Which home charging point

nande2000uk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Got an MG EV on order. Any recommendations on which is the home charging point to go for?

Zappi and Podpoint seem to be the main two. I’ve found a local installer who will get one installed before the grant cut off next month but he’s pushing the Zappi 7kw tethered

There are lots of existing threads on this subject so I'd start by looking at some of those.
There are certainly more than two contenders so it's worth spending a bit of time working out what you want, not what your installer finds convenient/lucrative.
Shout out if you're having trouble finding similar threads.

I agree with Alb. Your money and your choice not the installers.
Again everyone to their own but I prefer to have the untethered charging lead as I can keep it in the car for use at public chargers and think the point looks neater without the cable when not charging.

Most definitely personal choice. However if they can supply and fit within the next 4 weeks and get the grant, that does have some weight.

I went with an eo mini as I wanted a small and discretely installed untethered socket. Conservation zone would not be amused with a huge bright white and lime green podpoint on the wall, I'm not paying for planning permission to be rejected.

I have an ohme home pro. Apparently its a smart charger that works with your electricity tariffs. Am sure most of them now a days do. Does not support Solar but has integrations in place with other car specific apps. Meaning you don't need to login to your car app to manage charging. Surely all other chargers support all this. MG integration is on the way though. But as pointed previously, the question is who can do an install before 31 March to be getting the OZEV grant.

Try Charging Solutions they helped me. A wee bit dearer than the others.
I am having an Ohme pro fitted on Thursday

Last edited:
I have a Zappi and it has worked flawlessly since installed in September. It is also able to link directly to my solar panels, so that it can, on a sunny day, charge my car at no cost. On less sunny days it works on a combination of solar panels and the grid.

I have the Ohme one also , a little disappointed that it looks a little untidy. I can’t seem to get it to look like the guys did , might be that I don’t have the strength to do it like they do😊

There are lots of existing threads on this subject so I'd start by looking at some of those.
There are certainly more than two contenders so it's worth spending a bit of time working out what you want, not what your installer finds convenient/lucrative.
Shout out if you're having trouble finding similar threads.
I recently got an Ohme which cost me £670 with government grant. Looks good and gets special tariff with Octopus.

Got an MG EV on order. Any recommendations on which is the home charging point to go for?

Zappi and Podpoint seem to be the main two. I’ve found a local installer who will get one installed before the grant cut off next month but he’s pushing the Zappi 7kw tethered
I'm having an ohme home pro installed it doesn't support solar, but links to cheap tariff rates if your supplier provides this. You can also use the ohme app to programme charging times /rates.

I'm pleased with it, and although it is tight for the grant, JD Earth are installing at short notice and at a reasonable price

The Ohme Home Pro is the best unit out there. They work really well with the MG. Just make sure you avoid BP Chargemaster at all costs.........

Agreed about BP. I checked them out before buying the Zappi, and when you look at the small print (lots of it !) it works out as a very expensive option, not to mention the fact that they are still contacting me to try to get me to sign up five months later because even though didn't respond when I saw the cost. Give BP a wide berth !

I went with the EO mini Pro 2 as its is a smart charger and is also the smallest and most discrete being about the size of an A5 piece of paper, also comes in several colours £595 with the grant.

I've got two Zappi's (second going in on 1st March) as I wanted one for the i3 I already have and then my wife is going for a ZS, because both can link together to the existing solar monitor (Harvi and Hub) it's going to make installation and usage much easier as we already use their app.

More expensive but packed full of features that we already like using, especially now we're likely to be able to have a car left using the solar for most of the week whilst the other is in use.

I would strongly advise you not to get a Wallbox. I've had two fail on me in the space of 3 months. I have asked them to come and take it away and refund my £499.00 but they are ignoring me.

I've the Ohme Pro and very pleased with it.

or the Hypervolt, same as the zappi but doesn't look like a toilet seat stuck on the wall, and not forgetting it comes with party mode.
Well maybe it doesn't look like a toiletseat, it sure looks like the lid on that toiletseat, but a bit more contemperary 😂
Screenshot_20220226-175616_YouTube.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom