Who still uses old driving methods?

I can't understand how going from 3 to 4 in an autobox at 60 mph could cause a problem? Yes going from 4 to 1 or R perhaps!
Sorry. I worded it badly. They thought they were in a manual and changed what they thought was third to fourth but in reality they went from D to R. I've edited the original post to clarify what I meant.

I can't understand how going from 3 to 4 in an autobox at 60 mph could cause a problem? Yes going from 4 to 1 or R perhaps!
I think the idea is that you’re trying to shift 3-4 on a manual gearbox, but you’re driving an auto so actually shift from drive to park or reverse etc.

I don't have a problem with the rotary gear change although I think it could be more ergonometrically designed.

Let's hear it for muscle memory though. I'm currently on Rhodes driving a Peugeot 108 1 litre pig of a hire car with the gearbox from hell. But even though I haven't owned a manual gearshift car since 2009, and everything is the wrong way round, my hands and my feet still remember.

The rotary gear change could have been a smaller toggle, forward for D, back for R, a bit more logical and taking less room. When 3 point turning, I have to look to see which way to turn for R is, for some reason it is counterintuitive.

BTW what happens if you press P while driving along eg on a motorway? Hopefully it ignores it? I daren't try.

I don't have a problem with the rotary gear change although I think it could be more ergonometrically designed.

Let's hear it for muscle memory though. I'm currently on Rhodes driving a Peugeot 108 1 litre pig of a hire car with the gearbox from hell. But even though I haven't owned a manual gearshift car since 2009, and everything is the wrong way round, my hands and my feet still remember.

Its like the old tale of the motorcyclist who after many years removed his sidecar but the first time he stopped at a set of lights his muscle memory thought the sidecar was still attached and he toppled over sideways.

No, I usually get positioning just about right first time, my HGV experience and use of mirrors helps and now I have a 360 deg view camera I can get it spot on.
It always makes me chuckle when I see people shuffling back and forth, I wonder how much fuel they are wasting and brake wear they are adding to their car.
This is by far the easiest car I've ever had for parking.
But spare a thought for the paupers like @siteguru, the povery-spec SE doesn't have the 360 camera. 😉

I think rotary gear selectors are a pain and I don't like them, though as has been said I only use it once at the beginning and end of each journey.

While the traditional auto front to back selector is familiar for many, it is actually counterintuitive with 'D' at the back (towards you) and 'R' at the front (away from you).

We can adapt to anything but I think that whole plinth with the rotary and parking brake is a waste of space, a bad design AND it is the wrong way around for RHD cars.

Why would you ever be taking it out of D at traffic lights? Surely everyone leaves it in D all the time and uses autohold? I only change it when reversing to park, or press P at the end of a journey.

I tried using auto hold when I first got the car because it seemed like the perfect system - I soon got sick of the jerky starts every time I moved off though.

Its like the old tale of the motorcyclist who after many years removed his sidecar but the first time he stopped at a set of lights his muscle memory thought the sidecar was still attached and he toppled over sideways.

In a manual car, to change gear, it's (1) foot down (clutch), (2) hand on the gear lever, (3) foot up.

I tried to ride a motorbike but the clutch is operated by the hand, the gear selector by the foot.

I kept (1) kicking the gear selector, THEN (2) pulling the clutch lever with my hand, then (3) kicking the gear selector again. Ie still doing foot / hand / foot.

I couldn't override the car gear change muscle-memory.

Obviously many people can including @Rolfe but my brain was too hard-wired.

I tried using auto hold when I first got the car because it seemed like the perfect system - I soon got sick of the jerky starts every time I moved off though.

I understand. I don't find it jerky, and I often accelerate enthusiastically, but not always!

One tip, is when autohold is on (ie holding and P is green) if you tap the brake pedal first it unlocks autohold and you start a slow roll / crawl. Then can acccelerate gently.

In a manual car, to change gear, it's (1) foot down (clutch), (2) hand on the gear lever, (3) foot up.

I tried to ride a motorbike but the clutch is operated by the hand, the gear selector by the foot.

I kept (1) kicking the gear selector, THEN (2) pulling the clutch lever with my hand, then (3) kicking the gear selector again. Ie still doing foot / hand / foot.

I couldn't override the car gear change muscle-memory.

Obviously many people can including @Rolfe but my brain was too hard-wired.

Never had this, the only occasions I sometimes get confused on a bike is if I’ve forgotten to tell the mechanic on a race bike I prefer road pattern (up for up and down for down)
If it’s still in a race pattern it can lead to some embarrassing moments, but only the once….

It shouldn't be jerky, mine isn't. Brake sliders might need lubrication?

Mine isn't jerky either. They might have improved the system with the MG4 over the MG5.

I understand. I don't find it jerky, and I often accelerate enthusiastically, but not always!

One tip, is when autohold is on (ie holding and P is green) if you tap the brake pedal first it unlocks autohold and you start a slow roll / crawl. Then can acccelerate gently.
Yes, you can also tap the accelerator to release on a red and yellow light and then accelerate away on green if you want it to be seamless.

The rotary gear change could have been a smaller toggle, forward for D, back for R, a bit more logical and taking less room. When 3 point turning, I have to look to see which way to turn for R is, for some reason it is counterintuitive.

BTW what happens if you press P while driving along eg on a motorway? Hopefully it ignores it? I daren't try.
A bit of the issue is that the setup is obviously more leaning towards the LHD version, rotary dial is closer and turning the opposite directions

It's not that difficult but I much preferred the forwards for D, backwards for R that my BMW i3 had. I never went the wrong way with that. After nearly 11 months with the MG4 I still sometimes select D when I want R as I don't find turning as intuitive. Might just be my brain!
My first EV was a Zoe, which had backwards for D & forwards for R.
Imagine the first few days with that after 25 years of manual cars!

one thing I would say about the 4 is the position of the gear selector attracts scratches badly.
Almost flat on a piano black surface, to be used by people wearing rings….bad design.

There are a protectors that you can buy off Ali Express. Although mostly in that horrible fake carbon fibre colour.

But another of the benefits of buying a Chinese car they use in China. I expect I’ll go a bit nuts with seat covers and boot mats and bin organisers etc when i get mine.

A bit of the issue is that the setup is obviously more leaning towards the LHD version, rotary dial is closer and turning the opposite directions
Which is a little weird as it seems to me the MG4 design is intended to appeal to the UK market.

But I guess the Chinese market will always be bigger.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back