Will the MG ZS EV 12v battery discharge if the car is parked for long periods?

With petrol if you lay a car up for a period of time, 6 months or so fill the tank as air accelerates the degradation of the fuel.

Mine certainly don't 'rust away'.....they are dry and cosseted...:) and only go out on dry days.
Mine too Chris.

Always on a trickle charge, started up regularly and polished, and taken out and run around a bit a couple of times a year maybe for service/mot. Although the Mini's are used for the "Italian job" charity run to Italy (check it out on Google) once a year and the MINI GP's are just gaining value.

But that don't actually answer the original question.

I would say more than 3-4 days although, as with most things, there is no black and white answer. The possible additional degradation is debatable and likely to be affected by many other factors too. Equally, I wouldn't get overly worried if you can't for any reason but best minimise degradation by getting into good habits where there is little or no downside. Generally recommended to keep charge between 20 and 80% unless you need maximum range for specific trips. Hence choose a vehicle with sufficient range at 80% to cover most of your regular trips.
Where is this info from? If it is advisable to keep the battery between 20-80% why is an equalisation charge (which only happens after the battery is 100% charged) required to maximise battery life?

I had problems several times, after only a week of not being used "HV Battery Disconnected" which is caused by the 12v battery being too low. I complained to my dealer and eventually to MG. The first week of lockdown the car failed again, I charged the battery all morning but it still would not start. I was so fed up I called the AA.
After arranging a home visit, I received a call back from the AA Technical Dept and the guy gave me a cure :-
Lock and unlock the car with the KEY FOB.
Push the brake pedal as normal but at the same time apply half throttle
Now press the start button and it will be fine
This has worked everytime
Redpiratepete
If this is true why does the battery need an equalisation charge (which only happens after a full slow charge) required regularly to maximise battery life?

If this is true why does the battery need an equalisation charge (which only happens after a full slow charge) required regularly to maximise battery life?
That's so that the various cells with their various slightly different capacities can work best as a team. Equalisation is the solution to a different problem than battery life.

Yes, it's ironic that doing this often will reduce battery life. That's why it's recommended that we equalise about once a month.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom