Would you consider the Ora Funky Cat instead of an MG4?

Miles Roberts CG

Prominent Member
MGEVs.com Sponsor
Reaction score
I wonder if the launch of the new First Edition+ version of the Ora Funky Cat would make prospective MG4 owners look again?

The First Edition+ has:
✅
63kWh battery with 260 miles WLTP range
✅
Panoramic opening sunroof
✅
Auto-park assist
✅
Heated & Vented & Massage memory seats
✅
Front and Rear parking sensors (with 360 cameras)
✅
Powered tailgate
✅
Privacy Glass
✅
Two-tone paint
✅
5-year UNLIMITED MILEAGE warranty on full car (Plus 7-year, 80k miles warranty on the Battery and EV components)

All for £33,795, which isn't much more than the MG4 Trophy, which doesn't have a lot of those features available even as options...
https://gwmora.co.uk/.../ora-funky-cat/first-edition-plus/

GWM_ORA_FunkyCat_Group.jpg

1697193030088.png
1697193062248.png

What do you think? Are there any of those features which you wish were available on the MG4?

I, for one, would love a panoramic roof on the MG4. I also quite like the option of lighter/brighter/not black interiors.

Last edited:
I’m guessing that not having a pic of the exterior in the OP was deliberate? Can see why, when it seems to have somewhat Marmite looks. Definitely not for me…

No, apart from the looks (including interior) the handling isn't great. Ora is clearly trying harder but I will be waiting until their next generation designs to consider them.

And no, none of those features would tempt me - although I would think about the pano roof, that would be nice, but not at the expense of headroom or significant extra cost.

I considered for a brief moment then heard new owners say how disappointed they were with it and only yesterday a new video was uploaded of Chinese cars blowing up - on video I saw a funky cat go and a BYD dolphin go.
Not once was MG4 seen or mentioned.

I’m guessing that not having a pic of the exterior in the OP was deliberate? Can see why, when it seems to have somewhat Marmite looks. Definitely not for me…
Sorry, picture didn't upload as it was too high resolution. Now rescaled and added.

I actually like the front of it.

The boot capacity looks less than the MG4. What about software reliability and customer service?
The boot is smaller, yes.
The software has had a couple of updates since launch - they do seem quite proactive in getting fixes out as soon as an issue is identified.
Customer service - well, I guess that depends on the dealer. At Chorley Group, we're trying to look after everyone in the same way as we do with our MG customers.

When will the MG4 receive a significant facelift?
I imagine it won't be until 2026 at the earliest. They need to update the ZS EV, HS, and MG3 first.

I imagine it won't be until 2026 at the earliest. They need to update the ZS EV, HS, and MG3 first.
Then I'll be comparing the facelifted MG4 with the next version of Ora products, most likely.

I do think Ora are going to get it right... just haven't quite hit the mark yet. The competition between Chinese makers will be intense.

The car looks small and it's plug-ugly. Quite a lot of these features I actively don't want, although I would quite like a sunroof. Also, since I'm comparing it with the SE SR, it's too expensive.

I'd just like the things my car is supposed to have to work properly. I want the USB player to work - they supply it, so why not supply one that works? I want to be able to disable the automatic central door locking, it's giving me a nervous breakdown. And I want a radio that doesn't come on every time I sit down in the car.

Face-lifts and additional features are all very well but maybe fix the existing problems first?

The car looks small and it's plug-ugly. Quite a lot of these features I actively don't want, although I would quite like a sunroof. Also, since I'm comparing it with the SE SR, it's too expensive.
Size wise, it's almost identical in size to the MG4, hence my comparison.

L x W x H
MG4 = 4,287 x 1,836 x 1,504mm
ZS EV SE = 4,323 x 1,809 x 1,625mm
Ora FC = 4,235 x 1,825 x 1,603mm

MG4 is around 5cm longer, and 1cm wider than the Ora, but 10cm lower overall. The increased height of the Ora Funky Cat does give it plenty of interior passenger space, but the boot capacity suffers vs the MG4.

The height of the Ora is within 2cm of the ZS EV (if you exclude the roof rails).

Size wise, it's almost identical in size to the MG4, hence my comparison.

L x W x H
MG4 = 4,287 x 1,836 x 1,504mm
Ora FC = 4235 x 1825 x 1603mm

MG4 is around 5cm longer, and 1cm wider than the Ora, but 10cm lower overall. The increased height of the Ora Funky Cat does give it plenty of interior passenger space, but the boot capacity suffers vs the MG4.

I just don't like its looks, whereas I like the looks of the MG4. It's a very personal thing. Also, being able to carry a bicycle in the back is important to me. The MG4 takes it easily and I have my doubts about the Funky Cat.

The bike just fitted into my Golf GTi. (With the front wheel removed, obviously.) I was quite surprised to find that it goes into the MG4 very easily with room to spare. Based on how both cars fitted into my garage I'd have said they were the same length. I can only assume the MG4 has a shorter bonnet (no engine!) and so a longer load bed.

But as I seldom have back seat passengers a roomy back seat isn't something I look for.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back