Why can I not answer text messages/WhatsApp messages with voice like I could in my old car? 🤔

Cloggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
when I receive a text/WhatsApp & CarPlay reads it out for me, why can I not reply; it is almost as though the microphone is switched off?

When CarPlay says “Would you like to reply” and I say “Yes!” Nothing happens 🤷🏻‍♂️ Very frustrating 🤦🏻‍♂️

Anyone come across this issue & know a fix please?

Interesting - I've found this as well - Just another minor tweak in the s/w needed ah well ok .. Cool
Hey Uber, is yours Black or GunGrey ? Cheers

For any iPhone users with the problem detailed in OP, inability to dictate texts. I found that I could dictate texts when stationary but not while on the move. I tried new cable and deleting the MG from Car Play on my iPhone, complete reinstall of the phone, no difference.

I then happened to have my wife in the car and asked her to plug her phone in while I was driving. Dictated a text and it worked immediately. She then plugged my phone back in which was not working moments earlier and hey presto I can dictate text while driving. This was 2 weeks ago and it is still working.

I have no idea why this worked but it did. I also still have the Hey MG activated, though I never use it as it is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

If you cannot dictate texts on iPhone Car Play, try connecting a different iPhone like I did and see if it works for you also.

My iPhone connects and does this wirelessly.
I just say ‘hey siri’ and it does it all via the car.
Text and WhatsApp

My iPhone connects and does this wirelessly.
I just say ‘hey siri’ and it does it all via the car.
Text and WhatsApp
We are talking in relation to Car Play

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums