Wind noise ZS EV 2022- Driver's side window @60 MPH +

Dominic

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi All,

I bought a new MG ZS EV Long range delivered in September this year. Since we got the car the driver's side window makes a terrible wind noise when you get past 60 MPH. I took it to the local MG garage Stoneacre in Derby and they said the seal was defective so replaced the seal on the door.

Great sounded good dropped the car off and picked it back up same day. As soon as i got to 60 MPH same noise. If you put your fingers in the seal the noise goes away so its definitely to do with the window / door seal. I rang back up and booked it back in but the dealership basically said there is nothing or us to fix and that they had taken out a brand new one and it had the same noise, there is nothing they can do to fix it.

We have an MG HS and there is no such problem there so i am a bit at a dead end of what to do next. He said the only thing i can do is to tell MG direct and gave me a helpline. I also asked if anyone else had complained of this issue which he said "no sir". I find this very hard to believe if they are saying that all new MG ZS EV's will have this wind noise.

Anyone have any ideas - i honestly can't believe they would design a car to howl like a gale when you get past 60 mph in the drivers side window, most of my mileage is motorway commute so its bothering to say the least. Yes turn the radio up helps but one of those niggling things you can still hear it!!

We have had our ZS LR for two weeks and have a wind/whistling noise coming from the front passenger window… it starts at around 40mph and is only noticeable from the passenger seat. Haven’t had a chance to speak to the dealer yet but door seal looks slightly deformed/flat around the area the noise is coming from so hopefully a replacement seal will fix it.

You could always pull the door seal off and turn it round to put the flat part in another place.

Update on mine - they put some seal tape underneath the door seal and now it’s fixed.
Hi Dominic

Would it be possible to take a quick pic of what they did (where they put the seal tape?) I have similar wind noise feature :unsure:

I have no wind noise from my ZS LR it's exceptionally quiet.
Yet my previous MG5 did suffer badly.
Sounds ( 😀) like a quality control issue at build stage.
Very annoying if affected with it.

We have had our ZS LR for two weeks and have a wind/whistling noise coming from the front passenger window… it starts at around 40mph and is only noticeable from the passenger seat. Haven’t had a chance to speak to the dealer yet but door seal looks slightly deformed/flat around the area the noise is coming from so hopefully a replacement seal will fix it.
Have the same problem on both the driver and passenger window seals.
Under 40mph its silent, but on motorways I have to drive with my finger in the window.
Haven't taken it back to the dealers yet as I only drive it on motorways once a week.

I have the same problem only on the driver's side. This is so annoying. My MG agent says he needs the car 2 to 3 days to find the cause. However, it is not yet clear who will pay for this.
@Dominic Therefore, some photos of the successful repair would be very helpful.

I've also had this problem recently. Ran my fingers around the seal and this seems to have improved it. I think the frosty weather may have caused the problem with the glass sticking to the seal when trying to open the window and thereby distorting the seal.

Sounds like the door needs adjusting to fit tighter. When I had a mini I put a block of wood between the door and the bottom seal and pushed the window frame towards the car and it was then as quite as a mouse.

Sounds like the door needs adjusting to fit tighter. When I had a mini I put a block of wood between the door and the bottom seal and pushed the window frame towards the car and it was then as quite as a mouse.
It’s the window seal, not the door seal. Mine is drivers side.

Sorry wrong end of the stick or should I say window. Still might help someone with a classic mini🤭

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom