Worried about MG ZS EV range

RobinH

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
TLR, had it since November. On my commute, with heating on 21°C and doing 70 where possible on the motorway stretch, I normally see 3.0 kWh/mile. Yesterday it was 3.5!!!
Should I be worried? Has there been an OTA update? Should I call the dealer? What is causing the battery to be super-energised? Will it burst into flames? Will charging the extra miles range cost me more....?
I DIDN'T DO ANY RESEARCH BEFORE SPENDING £30K ON A CAR SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!
😉

Enjoy the car and don't worry about the range or miles to kwh. I drive mine like an ice car.
If I do go on a long journey I will plan chargers on route. If you are worrying about this and that you will missed the pleasures of driving an EV so enjoy the car.

3miles/kWh is ok for the winter, 3.5miles/kWh is obviously better so you won't use so much of the battery. When the summer comes you may see mid to high 4miles/kWh.
The car does the charging so plug it in and let it look after itself.

The higher the M/KWh the more efficient your car is performing and the longer it will travel in total distance !.
Use of the HVAC will reduce your efficiency.
It is possible to see 5 M/KWh if you drive like “Miss Daisy” and the weather conditions are perfect and you are heading down hill 🤣.
In this case, the bigger the number the better.

As you get older, your bladder is a very good indicator that you should NOT be driving longer distances anyway !.
Then the GOM meter takes on a totally different meaning altogether.
GOM then really means this - "Getting Older More" which requires more toilet stops !.

TLR, had it since November. On my commute, with heating on 21°C and doing 70 where possible on the motorway stretch, I normally see 3.0 kWh/mile. Yesterday it was 3.5!!!
Should I be worried? Has there been an OTA update? Should I call the dealer? What is causing the battery to be super-energised? Will it burst into flames? Will charging the extra miles range cost me more....?
I DIDN'T DO ANY RESEARCH BEFORE SPENDING £30K ON A CAR SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!
😉
I have recorded quite scientifically a significant increase in range since I have been doing similar long journeys in the order of around 10-15%. When I did the maths a couple of weeks back I saw that the car was slightly under stating the miles per kWh. But of course, actual rather than reported range is the most important thing. I get the sense that the car is getting better with multiple charge/discharge cycles, which others have stated is a phenomenon that is often found with lithium batteries in mobile phones. I'm not worried, I think it's a positive.

I get the sense that the car is getting better with multiple charge/discharge cycles, which others have stated is a phenomenon that is often found with lithium batteries in mobile phones. I'm not worried, I think it's a positive.
You may find that this improvement is due to a general longer economy of driving and this positive average is part of the equation the car does when calculating range potential.

You may find that this improvement is due to a general longer economy of driving and this positive average is part of the equation the car does when calculating range potential.
Yes, if you rely on the GOM. However, what I did was calculate actual miles travelled according to Google Maps, not the cars trip computer and actual kW's of electric added to the battery to calculate my miles per kWh figures.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom