WhatCar survey: repairs not covered by warranty.

NLMGSAN

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Hi there. I'm new to this forum. Found some good info here, as well as some good jokes :)

I ran into the results of this Whatcar survey. While the MG5 ranks high on reliability, the MG4 is the opposite. Apart from lots faults, it was quite worrying to read that you guys seem to pay for them as well to get them fixed.

Can you give an example of what was NOT repaired under warranty, other than the usual dents in the bodywork?

Paintwork bubbling and flaking off - although I've raised a case with the Ombudsman so I'm hoping MG will be paying for this ultimately...

So how did they explain the issue?
All the MG dealership would say (and MG UK parroted) was that the flaking paint was in their opinion caused by a stone chip. They repeatedly ignored my request to explain the bubbling of paint at two additional areas on the same panel. Fed up with not being listened to, I've escalated this complaint to the Ombudsman. Obviously wouldn't expect such an issue on a 7month old car...

Hi there. I'm new to this forum. Found some good info here, as well as some good jokes :)

I ran into the results of this Whatcar survey. While the MG5 ranks high on reliability, the MG4 is the opposite. Apart from lots faults, it was quite worrying to read that you guys seem to pay for them as well to get them fixed.

Can you give an example of what was NOT repaired under warranty, other than the usual dents in the bodywork?
It seems to depend which country you are in but general wearing parts such as tyres and brakes aren't covered after the first 1000 miles.

What examples of us having to pay for fixing of faults have you come across?

It seems to depend which country you are in but general wearing parts such as tyres and brakes aren't covered after the first 1000 miles.

What examples of us having to pay for fixing of faults have you come across?

I know only those examples that are mentioned in this thread. So that's one: paintwork.

The reason I asked the forum was this: "Although 80% of the afflicted cars were fixed for free, 20% of owners faced bills of £1000 to £1500, and 70% of the cars were laid up for more than a week."

With the MG5, high on the reliability list!!!, every issue including body work was covered under warranty. Not so with the MG4.
That triggered my curiosity since I could not really understand why it should differ between that much the two MG's.

Warranty handling surely differs per country. Not saying they are doing great here (NL). There also seems to be a lot of difference between the dealers here.

This paintwork issue also occurred in NL but it seems to be dying out. But I did not read anything about having to pay for it.

The most recent one was a leaking rear trunk tail light with soaked led bars. The poor implementation of AC and AA and A/C not working are frewuently heard. But those seem to be covered with software updates (which btw MG does not consider to be theit innitiative..) Software updates also seriously improved LKA. Still some people complain about harsh interventions but that also happens with other brands. Part of this is related to also using TJA. That also 'grabs' your steering wheel. But some don't even know they have it activated with steering assistance.

Next, there are complaints that cannot be fixed with software: poorly balanced wheels, steering will not centered and of course, probably related, noise an trembling at certain speeds. On and off, electric equipments seems to be at fault as well, and these ones seem to be quite stubburn leading owners to give the car back. But I haven't read anything about the electric motor (as mentioned in the WhatCar survey results).

Of course there are still a lot of complaints about settings getting lost when you restart the car. But that is an issue everywhere. Not just with MG, although some manufacturers handle them more wisely than MG.
Personally, I could accept it if it concerned the essential safety settings only. But anything else, including sub settings of safety systems, and OPD should be in memory.
One idea could be that the favorite buttons may contain multiple settings, one following the other. In this way you could select drive modes as well as OPD or LKA in one button. That would greatly negate the complaints about the default safety settings if they refuse to allow to cancel them fully.

Here's one that seem to cost you money: Undertray dip/bulge. There's a thread here dedicated to it and a replacement is said to be 700 pounds. Stunning attitude of MG for something that never fitted properly.

Last edited:
Here's one that seem to cost you money: Undertray dip/bulge. There's a thread here dedicated to it an a replacement is said to be 700 pounds. Stunning attitude of MG for something that never fitted properly.
There is also a thread the says it cost them £200. Still a rip off for a defective part but a lot cheaper than the headline grabbing £700

There is also a thread the says it cost them £200. Still a rip off for a defective part but a lot cheaper than the headline grabbing £700
It is a part that simply does not fit. Like putting a Volvo hood on a VW.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I know only those examples that are mentioned in this thread. So that's one: paintwork.

The reason I asked the forum was this: "Although 80% of the afflicted cars were fixed for free, 20% of owners faced bills of £1000 to £1500, and 70% of the cars were laid up for more than a week."

With the MG5, high on the reliability list!!!, every issue including body work was covered under warranty. Not so with the MG4.
That triggered my curiosity since I could not really understand why it should differ between that much the two MG's.

Warranty handling surely differs per country. Not saying they are doing great here (NL). There also seems to be a lot of difference between the dealers here.

This paintwork issue also occurred in NL but it seems to be dying out. But I did not read anything about having to pay for it.

The most recent one was a leaking rear trunk tail light with soaked led bars. The poor implementation of AC and AA and A/C not working are frewuently heard. But those seem to be covered with software updates (which btw MG does not consider to be theit innitiative..) Software updates also seriously improved LKA. Still some people complain about harsh interventions but that also happens with other brands. Part of this is related to also using TJA. That also 'grabs' your steering wheel. But some don't even know they have it activated with steering assistance.

Next, there are complaints that cannot be fixed with software: poorly balanced wheels, steering will not centered and of course, probably related, noise an trembling at certain speeds. On and off, electric equipments seems to be at fault as well, and these ones seem to be quite stubburn leading owners to give the car back. But I haven't read anything about the electric motor (as mentioned in the WhatCar survey results).

Of course there are still a lot of complaints about settings getting lost when you restart the car. But that is an issue everywhere. Not just with MG, although some manufacturers handle them more wisely than MG.
Personally, I could accept it if it concerned the essential safety settings only. But anything else, including sub settings of safety systems, and OPD should be in memory.
One idea could be that the favorite buttons may contain multiple settings, one following the other. In this way you could select drive modes as well as OPD or LKA in one button. That would greatly negate the complaints about the default safety settings if they refuse to allow to cancel them fully.
I'd be interested to hear of other examples of paintwork problems, do you have any?

I'd be interested to hear of other examples of paintwork problems, do you have any?
I saw your post about paint peeling off.
There are a number of members complaining about the paint job but it usually is hidden in different topics. As I cannot read everything it is difficult to just link to all of them. But I did a simple search with the word paint and some may look interesting:
Thoughts on first 7 months ownership (mg5?)
Rusty holes (mg5)

In NL, peeling off and air pockets were reported. Also, some cars came back after a wash with scratches, which lead to the conclusion the top layer isn't very strong.

I do hope you can sort this out with MG. It still is a lot of money. So you may expect decent quality or at least, decent service.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel