Wiring loom fault and replacement

How long is it reasonable for a vehicle to be off the road and in a dealership waiting for parts

• 2 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 months

• 6 months

• Longer

• Total voters

redbeard57

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Has anybody out there needed the wiring loom to be replaced in their EV? My ZSev has been in the dealership since 26th February, (it is now 6th May) and they tell me that the main loom needs removal and replacement.

The initial problem was that the car wouldn't start, or when it was running it would not turn off. They had it in 4 times in January/February and there were a couple of other occasions during that time that the AA Recovery had to come out and were able to do something at the roadside to fix it, but then at the end of February it wouldn't start and was recovered to the dealership with the "HV Battery fault" and hasn't moved since. MG Technical in China diagnosed it as a wiring loom fault and said that the whole loom would need to be replaced as they were unable to isolate the problem.

Last edited:
Jesus, that's a ridiculous amount of time. Without knowing the precise details, I would be insisting on a replacement vehicle. I haven't voted as each time off road will depend on the nature of the repair, but from your details that's far too long.

Last edited:
Has anybody out there needed the wiring loom to be replaced in their EV? My ZSev has been in the dealership since 26th February, (it is now 6th May) and they tell me that the main loom needs removal and replacement.
The question I have, why are they replacing the enter main wiring loom of your car ?.
That is a massive job !.
There is an MG recall on early ZS EV models, to have the drivers door wiring loom replaced and rerouted.
Only about one to two hours of work, mine has been done.

It’s not a part that will be routinely replaced so I’d give them a little more leeway in the lead time (hence selecting a month in the poll) but you’re definitely heading into unreasonable territory now!

Are you in a suitable courtesy car?

I lost the plastic surround off the radar sensor (don't know how or where) ordered one on the monday afternoon . Dealer rang me first thing wednesday to say a replacement had arrived, I thought that less than 48 hours was pretty good service.
P.S. Cost me £5!

It’s not a part that will be routinely replaced so I’d give them a little more leeway in the lead time (hence selecting a month in the poll) but you’re definitely heading into unreasonable territory now!

Are you in a suitable courtesy car?
No. They have not provided one as they know I have other vehicles.....Had they given me one I am damned sure they would have been quicker getting a fix!!

As expected, Gallaghers have failed to meet the timescale promised for the return of my vehicle, which was promised for Friday 7th. They are now telling me that the rebuild of the vehicle will not be completed until at least Tuesday 11th, with further testing required after that to ensure that everything is complete.

Never mind another few days sitting on a sheet of cardboard outside Lime Street Station with some random stray dog on a piece of string will be good foe my soul!!!
Why are they replacing the entire wiring loom !.
Because you can't just replace part of it and they cannot identify where the alleged fault is within the loom.

No. They have not provided one as they know I have other vehicles.....Had they given me one I am damned sure they would have been quicker getting a fix!!
My mg zs ev has been in garage since 6th April. Had to hire a vehicle for a week before they eventually supplied a Fiat 500. They just informed me that they think the wiring loom needs replacing due to they think a rat chewing the cable . But they haven't found the fault .
Garage has told me I have to pay 50 percent up front before they look at it but haven't told me what it's going to cost .

Please note that the Citizens Advice Bureau will give you free advice, and it is good advice, you can call them. You can still reject items as not being "fit for purpose" after one try at repairing. For normal goods that is up to 6 years. Not sure about cars, but you should contact them for that info. You may require independant assesment (but if the garage states it is requiring a new wiring loom, you can use that).
They have all the pre forma letters that you need to send (e-mail as well). Usually they will refuse right up to the last one.

My mg zs ev has been in garage since 6th April. Had to hire a vehicle for a week before they eventually supplied a Fiat 500. They just informed me that they think the wiring loom needs replacing due to they think a rat chewing the cable . But they haven't found the fault .
Garage has told me I have to pay 50 percent up front before they look at it but haven't told me what it's going to cost .

Is there physical evidence of the rat...or did they just smell one?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom