Windscreen Washer fluid for MG5

Just checked on my bottle of screenwash, now only about 20% left of 5 litres😟 The price label says £1.99 which was quite expensive when I bought it over 20 years ago! Of course, this was the concentrate, and 10-20% mix is fine. The current trend of selling Ready Mixed solution is a huge rip-off IMHO, but I believe you can still buy the concentrate at motor factors.

Upvote 0
Yep
I’ve always used Asda screen wash
50/50 concentration in summer/winter in my old ice cars
Let’s see how it holds up in the winter in an ev
I did see on a EV forum or YouTube video when I was doing my research into EV’s
that screen wash may freeze easier in an ev as it doesn’t have the heat from an ice engine to heat it up and thaw it out
BUT it said to add some de-icer in with the screen wash it would help to stop it freezing
It didn’t say how much to add or how well it worked maybe worth a try who knows
Cheers
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
The screen wash itself is a de-icer/anti-freeze. If it's freezing up then use a more concentrated mix. 50/50 shouldn't freeze up here in the UK.
Back in the 70s, before this automatic wipe malarkey that goes off when you press the wash button, I used 50% methylated spirits with 50% water which would melt frost on the screen. You could spray it on to the screen, leave it a few seconds and let it run down and melt the frost on the wiper blades before operating the wipers, saving wear on the blades.

Upvote 0
When it rains, before starting my screen looks white from the outside. Windscreen wipers judder when first activated. Couple of squirts from windscreen washers gets windscreen wipers moving normally. I haven’t replaced screen wash yet so does anybody know what the car is supplied with, as clearly it avoid wiper juddering and provides a very clear screen.

Upvote 0
The cheap stuff will often not include a biocide so you can get biological growth in the tank that blocks the suction strainer on the pump and this invariably leads to the pump failing. It's a bigger issue in the Summer because of higher ambient temperature and lower throughput but it can happen at any time.
Had this happen on my other car and I had to remove the tank to flush it out as well as replace the pump.
This is what was in the tank:

View attachment 6047
A couple of Steradent tablets, left to fizz and then flush thoroughly will do the job (y)

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom