Windscreen Wipers

GeoffJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I bought a new MG5 in June 2021.
Normally when I hand wash my cars I lift the wiper arms off the screen, so that I can wash and dry the whole windscreen. When I tried to do this, I realised that the wiper arms foul the edge of the bonnet closest to the windscreen with the risk that the paint on the bonnet could of scratched. Has anyone else experienced this, and any suggestions how to avoid damage (other than not lifting the wipers)?

Normally when I hand wash my cars I lift the wiper arms off the screen, so that I can wash and dry the whole windscreen. When I tried to do this, I realised that the wiper arms foul the edge of the bonnet closest to the windscreen with the risk that the paint on the bonnet could of scratched. Has anyone else experienced this, and any suggestions how to avoid damage (other than not lifting the wipers)?
There is a park mode to allow you to lift them up.

Attachments

• CB67ED6B-C4B1-4144-9BF9-DC242C365222.png
    CB67ED6B-C4B1-4144-9BF9-DC242C365222.png
    924.2 KB · Views: 270
Upvote 0
This question has been answered before. A tip would be to use the search function on top right corner of the screen. If you are lucky you might find somebody else before you already found a solution to the problem you faced.

Upvote 0
Using the search function is all very well if you know what to search for. Out of curiosity I have just tried to find the previous thread that contains the answer to this question, with only partial success. I have tried various search terms, such as "wiper parking", and.... there are indeed several threads that partly include the answer, but, as far as I can see, they are in the ZS and HS forums, not this one. When push comes to shove it is easier and quicker to ask the question again, in the hope of getting a concise response quickly.

I do, though , agree with the idea of reading the manual.......🙂

Upvote 0
Using the search function is all very well if you know what to search for. Out of curiosity I have just tried to find the previous thread that contains the answer to this question, with only partial success. I have tried various search terms, such as "wiper parking", and.... there are indeed several threads that partly include the answer, but, as far as I can see, they are in the ZS and HS forums, not this one. When push comes to shove it is easier and quicker to ask the question again, in the hope of getting a concise response quickly.

I do, though , agree with the idea of reading the manual.......🙂
This sort of reply (suggestion of search button) is, unfortunately common across many forums. I do wonder whether it's just trying to be helpful or plain patronising.

I agree that searching is helpful but even for the simplest thing can return so many useless results that it is easier to just ask, which is the point of the forum in the first place.

At least its not a "giyf" response.

Upvote 0
This sort of reply (suggestion of search button) is, unfortunately common across many forums. I do wonder whether it's just trying to be helpful or plain patronising.
It is not only helpful, but a reminder that use of the search function is encouraged in the terms and rules we all signed up to:

When submitting Content​

Search for existing answers in the forums before posting a new question. You may find an answer much more quickly if you use the search facility.

If anyone has difficulty using the search function it's perfectly OK to seek guidance from others because most of us appreciate that formulating the ideal search term is not always intuitive.

Upvote 0
The problem with people raising a new query where the answer already exists and is documented is that the forum gets clogged with duplicate material and soon becomes less appealing to the longer serving members. Also an ongoing thread may well have different solutions and/or interesting discussion on the topic.

And of course no-one wants to keep writing out the same solution multiple times when a forum search would often have thrown up the answer, usually with not that much effort.

Upvote 0
The problem with people raising a new query where the answer already exists and is documented is that the forum gets clogged with duplicate material and soon becomes less appealing to the longer serving members. Also an ongoing thread may well have different solutions and/or interesting discussion on the topic.

And of course no-one wants to keep writing out the same solution multiple times when a forum search would often have thrown up the answer, usually with not that much effort.
I agree with much of this, but not the "with not that much effort" final remark. In my opinion, the search facility is not intuitive enough to enable efficient searches that get to the solution quickly. Knowing precisely how to word a search is not always obvious, as "Alb" points out, with the result that you don't find what you are looking for. This is a recipe for frustration and would perhaps discourage some people.

In the case that the solution exists elsewhere, perhaps a kind member may be able to post a link to it, which would help not only the person who raised the (duplicate) question, but would also be a reminder to others who come to it later.

Just my opinion.....

Upvote 0
Knowing precisely how to word a search is not always obvious, as "Alb" points out
So true. There's usually pages of search results, most of which can be disregarded. What does annoy me however is when i'm looking at the "what's new" page, i see a very active thread discussing something, then a new thread right next this one asking something that been discussed in explicit detail is the other one.

Upvote 0
As this has gone wayyyy off topic 🤣

I don't mind signposting people to other threads but my current pet hate is reading an MG5 thread and then someone comes along and gives information relating to the ZS, probably without realising as they've picked up the thread from the what's new page. Perhaps there is a way to make it more obvious?

Upvote 0
In the case that the solution exists elsewhere, perhaps a kind member may be able to post a link to it
I'm not trying to be unhelpful (or argumentative!) but to do that I'd have to do search to find the link... :) It most definitely isn't being patronising to recommend a search, as someone above suggested

I suppose I agree that the searches can be hard to word properly but I can usually pick up relevant threads fairly quickly. For me, the trick is often to include as few words as possible but try to make them all count. When you see the first set of answers you can often then refine your search.

There are some tricks with searches which many may not know. The second and third are quite commonly available in many searches, including Google. There are more but IMO these are the "essentials"
  1. If you start with one word you can refine it once you see the results e.g. recall brings a long list, then if you want just those which discuss safety recall you can add more words you might think relevant
  2. If you want a whole phrase enclose it in quotes e.g. "safety recall" to find all posts with the entire phrase. You could use "safety recall" KERS
  3. If you want to exclude a word or phrase use minus e.g. recall - "safety recall" to find all recalls except those with the phrase (or it could be just one word) safety recall
Then of course specific to this site (though available on others) you can search within a date range, by titles only or by member, or any combo thereof.

For more info, just Google it :)

Upvote 0
I agree with much of this, but not the "with not that much effort" final remark. In my opinion, the search facility is not intuitive enough to enable efficient searches that get to the solution quickly. .....

In the case that the solution exists elsewhere, perhaps a kind member may be able to post a link to it, which would help not only the person who raised the (duplicate) question, but would also be a reminder to others who come to it later.

Just my opinion.....
Not directed at you @CuriousIslander (just using your post as an example) but as a general comment, possibly on society.
Sometimes it's worth the effort, and as has already been said if another member posts the link then that means they have made the effort for you and searched for it.
Maybe it's a generational thing, us oldies are used to things taking time and maybe a little effort, whereas youth today seem to want instant gratification with no effort at all. :)

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom