what to ask your dealer when checking on an order

vini

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I'm nearly 16 weeks in with my wait for a car, and I am about to start a weekly call to my dealer to get updates (and to pester them a bit)

what questions could I ask that might get an idea as to what might be happening - or not happening as the case may be?

people have mentioned getting the VIN number and dealers advising what ship a car is on,

I'm expecting a number of comments (reasons for not knowing when the car might arrive) relating to covid lockdowns in China, shortage of HGV drivers here, etc etc

Has anyone managed to get any useful information out of their dealer?

At the moment getting a specific model/colour depends on allocation luck - MG are building and shipping cars and allocating (seemingly at random) to dealers. Specific customer orders won't likely hit the factory system until January at the earliest. (@Miles Roberts CG said this on the last podcast). So probably March delivery for such orders.

If your dealer knows the VIN then they (or another dealership in the group) will be getting that car whenever it arrives, so you can ask about expected dock date for the boat and then add 4 weeks for anticipated collection (for the car to process at Portbury, transport to the dealer, then do PDI). If they don't know the VIN then your order hasn't even been acknowledged yet by the factory so you might be better casting around other dealerships to see if they're likely to get your spec earlier.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back