Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Between 3.5 & 4 miles

Votes: 38 53.5%
  • Between 4 & 4.5 miles

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • More than 4.5 miles

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters
The forum for my old car had a few threads similar to this, as with only a modest battery but an ICE backup you could measure in different ways. The threads were Achieving 40 miles on one charge, then 50 miles and one or two had managed 60. The idea was that you started and ended at the same place, so you couldn't just go and coast down a mountain.

In a few years ownership I never quite reached 50 on one charge (about 10.4 kw IIRC).

Of course we can't really do that with the MG5, as in the Ampera the ICE kicked in if you misjudged how much leccy you had left, whereas here it'd be a call to the AA :)

2300 miles in 3 months at 4.3m/Kw. Old petrol car did 40mpg. Most driving short urban. Effectively returning 43 miles per 50p as all our charging is on Octopus Go. Petrol currently £6.70 a gallon so our EV experience is 13 times less expensive than the old ICE drive.

The MG5 LR is now a few furlongs short of its first 1,000 miles and according to the dashboard display it's managed 3.5 miles/kWh. Considering that all those miles were in the Northern Highlands and Shetland, I reckon that's OK. We get a lot of weather up here (often several sorts at once), so the heater, demister, heated rear window, lights, wipers, etc. all get regular use. It'll be interesting to see how this changes when winter arrives - last time round, we had one night here in Inverness when it got as low as -13C. Mind you, that was balmy - in Braemar it was -23C...

I have had my 5 for 3 months now (Standard range Excite). The first 3 months have worked out at 4.6 mpkwh overall (according to the screen), but so far I have driven only 1000 miles in total. However, I am puzzled by the fact that individual journeys register about 4 to 4.2 mpkwh. I assume that this is because I am making quite short journeys , typically about 10 miles or so (Isle of Wight remember), and this leads to an underestimate on individual trips. Can anyone confirm that this is so? When I have managed a slightly longer trip and got up to about 20 miles then 4.5 ish seems to be the order of the day. The temperature over these past 3 months has been good overall, typically in the teens and twenties. However, I have noticed in the last 2 days, when there has been frost on the car and the air temperature has been as low as 3 degrees, that a 10 mile journey which has typically been around 4 mpkwh has dropped to 3.5. This was with lights on and more use of the AC. I assume that this is the shape of things to come over the winter. It will be interesting to monitor and see what effect this has on the overall figure. I won't reset for now, I want to see what happens over a whole 12 month period. Interesting stuff I think.
It is not an exact science. There are too many factors for a short journey to accurately measure. For instance, drawing current will heat the battery, as the battery heats the internal resistance drops and the battery can more easily deliver power, improving efficiency, so efficiency will improve. However temperature will also increase the voltage so if it is trying to use the voltage drop to measure the kWH used then as it heats it will think it has used less capacity. Voltage drop is non-linear in relation to the remaining kWH so it is not a easy gauge anyway. But then I had a car where the fuel tank stayed on maximum for roughly 60% of the miles, then dropped rapidly until the fuel light lit with about 80% of the tank used. It was a small tank so I had to try to remember to set the trip meter to avoid sudden fuel stops.

Love to know how many miles are getting per kWh... I have only had my 5 for 2 weeks now so wondering what average I should be looking at once I've done a few more miles
Hi
Mg5 long range
I have done 750 miles in 6 weeks
Averaging 3.2 mile / kWh
Mostly my journeys are about 1.5 miles
I use car as I would my old ice car heating or ac on
fan on
Phone charging
Dash cam on
Radio on
Sometimes eco mode or normal mode
Kers 2 or 3
(if I remember to turn them on to eco and let’s 3)😂
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

It is not an exact science. There are too many factors for a short journey to accurately measure. For instance, drawing current will heat the battery, as the battery heats the internal resistance drops and the battery can more easily deliver power, improving efficiency, so efficiency will improve. However temperature will also increase the voltage so if it is trying to use the voltage drop to measure the kWH used then as it heats it will think it has used less capacity. Voltage drop is non-linear in relation to the remaining kWH so it is not a easy gauge anyway. But then I had a car where the fuel tank stayed on maximum for roughly 60% of the miles, then dropped rapidly until the fuel light lit with about 80% of the tank used. It was a small tank so I had to try to remember to set the trip meter to avoid sudden fuel stops.
This is a fascinating subject - I will enjoy exploring it over the winter.

Love to know how many miles are getting per kWh... I have only had my 5 for 2 weeks now so wondering what average I should be looking at once I've done a few more miles
I got 3.4m/kw over my first 1500m, half of it on motorways.
That number only matters when charge drops or on long journeys.

I am on 15p/kw, if I push to 4m/kw it would save me £1.35 on a charge, not worth the bother.

Every time I do a trip, it seems to rain heavily and need a/c + lights on, so I've been getting somewhere round 3.2. Also probably doesn't help that I drive in normal instead of eco mode and have Regen set to 3.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom