Wish List for Gen 2/Facelift MG4?

CarbonEV

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Having had multiple cars over the last 14+ years, I feel theres always room for improvement, and now I've had my MG4 XPOWER for over a week, I would definately consider buying again, and I'm sure I'll trade it in for a new one in the next 2-3 years.

What would be your top wish list items for a new/facelift version?

I understand the 4 comes in at a very good price, so these don't have to be standard but could be optional extra that you may be happy to extra for, or they could be certain imrpovements.

Here're mine:

1). Larger Screen, Curved to the Driver - I think the display is excellent as it is, however I would like it every so larger/taller, but more importantly, curved/tilted/positioned more towards the driver, so not the screen itself being curved, but the position of it. When it's dead ahead straight, I find its harder to see the nav and items. I've been used to "driver focused" dashboards from my BMWs.

2). Faster Processor in Display, OLED Tech - I find it's capable enough, but things like CarPlay and other aspects can be laggy or slow. Lastly, for efficiency and quality, an OLED screen would be fantastic as Dark Mode would save a lot of consumption. I know some cars now have OLEDs for Displays.

3). Wide Screen Drivers Display - I dont mind the driver's display, but the aspect ratio makes it look cramped. I'd like a slightly wider display, with more live consumption data.

4). Physical Climate Controls - This one might not be for everyone, however I sat in one of the larger MGs at the dealership and they had a very sleek climate control bar. I think its just far easier, safer and more convienient. Otherwise, the steering wheel is doing too much.

From what I've seen, if the CC is off and you turn it on, it always switches on A/C too when I just want heating.

5). User Profiles - Having to switch off settings and customise every single time shouldn't be a thing, so this would be a bonus.

6). Upgraded Speakers - The speakers are great, but one step up as an option would be nice for a more dynamic/clear sound.

7). Cooled & Massage Seats - Probably not going to happen due to cost, however would be nice when you're sitting inside waiting for charge!

8). Wireless CarPlay - Although I usually do plug in anyway, would be nicer for shorter journeys to have.

9). Laser Lights, Dynamic and or OLED Rear Lights - I love the lighting on the 4, and this would be an excellent upgrade

10). More Performance - The XPOWER is really quick, and getting closer to the low 3s as apposed to high 3s would make it almost unbeatable off the line

11). Battery Improvements for More Range, Faster Charging - More range, always good & I'd expect some improvements. Maybe faster charging as public chargers are 250KW.

12). Improved Camera Quality - Front & Rear could do with a Resolution upgrade.

That's what I can immediately think of!

Front fog/driving lights for those darker patches in front and to the sides. Better rear visibility,(separate 7" screen with permanent rear camera) and reversing light upgrade. Thinking of doing this myself but still a bit nervous of cutting into the plastics, probably waiting for the first few scratches

I like the smaller central screen, and what if the passenger wants to see it? I also like the driver's screen as it is. I would like some redesign to utilise the space better (on both screens), and the external temperature to appear on the driver's screen next to the time.

I'm OK with the climate controls, although I haven't seen the system you're talking about. However I am absolutely with you on the driver profiles - this should be a priority.

Front parking sensors on SE - the rear ones are brilliant.

I would pay for a better sound system, radio as well as speakers (amp too maybe).

I would like electrically folding wing mirrors on the SE and the ability to disable that infernal auto-locking (I think that last is a bug that needs fixing).

I think faster AC charging on all models, such as the LR phase one cars had.

The ability to pre-heat the car while plugged in but not charging, ditto turn on battery heating (so that it would hopefully take the power for that from the mains).

Fix the stupid bugs with the central screen temperature settings and the SoC bar (which doesn't change colour as should on most cars).

Finally, a sunroof. And a brighter interior feel.

These would be mine (short and sweet) :-

1). User Profiles - It should save profies and make it easy to default back to them each restart.

2) LKA should have an easy switch off button at the end of the left stalk, like many other brands.

2). Wireless CarPlay - Much easier to use (I've had it on last two cars).

4). Battery Improvements for More Range, Lighter and Faster Charging

5) A few options would be nice - Different Alloys / Tyres to choose, Sunroof, Physical Spare wheel, Electric tail (hatchback), Winterpack,

6) Vibration free Xpower steering wheel !

7) Better ambient lighting inside the car along doorstrips etc. as well as a rear roof light.

Would be nice to have:
A frunk (yes there is room for a small one)
Auto close/open windows from the key fob
Better cabin lighting
A radio that actually works with buttons for preset stations
A year’s supply of Werthers Originals

Plus of course a fix for all the software glitches and hardware omissions from the first generation models.

1: software that works. Like usb media player on par with other brands. Wireless Android auto.
2: lighter colour interior and ligt above the back seats.
3: better seats.
4: better soundsystem.
5: physical buttons for heated seats and steering wheel. And for LKA if it cant be turned off permanently.

That is about it, the base car is quite good.

I'd like them to fix the bugs and then make better use of what they already have - eg redesign the driver's display which has tons of wasted space and could offer choices like digital dials for speed and range.

I'm not keen on adding things that would add £3-4k to the price because the selling point of the MG4 is really value plus driving experience - so improving the XPower handling would be good, but not panaromic roofs and complicated seat cooling systems.

By the way, the XPower is already a Phase2 car, and presumably there'll be a Phase3 next year followed by a proper refresh.

I'd like them to fix the bugs and then make better use of what they already have - eg redesign the driver's display which has tons of wasted space and could offer choices like digital dials for speed and range.

I'm not keen on adding things that would add £3-4k to the price because the selling point of the MG4 is really value plus driving experience - so improving the XPower handling would be good, but not panaromic roofs and complicated seat cooling systems.

By the way, the XPower is already a Phase2 car, and presumably there'll be a Phase3 next year followed by a proper refresh.

I get your point, it would be nice to have the option though, so you can pick & choose some features.

Pan Roof / Glass Roof I feel opens up the car so much, and when I had a Tesla, I loved that about it.

I get your point, it would be nice to have the option though, so you can pick & choose some features.

Pan Roof / Glass Roof I feel opens up the car so much, and when I had a Tesla, I loved that about it.
I am not saying it wouldn't be nice - it would - but then it would cost the same as a Tesla.

Yes, I agree, having the choice would be nice but part of the reason for the low price is the lack of options: simplifies the factory (and therefore saves money).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back