Worrying fact about my mg5

Wow o wow
Hi Les after 5weeks the insurance company decided to write the car off they said it was due to structural damage,it’s been a absolute nightmare I’m a taxi driver and I’ve been on the phone just about every day unbelievably they sent it to a garage for a estimate the garage told them they did not have the technology to repair the car the insurance company left it there for 2wks when I questioned why they haven’t moved the car they said the car was in a dangerous condition and nobody would move it I pointed out that the car had already been moved twice and I couldn’t understand the problem eventually they moved it to a mg dealer who’s estimate was £14,000 to repair it . So they’ve wrote it off ,I went to the dealer I bought the car off to see about buying another one this was last week and the price from last Monday to last Friday went up by £740 when I asked them why they said that mg told them they were selling the cars to cheap and it was causing problems with the “market” so I’m just waiting for my car they reckon I’ll get it on Friday.
Still can’t understand how a car can be written off for structural damage but the damage wasn’t enough to set the airbags off( not that I’m complaining about them not deploying).so that’s where I’m at sorry it went on a bit but hopefully I’ll be back at work next week. (Believe it or not this is a very short explanation of what happened).
WOW O wow Harves what a bad time you have had, don’t know who you are insured with but I will/would avoid them for sure cant understand what the heck they are playing at. I’m with LV and in this situation and for the first year the car in a situation like this would be replaced with a like for like vehicle but it appears you have had to order a new one yourself Terrible the way you have been treated in your case, I hope you have gone for the long range one that’s just arrived I know it a bit more expensive for that one but the older one the mk1 if you like is now discontinued so I would think the dealers would be dropping the prices to try and shift them out of there stock now the new one is about to go on sale have you had a shop around you can get a car from anywhere you want not sure if you know that and have it delivered to your door that’s what I did when I purchased my MG5 but the bloody insurance company should be replacing it not you running about terrible ho I forgot to say thank you for your update bad as it is
Les

Hi Les after 5weeks the insurance company decided to write the car off they said it was due to structural damage,it’s been a absolute nightmare I’m a taxi driver and I’ve been on the phone just about every day unbelievably they sent it to a garage for a estimate the garage told them they did not have the technology to repair the car the insurance company left it there for 2wks when I questioned why they haven’t moved the car they said the car was in a dangerous condition and nobody would move it I pointed out that the car had already been moved twice and I couldn’t understand the problem eventually they moved it to a mg dealer who’s estimate was £14,000 to repair it . So they’ve wrote it off ,I went to the dealer I bought the car off to see about buying another one this was last week and the price from last Monday to last Friday went up by £740 when I asked them why they said that mg told them they were selling the cars to cheap and it was causing problems with the “market” so I’m just waiting for my car they reckon I’ll get it on Friday.
Still can’t understand how a car can be written off for structural damage but the damage wasn’t enough to set the airbags off( not that I’m complaining about them not deploying).so that’s where I’m at sorry it went on a bit but hopefully I’ll be back at work next week. (Believe it or not this is a very short explanation of what happened).
I'd guess it's a similar situation to this:

They don't offer a repair service even if it would be relatively cheap, so the only manufacturer option is a replacement.

Car accident and written off within first year of ownership since new, your insurance should pay for an “as new” replacement or pay for a new car cost. I’m sure GAP insurance is only useful after first year ownership for new cars. I’m no expert but that’s my understanding of how it works.
Looking at your picture, I’m not surprised your airbags didn’t deploy as the car in front seemed to have lifted above your bonnet and therefore not activated the airbag switching within the front subframe.
Looking at the glass half full, glad to hear no injuries and you can now order a LR MG5!

We have taken out GAP insurance on both of our EVs direct from a insurance provider.

The cost was very low and covers the cars for three years, most body repair shops are not yet equipped to carry out full body repairs on EVs.
this will no doubt change in time as the market finds it feet in regard EV service & repair.

They may even be able to proved a service invoice for a EV and not charge for engine oil & filter !.

In my job I've been to numerous car crashes. I've seen cars with minimal damage with the air bags deployed. I've also seen cars in a worse state than yours with no deployment. As others have said, they go off depending on feedback from the sensors. Best to get them checked if you're concerned though 👍

I am glad you all are well.
But about the airbags, (sorry if I say something wrong) as my knowledge, in most os the car, the airbags sensors is located in the bumper areas, and the big impact your car suffered is on the hood, I believe this is the reason the airbags doesn't deployed.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom