• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Windscreen Misting - Mop Solution

Mack1410

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Bought one of these from Lidl less than £3, works a treat to quickly clear /clean inside windscreen.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1673887951084.jpg
    FB_IMG_1673887951084.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 135
I am on my 2nd MG and I also own an 38kw Ioniq, it has a built in Auto Demist Function (ADS) to keep windows clear. It seems many new cars have this problem, a quick google brought Skoda Citigo and the Ford Focus so there are others. The ADS system on the Ioniq blows cold air into the cabin people on the Ioniq forum are complaining about it. They don't like the cold air the system pushes into the cabin to clear the misting up problem here are some posts.

Window fogging up problem Hi fellow Ioniq Owners,
Winter is here and once again we all have to deal with our window fogging up quite significantly. I have owned 3 other cars but never had window fogging up like the Ioniq.
How do you deal with window fogging up in your Ioniq? Do you use any product like Rain-X antifog or anything like that? Does it help?

Window fogging up problem

Auto defog annoying Is there any way to turn off the auto defogger? It’ll be cold and I’ll keep trying to put the front and leg heaters on and the car switches to auto Defog. Then if I try to switch it back to hands and feet right away, it goes back to auto defog for a few minutes. ''Auto defog annoying

Condensation problems 'Anyone got a good way of stopping condensation on inner car windows. I find my new car very bad for condensation on inside windows when cold and it take a age to clear with fans on full. Anyone got any tips on how to reduce build up.
Have you found this to be a problematic on these models.' Condensation

So perhaps using the ventilation system or even opening a window on the MG is something we have to accept. I make sure recirc is OFF and if I notice any misting, I turn the AC on or open windows, hope this helps.

I've bought the exact same one for the exact same reason! Sick of my windscreen and side windows fogging up when I dare to breath out!
After owning a Gen1 ZS EV for over two years and 20,000 miles, now a Gen 2 model for almost 10 months and 8,500 miles, I have not had a huge issue with the car misting up TBH ???.
Of course if you enter the car with damp coats / clothes this will cause misting very quickly.
Only today, I called into a new local garage that has recently opened and was offering five jet washing bays at a cut price offer.
When I finished and entered the car, the car started misting up on the side windows almost instantly due to water vapour on my clothes.
Straight away turned on the HVAC that was set too 23 degrees and fan speed number six and importantly, turned OFF the recirc mode !.
After only waiting a few minutes to leave the busy garage, the mist on the glass had gone !.
And I have never found it necessary to carry any micro fibres or moisture absorbing bags in the car.
One to watch out for on both Gen 1 & Gen 2 is that sometimes when you turn off the HVAC it can default back to default recirc mode.
Easier to spot on the Gen 1 because the recirc button is displayed in a orange colour.
On the Gen 2 however, the recirc indicator symbol is located in the bottom righthand corner of the info screen.
There are three choices of settings.
1) Totally Automatic - Auto shown in the display.
2) Recirc ON - Shown when the air flow arrow symbol, is curling completely back around on itself .
3) Recirc OFF - Shown when the air flow arrow path, can be seen drawing air from the outside.

Recirc mode WILL warm the cabin more quickly, as it is pulling the same air through the cabin heater in looping sequence.
But as soon as misting starts to commence, switch the recirc mode OFF !.
I found that the HVAC system on the Gen 1 works fine but as it is a basic manual system, it does need a bit more intervention from the driver.
But once you find your favourite setting, you are sorted.
The Gen 2 has a updated climate control system, but which is better ????.
Personally, I don't find not a massive difference between the two systems to be totally honestly.

Hi, I've had my ZS EV since April 2020 & always had this issue. Finally, only in last 5 months!, cottoned on to manual settings:- demist on, heat setting at 1 (segment) + fan at lowest setting. Works perfectly. I agree it's a problem not just with MG, I've noticed it with other modern cars.

I have applied rainx recently. Ran the demist with full heat throughout application. Applied three thick coats with blower still active then buffed with a clean micro cloth. It’s not irradiated the problem but it’s about 90% better. For a few quid may be worth a try for everyone.

Hi, I've had my ZS EV since April 2020 & always had this issue. Finally, only in last 5 months!, cottoned on to manual settings:- demist on, heat setting at 1 (segment) + fan at lowest setting. Works perfectly. I agree it's a problem not just with MG, I've noticed it with other modern cars.

That's exactly the settings I use. I usually warm the car up and set off, and as soon as I notice any misting set the controls as you say - no more problem!

After owning a Gen1 ZS EV for over two years and 20,000 miles, now a Gen 2 model for almost 10 months and 8,500 miles, I have not had a huge issue with the car misting up TBH ???.
Of course if you enter the car with damp coats / clothes this will cause misting very quickly.
Only today, I called into a new local garage that has recently opened and was offering five jet washing bays at a cut price offer.
When I finished and entered the car, the car started misting up on the side windows almost instantly due to water vapour on my clothes.
Straight away turned on the HVAC that was set too 23 degrees and fan speed number six and importantly, turned OFF the recirc mode !.
After only waiting a few minutes to leave the busy garage, the mist on the glass had gone !.
And I have never found it necessary to carry any micro fibres or moisture absorbing bags in the car.
One to watch out for on both Gen 1 & Gen 2 is that sometimes when you turn off the HVAC it can default back to default recirc mode.
Easier to spot on the Gen 1 because the recirc button is displayed in a orange colour.
On the Gen 2 however, the recirc indicator symbol is located in the bottom righthand corner of the info screen.
There are three choices of settings.
1) Totally Automatic - Auto shown in the display.
2) Recirc ON - Shown when the air flow arrow symbol, is curling completely back around on itself .
3) Recirc OFF - Shown when the air flow arrow path, can be seen drawing air from the outside.

Recirc mode WILL warm the cabin more quickly, as it is pulling the same air through the cabin heater in looping sequence.
But as soon as misting starts to commence, switch the recirc mode OFF !.
I found that the HVAC system on the Gen 1 works fine but as it is a basic manual system, it does need a bit more intervention from the driver.
But once you find your favourite setting, you are sorted.
The Gen 2 has a updated climate control system, but which is better ????.
Personally, I don't find not a massive difference between the two systems to be totally honestly.
I discovered this after about 2 weeks of owning the car (only have it 3 weeks now :) ) Was on a long journey, on the way down car kept misting up after about 10 minutes so kept turning air on in ECO mode to demist the windows. On the way back I noticed that the re-circulation was on AUTO when air was switched off, but you can still change this with air still switched off. Switched re-circulation to OFF (straight flow through) and problem was gone, no misting up windows.

I discovered this after about 2 weeks of owning the car (only have it 3 weeks now :) ) Was on a long journey, on the way down car kept misting up after about 10 minutes so kept turning air on in ECO mode to demist the windows. On the way back I noticed that the re-circulation was on AUTO when air was switched off, but you can still change this with air still switched off. Switched re-circulation to OFF (straight flow through) and problem was gone, no misting up windows.
I never use Eco mode myself, I can achieve similar results by leaving the car in the default mode of normal and regen level 3.
I found this selection to be better in our ZS EV Gen 1 version over two years and 20,000 miles we covered and have carried this practice over to our ZS EV LR Gen 2 model.
Just keep an eye on what is happening with the HVAC / Climate control system when you make manual changes on the move.
When making changes to the settings, the system CAN drop you back into either auto / recirc mode conditions.
The recirc mode ON will cause misting / fogging of the glass very quickly.
However, recirc mode ON can be useful to heat up the cabin quickly, but you have to be ready to cancel it switch it over, if the windows starts to fog over quicky !.
Switching the recirc function to OFF will open a HVAC flap in the unit that will indicate a free flow of outside air passing throw he HVAC system.
This free flow path will help prevent fogging of the internal glass.
There are three settings you can choose from.
Recirc ON ( which closes off any external air flaps from allowing air to enter via the HVAC system )
Recirc OFF ( which will open up that flap, that will allow external air to flow, via the HVAC unit and therefore into the cabin area ) .
Then there is the auto function, which is selected via the preheat mode from your App.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom