Windscreen washer empty warning

I've seen -18 with my own eyes, a week or so before Christmas at four in the afternoon. There have certainly been reports of -20. A friend has a max/min thermometer in his garden but I never asked him how low he'd seen it go.

I used to live on the West coast and I remember seeing a low of -19 over the 1995 Christmas holiday. The though stuck in my mind that it was a degree warmer in my freezer than my back garden!

I think it is 4ltr because I just googled the watering can I have and that is 4.5ltr and the car was full before it was nearly empty.
I had the same problem with the lack of warning and ran out of washer fluid. When I filled it I thought it took about 2.5L to fill it up. When I noticed RayReliable's message I checked the owner's manual and in the recommended fluids and capacities page of the maintenance section it mentions that it is 2.5L. Bit of a bummer really when you look at other cars e.g. the ZS has a capacity of 4L. This just means more trips to check and top up the fluid for us MG4 owners ā˜¹ļø

One of the extras I coughed up for when I ordered my Golf in 2009 was the "winter pack" which included heated seats and a larger washer fluid reservoir. I think the standard was 3 litres and the winter pack gave you 5 litres. On paper anyway.

Sometimes I didn't even need to top up between services. However.

The reservoir for the washer fluid in the Golf was apparently in the front bumper. I'd go out in winter and find the fluid frozen solid, and unlike in every other car I've ever driven, rather than getting a dribble from time to time as the engine heat thawed the fluid, it would stay frozen solid until spring. The position of the reservoir ensured that. Then someone told me about VW's own-brand washer fluid that's supposed to be good to -70. I don't know about -70, but it never froze with me. It wasn't cheap but good grief it was worth it.

Given that there is no engine heat anywhere to thaw out the fluid in an EV, I suspect I better invest in some more of that stuff for winter.

Has anyone checked what the volume of the washer fluid reservoir is in the MG4? You'd think with all that spare space under the bonnet they could afford something reasonably capacious.

I remember having a fiat 127 where the washer bottle froze solid . I seem to remember that it actually split one year .

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back