Windscreen module (rain sensor gubbins etc). Has anyone removed its cover?

Fluffykins

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
The cover over the unit on the inside of the windscreen, behind the mirror. Has anyone removed it to investigate what's inside? How easy and are there any pitfalls?

Any particular reason why you want to remove it ?
(Curiosity killed the cat ;) )

Curiousity mostly but I was wondering if there is an ignition switched 12V (or even 5V) available there I could tap into for a dashcam.
There will be a 12v going to the interior light, not sure about a 5v but there could be, to feed any electronics that are behind there.

Hi
Iโ€™ve been wondering how to remove that shroud too but for a different reason
I want to disconnect the auto dip rear mirror as I donโ€™t need that function because of the tinted rear windows
๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Hi
I want to disconnect the auto dip rear mirror as I donโ€™t need that function because of the tinted rear windows
Does it still dip itself despite not needing to? I plan on tints as soon as mine arrives and can imagine that getting very annoying very quickly. I assumed it sensed light levels reaching the mirror.

Hi
Can you not just press the button on mirror to switch off the auto dip?

Just thinking of maybe disconnecting to save switching it off all the time at night
Yes a couple of times it has dipped
Not really bothered about a rear view mirror as Iโ€™m used to driving a van or car with headrests up and dog guard in place so either none or very little can be seen through rear window

Can you not just press the button on mirror to switch off the auto dip?
Agree that's what the button is for, turns off the green 'on' light. (At least that's what my previous auto dipping mirrors have done).

I have managed it - couple of reasons - one is OCD - I wanted to thread the three wires for my dash cam (power, rear camera connector and GPS module) - through the gap for the mirror rather than sticking out through the headliner. 2nd - to secure the mount with car grips to the shroud cover, as in the summer heat the sticky pads that come with the camera mount tend to fail. Anyway, unlike my Toyota - where the shroud cover can be pushed down the widescreen and is secured my two plastic lugs which click reassuringly when released - allowing the two parts of the shroud to be plied apart and removed from around the rear view mirror. The MG4 is much less forgiving. It too has two parts (notice the seam). However the larger piece is held by 4 metal lugs and the smaller piece by 2 more - one of which broke when I removed mine, Unlike the Toyota - the whole assembly has be be pulled down from the windscreen (no sliding or twisting as in some other models of car) - and is surprising well attached - it is not something for the faint hearted, taking quite some force (as mentioned one of the lugs stayed in place and broke (glue reattached it without a problem). However, once pried down - the two parts come apart easily enough. Underneath, the window sensors are also surprising robust (compared to the plastic components on my Toyota) - there is just one module housed in a cast metal case with heat dispenser fins, which is firmly fixed to a mounting plate (to which the shroud also attaches too). Nothing is attached to the shroud itself which comes away cleanly. Once mission accomplished - both parts simply clip together again (around the rear view mirror) and with gentle persuasion clip back into placeโ€ฆ my OCD fully satisfied.

Sorry no - but these covers are designed to be removed - I have done this on most of the cars I have owned - for one reason or another. As mentioned, MG4 seems to be more sturdy than most I have had to deal with and I could imagine that the 5 would be similar - but with a little trial and gentle nudging - I have never not been successful in figuring them out.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom