Wireless charging

Nibloprice

Established Member
Reaction score
This should make things a little easier...coming to a red traffic light near you.

This should make things a little easier...coming to a red traffic light near you.

Wonder which cars have the facility to use this infrastructure wherever it is
Not many I fear , bit like mobile phone technology for wireless charging , the exception rather than the rule
Hope my scepticism is proven wrong

I wouldn't hold your breath for wireless charging! Although technically possible it's very hard to get high power induction systems to work efficiently and requires close proximity of the coils. Still, it would be nice.......

I wouldn't hold your breath for wireless charging! Although technically possible it's very hard to get high power induction systems to work efficiently and requires close proximity of the coils. Still, it would be nice.......
Plus one on that!
Its easy enough to recharge a mobile phone wirelessly, but an EV is altogether another issue - anyway doing it quickly and efficiently would be ……

Is it me or have we all make and hear these counter-arguments before?

For example when Tesla actually started producing and selling the Model S. And just before that when smartphones where introduced. Just look at us now...

Induction charging is, compared to the 2 above, just a minor step in the way we have to go, if you ask me.

Do you how hard it is to get 2000 watts to cross an air-gap? You’re talking about a coil running at 50khz which requires quite smart coil technology plus very robust electronics. Just as important you have to get the coil that’s attached to the car to within a mm or two from the energising coil. So you will need careful positioning of the car, then a system that raises the coil to co-incide with the other. Not easy - why not just plug it in!?!

So basically, it's not only wireless, but also pointless ? :sneaky:

Not For Me GIF by Zurich Insurance Company Ltd

No it isn't pointless. Not everyone can charge @ home, but we all drive ev's before 2040. It's probably a lot more expensie to put a charger at every parkingplace. Because they brake down a lot. So it might be one of the solutions. Like Tim describes it's probably not very easy. But at least the technology exist. So like lightbulbs and electricity in every house once seemed far fedged, it's not impossible.

Another existing solution, which makes more sence if you ask me, would be swapping the empty battery for a charged one. But that requires standardization amongst cars, extra batteries and battery swapping stations. As a matter of fact, the Chinese car manufauror Nio develloped the technology, it's a big succes in China and they plan to expand it world wide.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210912-115319_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210912-115319_Chrome.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 104
It would be a lot easier to make an automatic system to put the plug in!
Also I didn't mention that of course with wireless there would be losses, eg it would not be 100%efficient. That does not apply to a plug in.
In practise, the auto plug in solves the same problems as wireless.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom