proved hours of reading pleasure !.
If you are reporting around 456 Volts ( OEM original software ) or the new lower figure of between 448 - 450 Volts ( Latest BMS update 15th Jan 2021 ) after a full charge, then this goes a long way to say you are not affected by the "Buggy" software.
This should be checked AFTER a full charge, then boot up the car without pressing the footbrake.
Ensure that all electrical items are switched off, especially the HVAC system !.
If you are witnessing figures around the 430 ish Volts mark, you MAY be affected by the software issue.

If you are running on the original BMS software and your car has NOT received any of the BMS updates that introduced problems with regards to range / long balancing times etc.
The introduction of the "Buggy" software has been covered extensively on this forum and a quick search will proved hours of reading pleasure !.
If you are reporting around 456 Volts ( OEM original software ) or the new lower figure of between 448 - 450 Volts ( Latest BMS update 15th Jan 2021 ) after a full charge, then this goes a long way to say you are not affected by the "Buggy" software.
This should be checked AFTER a full charge, then boot up the car without pressing the footbrake.
Ensure that all electrical items are switched off, especially the HVAC system !.
If you are witnessing figures around the 430 ish Volts mark, you MAY be affected by the software issue.
thanks so much for the info.. only had my ev for 2 weeks and only charged it to 80% and got 425 so next time i will take it to 100% charge and see

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom