Votes: 45 67.2%
  • iOS

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None, pre-smart phone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As an iOS user, I was playing with Google maps etc as my satnav app.
But I recently started using Apple Maps exclusively and ditched both TomTomGo (paid), Waze and even Google maps.
Especially in central London where I live, Google maps lack of street detail was confusing me at several junctions. Yes one could enable the hybrid satellite view but it was even more confusing for me
Apple Maps now even draws the junction complete with yellow boxes and pedestrian crossings!
Gives me charging parks nearby and it’s way better integrated into the wide infotainment screen.
They really stepped up their game.

As an iOS user, I was playing with Google maps etc as my satnav app.
But I recently started using Apple Maps exclusively and ditched both TomTomGo (paid), Waze and even Google maps.
Especially in central London where I live, Google maps lack of street detail was confusing me at several junctions. Yes one could enable the hybrid satellite view but it was even more confusing for me
Apple Maps now even draws the junction complete with yellow boxes and pedestrian crossings!
Gives me charging parks nearby and it’s way better integrated into the wide infotainment screen.
They really stepped up their game.
Whatever one O/S has, it's quickly copied on another. They play off one another constantly (IOS and Android)

None.

And no, I'm not a technophobe. If the phone is within easy reach then its too tempting to hold it which could lead to a £200 fine and 6 penalty points.

There are no wrong answers, hopefully no criticism of peoples choices here I was just wondering. I suspect the demographic of the forum is higher in the age range too so that can lead to interesting results and suggestions/reasoning.

I have tended to use Google Maps for a long time but both it and Apple Maps are pretty poor at rural directions - they tend to want to take me down tiny Devon lanes in an attempt to shave a few seconds off the journey.

Does anyone know a mapping solution that does a better job of this? I'd love to be able to say 'Prefer main roads' or 'Avoid small lanes' or similar.

I have tended to use Google Maps for a long time but both it and Apple Maps are pretty poor at rural directions - they tend to want to take me down tiny Devon lanes in an attempt to shave a few seconds off the journey.

Does anyone know a mapping solution that does a better job of this? I'd love to be able to say 'Prefer main roads' or 'Avoid small lanes' or similar.
Have never tried it but can you change route options to "fastest" to avoid slower roads🤔

No you can't, these are the only route options.
IMG_9379.jpeg

Depends what you mean by fastest. Waze will default to the quickest route, even if it means taking a hundred back streets over speed bumps to save 1 minute over sitting in traffic, but you can always choose the route that takes longer but on ‘faster’ roads.

In my experience Google Maps tends to want to take main roads. Where I live is pretty rural with lots of single track roads and google avoids them like the plague whereas those who know, know these are often much quicker than the main roads during peak hours, even if you have to be alert for deer and pheasants. Quite a few have level crossings or even fords, so maybe that affects how google treats them.

Google maps used to send people coming up to my house from the south through a ford nobody in their right mind would drive through short of having a Landrover, all to save a couple of hundred yards. This is fortunately not now happening. The map doesn't show a passage there at all now.

Last edited:
Had a motorhome Garmin and it routed me to a 6'6" wide bridge crossing. It also tried to make me undertake a 290 degree turn, looking at the screen you could see it was done to save about 50 yards. TomTom - had a camper version which failed after 18 months and they had discontinued so offered a new non camper for more money than the discount on Amazon. Famous lifetime application which expired as well.
Waze/Maps for Android.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel