Which model should I choose? ZS Trophy or ZS Trophy Long range?

mrg9999

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I bought the 2022 model ZS Trophy connect that only comes in Long range

Last edited:
Depends on the milage you do daily and how many long trips you do each year. Either model will do both well but you'll have to stop more often with the standard range model on long journeys. According to the MG website there are 4 choices, SE & Trophy in standard and long range.

Upvote 0
Depends on the milage you do daily and how many long trips you do each year. Either model will do both well but you'll have to stop more often with the standard range model on long journeys. According to the MG website there are 4 choices, SE & Trophy in standard and long range.
Update - I bought the ZS Trophy connect

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The long range only seems to add about an extra 50 miles for £2000.
There is 75 WLTP miles range difference between standard and long-range (198 miles vs 273 miles).

To answer the question is it worth a £2000 price difference, you need to assess your individual situation.
  • What is your average daily distance?
  • What roads do you usually drive? Is WLTP realistic? For example, if you drive mostly motorways your range will be much shorter than WLTP.
  • What is the longest trip you are planning to make? And how often it may happen?
  • What is the price difference between your regular destination charging (home or work) and fast public charging?
  • How reliable is your destination charging, will you be able always to use it? For example, if you are planning to charge at work, how confident you are there will be always a charger available for you.

An additional complication is caused by different chemistry of batteries in standard and long range. Standard - always charge to 100%, long-range: recommended 80% charge most of the time.

Upvote 0
If you are doing a long trip and Rapid charging say between 20-80% then you don't gain a huge amount with an LR but you will start at 100% that will go a bit further.

Upvote 0
Recently I took a Hyundai Kona 64KW from Brighton to Aberdeen 700 miles. Car did 200 miles down to 15%. We made 5 stops and it took 30mins to charge. Return we managed in 4 stops. I only do this sort of trips about twice a year, mostly it's about 120 miles per week.

The long range only seems to add about an extra 50 miles for £2000.
After owning the Gen1 ZS EV for two years.
When I considered upgrading to the Gen 2 facelift model, the battery size(s) had not been announced at.
At the time, the Kona and the E.Nero offered models with a 64 Kwh battery, but both of these cars were a lot more expensive than the MG.
I was keeping my fingers firmly crossed that the face lift model would at least offer the same size battery as the Kona etc.
So I was pleased to find that the higher spec Long Range Trophy 🏆 and Connect models would be offered with the 72.6 kWh pack.
This totally sealed the deal for us TBH.
The slight increased in range on the new facelift standard model was an improvement over the original Gen1 ZS EV but not enough to warrant the extra expense of the upgrade.
We find having that extra range in reserve, really suits our usage case.
Some thing you MAY think is worth some consideration.
As in all EV’s over time, there will be some battery degradation in the traction battery.
Factor this into your plans IF you are buying second hand or if you intend to keep the car a while.
If you choose a battery size that will just about suit your usage needs in summer conditions, when the winter time returns or as the car ages, you may come up short on range or you will be charging more often.
Only speaking for myself and set against our usage case, opting for the long range model has these issues covered.
I strongly advise that you build in some range loss / redundancy into your figures.
Of course a larger pack will cost you more initially, but if you find in the winter months that you are struggling with range, then you will find yourself saying, “I should have gone to the bigger pack”.
Yes - £2,000 on the face of it does sound like a lot of money for that extra 70 ( ish ) miles of range.
But that extra 70 miles is not a one off situation, it is at your disposal ANY time you wish to use it.
If you found yourself running short of range on a longer trip in the standard range ( maybe due to a diversion / road works etc ) you would be grateful for that extra 70 miles then alright !.
Everybody is different and no two situations are the same, but if your finances allow it, go for the extra range.
If you under estimate yourself on the range required all year round, upgrading to a EV with more range is likely to be impossible with a spend of £2,000 for sure !.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The long range doesn't seem worth it to me.
Some dealers say there is only one Trophy models, the long range one.

How do I get a definitive answer?

Question why do I have to wait 85 seconds to submit my thread? Is it because I'm a new user?
For the extra £2000KW battery I would say go for it.

Upvote 0
The issue is with the long range you only really have 60% off the battery. Using 20-80% off the battery, On SR 100%, so are they really not the same?
You can have up to 100% whenever you want / require it. Likewise you don't have to only go down to 20%. If I am arriving back home from a long journey I am happy to drop to just before limp home mode starts, as I know I have a guaranteed chargepoint once home. Even limp mode on 30mph road's in the London suburbs is fine. On route on a long journey outwards then I would not want to go below 20% whilst still travelling. If my destination eg a cottage had charging facility ( dedicated chargepoint or safely wired plug for a granny) then again I'd be happy to drop low. Our usual weekly charge is 50% to 80% once a week.

Upvote 0
The long range doesn't seem worth it to me.
Some dealers say there is only one Trophy models, the long range one.
The MG UK website is still advertising both long and short range.
£2495 price difference new (for the Trophy spec). I suggest you would retain most, if not all of that price difference on resale.

Upvote 0
I never had an EV before this one due to the cost and the so called range anxiety? the Gen 1 I would not go for due to the range. I opted for the long range knowing if I need to do a long journey I can take it to 100% and travel an additional 60 miles with no worries. I drive my ev as an ice car using the heating and air con and for local driving I do not see any difference between them except for the smooth and quiet ride of the ev.

Upvote 0
The main reason I went for the Gen 2 short range - aside from the fact that I hadn't really found 'range anxiety' to be an issue in my earlier Gen 1 - was the battery chemistry: LFP on the SR & NMC on the LR. The LFP is delightful to use, has little range degrdation, can be chaged to full regularly & provides for many, many more charge cycles than the NMC. Same as for the difference between SR & LR Tesla models.

Upvote 0
The amount of journeys I have done in the last 6 months where I have to actually stop to charge to get my destination is 3.

The average UK journey length is 7 miles.

Yes, I have 900 mile trip to France this summer, and it would likely be better with the LR, but is it enough to justify it? Probably not.

There's an environmental aspect to it for me as well. Over buying on the battery introduces more co2 into the atmosphere and more things that need recycling.

Upvote 0
The amount of journeys I have done in the last 6 months where I have to actually stop to charge to get my destination is 3.

The average UK journey length is 7 miles.

Yes, I have 900 mile trip to France this summer, and it would likely be better with the LR, but is it enough to justify it? Probably not.

There's an environmental aspect to it for me as well. Over buying on the battery introduces more co2 into the atmosphere and more things that need recycling.
It sounds like you have done a great job matching your usage case, with the battery size in your car !.
Buying an EV that matches your usage case for 95% of the time in use, is where you want to be really.
On the odd occasions where you are then going to take on that very rare long trip of 900 miles, then of course a larger battery would help, purely by reducing the number of charging stops.
But on a trip of that size, you are going to be charging a lot anyway ?.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom