Windscreen washer bottle

Abaker Mk2

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I've not needed to fill the washer fluid yet, is there a indicator on the dash when the fluid needs filling or will it just run out?

The indicator is the buzzing sound you hear when you operate the washer and no water appears on the screen ;)
I usually check the level once every couple of weeks but I've no need to this week as I've used none, the jets are frozen up. :rolleyes:

Any recommendations as to what to top up the washer bottles with in this cold weather? Mine has not frozen up yet.🤞🤞🤞🤞

There is NO visual or audio low level warning when the windscreen washer bottle is empty on the ZS EV models.
I wanted to clear my windscreen a few days ago, on the move when it was -5 degrees outside.
The jets gave a solid blast, then a weaker sputter.
STOP using your washers at this point straight away, or if you keep pulling on that stork you will very quickly burn out the washer motor and it will not be covered by warranty either !.
The washer bottle tank is pretty large, it must hold close to 7 Litres as it supply's water for the rear washer jet as well.
Mine was completely empty of course, but I have to admit I have not topped it up in a while.

Any recommendations as to what to top up the washer bottles with in this cold weather? Mine has not frozen up yet.🤞🤞🤞🤞
Why not just pick up a screenwash with a lower temperature limit that'll suit your need? I use Prestone when it's in stock, or pick up a concentrate from Halfraud's and mix it as desired.

Canplan ready mixed frozen solid tried rear washers and it blew connector apart under the bonnet very hard to reconnect no hand access beware.

Canplan ready mixed frozen solid tried rear washers and it blew connector apart under the bonnet very hard to reconnect no hand access beware.
That is why I don’t use ready mixed stuff.
Convenient to use, but that’s it !.
Go for the stuff you mix yourself 👍 and following the instructs on the back.

I have been buying Asda 5 litre Concentrated for years , if you catch it when it’s on special it’s £2.
cheaper than most ready to use mixed.
Must admit in the extreme cold weather I use it neat , guaranteed not to freeze and get caught short.

The washer jets will still freeze up in very low temperatures. The actual fluid in the washer reservoir might be ok but the actual jets will freeze Even with a high concentration.

Somewhat overkill
Ok when they say -70 that's a in it's concentrated form so if you add it to your existing screen wash it ups the freeze point
If you read a lot of them winter freeze point quoted on the bottle is only achievable if you use neat so a winter -15 concentrated screen wash is only good for say -6 50\50 mix

Ok when they say -70 that's a in it's concentrated form so if you add it to your existing screen wash it ups the freeze point
If you read a lot of them winter freeze point quoted on the bottle is only achievable if you use neat so a winter -15 concentrated screen wash is only good for say -6 50\50 mix
I presume you mean lowers the freeze point.

As an aside I read that a concentration of more than 33% meths with water makes the mixture flammable ! 😬 and at 33% it won't freeze until -22 deg C

Why not just pick up a screenwash with a lower temperature limit that'll suit your need? I use Prestone when it's in stock, or pick up a concentrate from Halfraud's and mix it as desired.
I know this was posted last year, but I just wanted to add that I agree with Nut².

Prestone concentrate is good stuff and you can mix it to whatever conc you need.

We've just run out and I ordered a bottle for delivery tomorrow. £4.50 for 2.5l from some company that does everything from A-Z.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom