Wireless CarPlay Adapter connectivity

Jacob93

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi everyone, new around here. Had my MG4 SE version delivered last month and so far I’m loving it, no problems at all. It’s my first EV and has been such an amazing EV to start off with.

My only minor annoyance was the fact you have to plug your phone in each time to get CarPlay to work, I’d have thought that in this day and age we could simply get in and go and not have to faff around with cables.

I bought a wireless car dongle from Amazon to try and combat this issue but having a few issues. Works flawlessly once connected but as soon as I lock the car and it powers off and re enter a few minutes later I get the animation start and the CarPlay doesn’t connect, I then have to unplug the usb and plug it back in and it’s connected wireless again. Which defeats the purpose.

Might be worth noting that if I get out for a split second and get back in the screen loads instantly and doesn’t do the whole animation (is there a way to turn the animation off does anyone know?) my guess is once it’s done a complete shut down it loses the ability to connect.

Just thought it would be worth posting to see if anyone knew anything else I could try before sending the thing back?

Thanks in advance!

Jacob

Some are better than others at reconnecting.

I’m trying an Ottocast at the moment and seems quicker to connect and more reliable than my Carlinkit 3.

You can also select the wireless adaptor on your phones Bluetooth menu if it doesn’t connect to force it to connect.

Some are better than others at reconnecting.

I’m trying an Ottocast at the moment and seems quicker to connect and more reliable than my Carlinkit 3.

You can also select the wireless adaptor on your phones Bluetooth menu if it doesn’t connect to force it to connect.
Thanks, when I go back into bluetooth settings it says disconnected, I click it and then it says connected for a second then instantly disconnects so not sure if it's a issue with my phone or the actual car. I'll probably return it and try a carlinkit next.

Thanks for all your help

Is your phone also connected by BT to the car? If so, remove your phone from the car device list and this may help.

Is your phone also connected by BT to the car? If so, remove your phone from the car device list and this may help.
Hi yes I had removed it and still no luck. I’ve just returned it because couldn’t figure out a solution so think I will go with the carlinkit now

I recently bought an Ottocast U2-Air form Amazon. It has the same not connecting issue after power up of the head unit. Works perfectly on initial setup, but then refuses to reconnect after initial connection. Unplug and re-plug the usb and it works again. I've updated the dongle firmware to the latest but to no avail. This is on an MG4 SE (Excite 51). Tried the same dongle on a Hyundai Santa Fe 2020 model and it works flawlessly. I have a strong suspicion that the head unit software is not reinitialising the USB ports on power up. Pretty annoying.

I recently bought an Ottocast U2-Air form Amazon. It has the same not connecting issue after power up of the head unit. Works perfectly on initial setup, but then refuses to reconnect after initial connection. Unplug and re-plug the usb and it works again. I've updated the dongle firmware to the latest but to no avail. This is on an MG4 SE (Excite 51). Tried the same dongle on a Hyundai Santa Fe 2020 model and it works flawlessly. I have a strong suspicion that the head unit software is not reinitialising the USB ports on power up. Pretty annoying.
You need to wait for the infotainment to be fully up and running for it to work. Same with wired CarPlay.

I couldn't get a Chinese one to work without plugging in but if you unlock the car manually rather than touch the handle it is ready to go. Worth a try. :)

I couldn't get a Chinese one to work without plugging in but if you unlock the car manually rather than touch the handle it is ready to go. Worth a try. :)
When you say ‘manually’ , do you mean using the key fob ? That is how I’ve always opened it with no Carplay joy to date.

If you are struggling to get it to reconnect, then press and hold the home button for the infotainment. It will reset the infotainment, and by proxy also reboot your wireless car play adapter. That should hopefully reconnect and avoid the unplug/plug back in again.

had the same issue always had to replug after 30 seconds from infotainment boot, ended up replacing with an carlinkit and setting a 30 second delay to startup and she works perfectly.

had the same issue always had to replug after 30 seconds from infotainment boot, ended up replacing with an carlinkit and setting a 30 second delay to startup and she works perfectly.
Which setting is for delay and option do you select? A screenshot would be great 👍

IMG_7526.jpeg

Just trying this from Amazon (evatmaster.com). It works but doesn’t come on automatically when the car is “ready”. You still have to press CarPlay and unplug/plug in the USB. Looks a lot better than the wire though. I’ll give it another couple of weeks.

Last edited:
None of the adapters work the way you want them to. I've had all the big name ones here.

The biggest problem for us was: to pair two different iphones automatically. Carlinkit does this, but the adapter is slow and often fails. For example, if you start in reverse. When in the city often the 360° camera goes on and off. Then the picture remains black. Ottocast and Cralinkit Mini have no problems here. Carlinkit 3, 4 and 5 2Air have massive problems here. Vehicle software R40 MG4 Luxury model year 2023.

The next problem is the automatic reconnection of the adapter to the vehicle. You park the car for a short time, take your child to school what ever, come back, the adapter no longer starts either no USB connection. Or Carplay starts, but the screen remains black. The music runs though but black screen. Very strange.
The only solution: The USB plug must be pulled out and plugged in again.
This was not an acceptable behavior for us!

The problem with Ottocast or Carlinkit Mini is that they can't manage two or more iphones. If the driver or the iPhone changes, bluetooth must be reconnected. Again, the problem arises that you have to take your smartphone out of your pocket again and set something. It sucks!

I invented the very crazy solution with the help of 2 OttoCast (they are very fast) and a switch. a push on the button starts the other adapter. One adapter for my wife's iphone, one adapter for my iphone. If a new disconnect is necessary, just press twice. This is very fast and very uncomplicated. Since this installation, we have no more problems.

riPsuBJ.jpg

d3a5kjF.jpg

gxqxMWb.jpg

Greeting from Germany and thx to deepl translate ;)

Have you deleted your phone from the car's Bluetooth? I watched a video of a chap having connection issues until he deleted his phone and just connected straight to the adapter.
I've got to say that I bought an Android Auto adapter from Amazon, picked up my car last week and haven't connected to the cars Bluetooth, just the adapter bluetooth and I have had no issues, Android Auto starts everytime.
With the adapter, I can do everything like maps, texts and calls etc without connecting direct to the car.

Amazon have the Motorola ma1 adapter on sale at £70. I got mine from USA a year ago and it works great in my 70 plate mg5. Recommended
Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Car Adapter - Instant Connection from Smartphone to Car Screen with Easy Setup - Direct Plug-in USB Adapter - Secure Gel Pad Included https://amzn.eu/d/cscVRAz

The adapters all have the same problem in the MG4. Reconnect. I didn't have one that could do it satisfactorily. And I tested 6 different ones. Some even several times and for weeks.

If you stop the car for a short time and start it again it doesn't work. If you start the car and immediately put it in reverse it does not work. (The camera in the Lux starts first and the screen stays black).

What works is a simple USB switch. On/Off with Carlinkit Mini and Ottocast.
However, only for a single smartphone.

All adapters do not identify the MG4 as an electric car. If you want to plan a stopover in CarPlay (Apple Maps), only gas stations are displayed instead of charging stations. Only a connection via cable works correctly here. Fortunately, you can manually search for charging stations on the route (with a few steps) and then display them. It works very well.

My ranking of speeds. Boot times, operation, smooth display, response & latency:

1. Ottocast
2. carlinkit mini
3. carlinkit 5 2Air
4. carlinkit 4
5. carlinkit 3
6. noname (Anyfong / Gobesty)

Have you deleted your phone from the car's Bluetooth?

Honestly I think this one sentence has saved my sanity so thank you.

I'd picked up a Carlinkit TP Plus AI 8gb after being seriously disappointed with the performance of the Techwizard Media Box and loved how much more responsive and snappy everything was, but damn the wireless Android Auto connection failed every other time I got in the car. Tried every setting under the sun but no joy. Was resigned to going back to the cable, read your post, and sure enough it's connecting every time now 😄

(btw for anyone with the same box, you can go into the factory settings menu with the code 4545 and set a startup delay to 12s ish to give the MG startup sequence time to finish before booting the box)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back