Window door rubbers and outside condensation

Tom Hartley

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I did a school run.
The side windows were covered in condensation on the outside, the sun was out and a delivery lorry was partially blocking my view as I tried to exit a communal drive on to a main road.
Thinking that winding the windows down would help, not with the lorry but at least the condensation I was disappointed to find the door rubbers failed to touch 60% of the condensation as they came down.
Is it just my car or have others experienced this matter?
Our other car is getting on but its door window rubbers still remove outside condensation as they are lowered.

There’s not much to go wrong - is the rubber strip clipped in properly on the top of the door and touching the glass?

The ZS is the only car I've had in the last 12 years that clears the dew or condensation off the outside of the windows as you wind them down.

The window rubber strips are in place but the condensation on the outside does not clear when the windows are lowered and raised, it is particularly troublesome when the nearside rear view mirror is obscured. Is it just my car (which has now completed 700 miles)?

Attachments

• MG Conden 1.jpeg
    MG Conden 1.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 129
  • MG Conden 4.jpeg
    MG Conden 4.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 148
Dont think i've ever had a car that winding down then up clears the whole side window .i dont think the ZS has faulty seals .

I think that its a bit hit and miss - but nothing to worry about. I’ve had cars that do and cars that dont.

My rear door dropglass windows don’t do it - I tried them this morning 🙂

Thank you for your contributions, my previous cars (BMW, AUDI and VW over the last 10 years) have all cleared condensation bar one and that was attributed to a failed window rubber hence my question. I realise the MG has some build limitations but wanted to get the measure of things before questioning the dealer.

Hi Tom,
Did you ever come to the bottom of the faulty seals not wiping the condensation inside and the draindroplets outside? We have MG3 with the same problem... When it is raining I used to pul my windows down and up to wipe the rain outside as well as the steamy windows inside on my old bmw. On our new MG3 the seal is not cleaning the window glass , the outside rubber seal and inside seal are nearly touching the glass. As a results the windows are steamy and views outside are very limited and not clear (blurred). The front glass is fine because of the external wipers and aircon blowing air straight to the glass. But the side windows (doors) are really mucky. It is not safe to drive this car particularly at night. My husband went to the garage/dealership where he bought it but the mechanics told him this is a new design. Surely this cannot be right as it is not safe to drive if I cannot see outside well (nor the side mirror) Do you have the same experience or any idea how to go about this. We live in the UK and it rains all the time, surely this is a design fault. Cheers

Here are the photos

Attachments

• 20221229_111222.jpg
    20221229_111222.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230102_164335.jpg
    20230102_164335.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230102_165725.jpg
    20230102_165725.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 78
Hi, thank you for you post.
I am sorry to say I gave up and accepted that whilst our MGZSEV Exclusive is nice to drive, its limitations might be a reflection of its price.
I replaced our other car with one that had a slightly higher price but came with little or no issues. Good luck with your MG.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom