Which Wall chargers

I have a Zappi which works well with my 3.8 Kwh solar installation, but to take full advantage of solar energy it means charging very slowly. However if you don't use the car every day there's no problem with slow charging and of course it's good for the HV battery.

We had a Rolec Wallpod installed as part of the local MG dealer offered package. We had to have 30 metre cable run from the house electricity meter cupboard around the garden to the Rolec pod point located at the back of the garage. All up cost was £700. The cable was fitted unobtrusively and carefully. I have now been using the Rolec podpoint to charge for our ZSEV for just under a year without hitch or failure. So my question, why does the community (in other MGEV site postings) think The Rolec charger is to be avoided.
I can only speak as I find, my ROLEC was installed in November 19, FOC. It is on an outside wall and tethered. I am not a techie but have had no problems apart from an issue with the smart meter which has now been rectified. I only charge at night, cheap rate time, so don't touch the box to see if warm.

I can only speak as I find, my ROLEC was installed in November 19, FOC. It is on an outside wall and tethered. I am not a techie but have had no problems apart from an issue with the smart meter which has now been rectified. I only charge at night, cheap rate time, so don't touch the box to see if warm.
A lot will depend on your usage patterns.
If you are only covering a small amount of mileage and therefore charging less often, or more importantly shorter time frames, then RCBO failures will be less likely.
Frequent long charging over long periods will test the quality of the component inside of this ( or any ) type of high load demand piece of equipment.
As a similar comparison, you would expect your electrical system to be under some type of strain if you where to request an 7kw electric shower to draw a high load for almost 6 hours !.
Not to mention your face when you get your water bill 🤣.
Joking apart, it is frequent LONG charging cycles that is like to expose any issues.

We had a Rolec Wallpod installed as part of the local MG dealer offered package. We had to have 30 metre cable run from the house electricity meter cupboard around the garden to the Rolec pod point located at the back of the garage. All up cost was £700. The cable was fitted unobtrusively and carefully. I have now been using the Rolec podpoint to charge for our ZSEV for just under a year without hitch or failure. So my question, why does the community (in other MGEV site postings) think The Rolec charger is to be avoided.
I had a Rolec smart meter installed in Feb 2020. It worked fine as a dumb charger and - THIS IS KEY! - seemed to connect well to ev.energy. I then changed to Octopus GO and smart charging bacame possible. Since May 2020 it has never reliably connected and it took ages for them to accept the modem was faulty. I've had a number of visits from the installers because they don't carry a stock of spares. Every item for warranty repair has to be ordered from Rolec. It's only ever smart charged a few times since. It even stopped charging at all at one point because the tethered cable failed. Repairing that took 2 visits and a couple of weeks. The link to ev.energy then failed again as the van drove away. That was in April. Still not fixed. These chargers are junk. End of

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom