What would you say to a potential new MG ZS EV owner 🤔

AussiePete

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello all from an EV newbie.

I am on the verge of buying a new (70 reg) MG ZS EV Exclusive, but before I do I wondered if anyone has any any advice they’d like to share to convince me to do it now, hold off for a better deal or steer clear (hopefully no one will advise if this later option - but I am open to all feedback or advice)

Please let me know your thoughts on the MG ZS EV, good or bad as I want to make a well informed decision

You sound like you’re phishing for free market research.
My suggestion is that you watch the hundreds of MG uploads on YouTube to get a good feel for the car.

You sound like you’re phishing for free market research.
My suggestion is that you watch the hundreds of MG uploads on YouTube to get a good feel for the car.
I’m just after opinion to help me decide as I have a heart vs head decision going on.

I’ve seen the car, I’ve read the reviews and I’ve read a lot of what’s on this forum. I’ve not seen anything that would put me off but thought I’d ask those who’ve owned and driven the car for longer than my half hour test drive.

If you are after an SUV then I don't think you could get a better deal than what MG are offering at the moment. Don't hesitate too long as the Exclusive spec at just over 20K will all be snapped up. I traded in my 4 year old BMW i3 for an MG ZS EV Exclusive in September and haven't regretted it (yet).

If you are after an SUV then I don't think you could get a better deal than what MG are offering at the moment. Don't hesitate too long as the Exclusive spec at just over 20K will all be snapped up. I traded in my 4 year old BMW i3 for an MG ZS EV Exclusive in September and haven't regretted it (yet).
Thanks Jake, that’s the kind of thing I’m looking to hear 👍

Hi there I had a Volvo XC90 for 10 years and loved the car; problems were cost of fuel and low emissions and congestion charges, that said I read the reviews, which personally I thought were unfair on many levels as I drove the car and thought it was well built and full of tech and for the money and moving in to the EV world well it just made sense. I bought mine in March and to date have driven nearly 12000 miles and I love it. My one and only wish is that it could go further on one charge, but then it wouldn’t be at that price.
I would fully recommend this car.

Hi there I had a Volvo XC90 for 10 years and loved the car; problems were cost of fuel and low emissions and congestion charges, that said I read the reviews, which personally I thought were unfair on many levels as I drove the car and thought it was well built and full of tech and for the money and moving in to the EV world well it just made sense. I bought mine in March and to date have driven nearly 12000 miles and I love it. My one and only wish is that it could go further on one charge, but then it wouldn’t be at that price.
I would fully recommend this car.
Thanks Mark, I’m almost there, range anxiety is an issue for me too, however I only do a few trips a year where I would go long distance - probably more than 95% will be within a full charge distance.

In September I was out side the MG showroom talking the purchase over with my wife and I asked her the exact same question. Should I go with my head and buy the ZS as it was a good deal and a brilliant spec even thought the 163 mile range was a bit low, or should I follow my heart and go for a much more expensive SUV from a different manufacturer which had a lower spec. Needless to say I decided on the ZS. I haven't regretted as it's great value for money and a lovely drive, even though it has a few foibles which I can live with.

If 95% of your journeys are within a full charge range and you have a 7kW home charge point then range isn't an issue. Plugging in each time you return home becomes second nature and you can relax knowing you have a 'full tank' for your next journey. Did you have that comfort when using petrol?

Range anxiety isn't an issue for 99% of my driving as not been able to go that far (yet), but I am lucky I guess as my wife has an ICE (my old car), and if we ever get to the point where we need to do a longer journey, and where I don't want the hassle of finding a rapid charger, then we will simply take the ICE car. If you don't have access to something like this, you can always hire a car for that once or twice a year long trip!
BTW, I love the car, the comfort, the drive etc. What's not to like?

On long journeys I'm ready for a break every 1-2 hours (80-100 miles) and have always managed to plan a suitable route having a coffee/lunch/dinner/toilet break at a rapid charger with facilities. If time isn't an issue then enjoy the journey and seek out interesting pubs/hotels/shopping centres just off the motorway network or on most A roads. If time is critical then I agree EV is not yet practical but getting there.

I don't regret getting the car at all (apart from the pi$$-poor dealer preparation). One thing we weren't aware of is that after the charger was installed, the local electricity company come out and said our electricity service is shared with our neighbour, and it'd have to be altered so we each have our own supply so we could safely use the charger and all of the other electrical applieans we both have. Cue heavy use of disc cutters, excavators, and general noise and lots and lots of mess to do this, right from the footpath up our shared driveway. This would have definately had a bearing on us getting any EV....

Someone in our street also purchased an MG and has been told he'll have to have the same thing done, so this is something to bear in mind. As for the car, love it, love driving it. Don't forget to check out Zap Map for free chargers in your area too ;)

How much is the CSS connection a problem? My previous EV has the Chademo connector, which seems to be on every motorway charging point.

I have planned a trip from South Wales to Surrey, and the only convenient CSS conected charging point is at a pub in Swindon. And this moment is out of action. But there are several CCS chargers in Swindon, but in the town and some way from the motorway.

I am surprised that there is no adaptor ...

Yes I have ZapMap app. But as said on the M4 motorway seems to be a bit thin on the ground...

Have looked again, and there does seem to be quite a few, but the Bristol to Reading is a little sparse. I see they have them at Chieveley service station..:)

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom