• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Window Tinting MG5

I have had my windows tinted (see pics), all windows behind the front driver and front passengers windows are dark, I had this done at the dealer prior to collection, this was £250.

Two weeks later I decided I wanted more windows tinting, I looked for a local tinting business and they came to me, I had the front side windows done, they are lightly tinted allowing 70% of light transfer. I also had a sun strip fitted at the top of the windscreen £130.

It might be more cost effective to look for a tinting business near you rather than the dealer.

There are many reasons for tinting, I wanted glare reduction, UV protection and something to help keep the cabin cooler in summer, some tinting films also provide heat rejection.

As you can see from the outside its dark but inside visibility is really good.

Always check that your tints are legal, I was issued with a warranty card with details of the tint film used.

Hope this helps
I had mine done by the dealer I bought it from who quoted me £200 but then forgot to recharge me! Worth mentioning though its classed as a modification that you have to declare for insurance and it increased my bill by £9! Not much (begrudge paying extra though) but better than giving your insurance company a loop hole for not paying out in future

£270 for Global Tint do all of the windows, 70% legal tint on the fronts and well I'm from Essex, limo tint for the rest.

Yes it needs a clean, but the tint's really work nicely with the colour and chrome.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-16 132116.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-03-16 132116.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 278
Hi all I’m new to this forum and it looks great, I’m looking at Global Tint also and wondered if any one had a referral code for these guys?
p.s. any thoughts on disguising the black strip below the number plate, I was thinking PlastiKote?

Hi all I’m new to this forum and it looks great, I’m looking at Global Tint also and wondered if any one had a referral code for these guys?
p.s. any thoughts on disguising the black strip below the number plate, I was thinking PlastiKote?
Use code FB20 to get £20 off quote on Global Tints.

What level of tint did you go for Glare and heat
Global tint carry 3 levels. The lightest (twilight) allows the legal level through on completly clear glass, as found on mgs and doesn't appear tinted at all. The mid tint (luna) looks tinted and is likely to be most peoples choice for the rear, you can still see through it and it doesn't darken the inside of the car too much. The next level is the darkest (onyx) and is what I've always known as limo tint, Its pretty dark and not to everyone's taste, it will make it fairly dark to see out of the rear windows in low light.

On my ZS EV I had the twilight on the rears and a legal limit on the front sides, they were different, but found the twilight to be a bit too subtle, although still effective.
On the 5 I have the middle tint Luna and find it is just about right tint wise for me, can barely see in and view out is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live in a rural area, they may not cover that area.
I rang them for a quote and they would not travel to our location, it was about a 30 miles drive for their closest installer.

Global tint did mine today, started about 14:00 finished about 16:45.
All done with Luna tint apart from front doors, these had the legal requirement of 70%.
Charged £270.

Looks pretty good!

IMG-20220630-WA0000.jpeg

Your black tints are a great contrast to the white paint work of the car !.
( P.S. - Check if your insurance has an interest. I informed my insurance and it shown on the modifications page of my policy, no increase in premium O.B.T.W. ).
I just have the windows done from the "B" pillar back, it looks great against the Dynamic red paintwork.
can I ask a somewhat silly Q...does the tinting on the rear window affect the radio signal as the antenna is across the 3 bottom window strips ?

It doesn't appear to have affected the signal.
For information, with Admiral insurance to make changes on line it's automated and you just have to select the most appropriate modification.
It cost me an extra £5.63 for the modification, and another £9.50 admin fee!!!!!!!
Even more if you telephone them!!

It doesn't appear to have affected the signal.
For information, with Admiral insurance to make changes on line it's automated and you just have to select the most appropriate modification.
It cost me an extra £5.63 for the modification, and another £9.50 admin fee!!!!!!!
Even more if you telephone them!!
I'm with Direct Line and I called them and there will be no added charge :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom