What tyres are you going for?

Ro88ygh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all our fronts are approaching the markers and was wondering what tyres are out their and what people are going for. Any better tyres than the standard?

I think the Michelin E-Primacy are pretty decent in terms of economy while maintaining good grip, but they're not cheap.

Hi all our fronts are approaching the markers and was wondering what tyres are out their and what people are going for. Any better tyres than the standard?

These are what I got and they totally changed the car for me, great improvement.

Just about anything. 😉

Goodyear EfficientGrip seem to be a good compromise between grip, efficiency and cost.
I don't need to change mine anytime soon but this conversation crops up every now and then, but nobody seems to mention sound/volume.
Decibel levels are measured on a logarithmic scale. This means that an increase of just a few decibels can represent a big difference in noise levels. and a quick look on Kwikfit shows tyres ranging from about 67 to 72dB. Am I wrong in thinking this is a factor to be considered for a quiet EV or is the difference irrelevant inside the car ?

it will make a difference inside the car, and being an EV that is rather quiet, all the more noticeable.
The difference between 67 and 72 is, from memory, twice the as loud if not more.

I've had no issue with the tyres provided on my car and I'm wondering if the LR's have different factory rubber than the SR's came out with.

I don't need to change mine anytime soon but this conversation crops up every now and then, but nobody seems to mention sound/volume.
Decibel levels are measured on a logarithmic scale. This means that an increase of just a few decibels can represent a big difference in noise levels. and a quick look on Kwikfit shows tyres ranging from about 67 to 72dB. Am I wrong in thinking this is a factor to be considered for a quiet EV or is the difference irrelevant inside the car ?
Ive not noticed any difference in sound, but I guess its hard to judge unless you have something to measure it and you get into one with different tyres to compare.

Which tyres would anyone suggest for minimising road noise?
Quiet ones :ROFLMAO:

On a more serious note, all tyres will have a noise rating in their sales blurb so it's easy to compare one with another but, you have to understand that everything is a compromise. The tyre with best noise characteristics may for example, be the worst for dry stopping distance. You need to think about all of the key characteristics (noise/longevity/grip/price) and weight them according to your preferences before making a final choice.

I went for 4 x Michelin CrossClimate 2 205/60 R16 V (96) from Black Circles back in September after getting the car - covered about 5.5k miles and definitely got more grip that OEM tyres. I went for the 'V' rating to match the original EP422 but don't imagine you'll exceed the limits of an 'H' rating.
I'm intrigued. You mention these have more grip then the OEM tyres. What were you doing to lose grip with the OEM ?

The worst thing you could do right now is order ECO or EV tyres. These things are a mess if it comes to performance. See the tyre test shown below. I would opt for a good perimium tyre, I am coming from a Tesla Model S and I can tell with the experience I had there budget tyres are the wrong choice. And from my previous experience on a gas car eco tyres are a wrong choice on the performance level. It felt like coming home watching this tyre test.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom